Hi Every one,

One feature which I would like to recommend to BlackBerry is that they should Give an timely activation of wifi connection.
    As my daily routine is fixed such as departure from home to office or departure from office to home so my BlackBerry should automatically start the wifi when I am at home or at office. And when I am not in wifi range it should automatically switch to network ie 2G or 3G.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:24 AM
    Uhh.. it does assuming you set your WiFi to auto connect and leave it enabled. I can leave my house and it will flip to LTE when out of WiFi range and then when I come home, as soon as I get in range it flips back to WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:31 AM
    Isn't that how wifi already works? As long as you have the networks saved it will automatically join the wifi when in range, and switch back to your carrier network when no saved wifi networks are in range.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:32 AM
    Indeed works that way already as probably almost all smartphones do.
    03-17-13 07:42 AM
    But keeping wifi always on consumes lot of battery. We can save battery here when we keep in automatic mode.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:44 AM
    But keeping wifi always on consumes lot of battery. We can save battery here when we keep in automatic mode.

Posted via CB10
    Although the battery difference is negligible, you could buy some NFC tags then and use those to enable your WiFi when you walk in and disable it when you leave. Don't really have any other suggestions for you, the optimal settings are already included you're just opting to not make use of them. Every smartphone does it this way.
    03-17-13 07:46 AM
    +1.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:48 AM
    Bla 1ze, sounds like a plan this NFC tag thingy. What is it exactly and how does it work?

Mike posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:51 AM
    Actually apps like smartwifi used to do this based on location. So when you were at home and using your phone - wifi would be turned on automatically and turned off when the screen locked.
    I used to have this on my 9810 and am missing it heaps. I guess it is another missing app waiting for BlackBerry to provide apis for.

Mike posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:55 AM
    Bla 1ze, sounds like a plan this NFC tag thingy. What is it exactly and how does it work?

Mike posted via CB10
    If you Google around, you'll find there is lots of places that sell programmable NFC tags and of course, there is quite a few apps that can program NFC tags as well.

On BlackBerry 10, the best one I've come across is MyProfilesPro. It allows you to program all sorts of things, like turn WiFi on/off, disable your ringer, update BBM etc. All you do is create a task, program it to the NFC tag and voila! Anytime you're in range of the NFC tag and NFC is enabled it will perform that task.

So for example you wanted to call your Mom every time you walked in the house: Program the NFC tag to call your Mom, stick the NFC tag the door of your house and then when you walk past it your phone will start calling your mother or in this case, turn on/off WiFi.
    Macy77 likes this.
    03-17-13 07:59 AM
    Actually apps like smartwifi used to do this based on location. So when you were at home and using your phone - wifi would be turned on automatically and turned off when the screen locked.
    I used to have this on my 9810 and am missing it heaps. I guess it is another missing app waiting for BlackBerry to provide apis for.

Mike posted via CB10
    That seems alright when you are going on a purely fixed routine but I like the fact that I can pick up free wifi when I didn't know it was there. I don't want to have to go and configure each restaurant, bar, etc... that I may or may not visit in any given time.... Just pick it up when I'm in range.
    03-17-13 08:02 AM
    Cheers Bla 1ze

Mike posted via CB10
    03-17-13 08:14 AM
    Thanks, nice info
    03-17-13 08:28 AM
    Just to warn you something regarding Wifi setting in MPP (MyProfilesPro) application:

BB10 APIs for turning wifi on/off from a 3rd party app are broken. BlackBerry is aware of this because I have contacted them several times, and because this is a reported and know bug. BlackBerry has promised to fix this in future BB 10 releases.

As a result, currently, MyProfilesPro setting for wifi is half automatic:
    MPP opens the Wifi settings page and waiting for you to set it and then open MPP again so that MPP can run the other settings in the launched profile.

Whenever BlackBerry fixes the bug, MPP will automatically switch to full automatic wifi setting (so you don't need to wait for a new version of MPP).
    03-17-13 10:59 AM