I've had my Z10 since the day it came out and haven't experienced any problems with it until now. The battery life has been exceptional and all of the apps I've downloaded have been behaving as they should with no unexpected side affects. However for the past couple of days something seems to have gone terribly wrong. I just received a text from my carrier (O2) telling me I've nearly used a full gigabyte of data in the space of 15 days - something very odd for me. I'm responsible with my data - I just about use half of my 1GB allowance in the space of a month so how this happened I have no idea! The rise in the use of data has occurred only recently which makes me think that it could be either the new 10.0.10.90 update or it could be one of the apps I've recently downloaded: Whatsapp - the most like culprit, Jetpack Joyride, FaceFlow or The Guardian (a newspaper app). Since downloading the apps I've also felt the battery remaining hot throughout the day which gets even hotter when I carry out a simple task like listening to music or connecting to wi-fi. I never leave any apps open or have a stupid refresh interval period for any of my apps so could the problems be due to Whatsapp or the new update?
    03-16-13 09:28 PM
    My eyes

10char
    03-16-13 09:32 PM
    The new update hasnt increased my usage at all.
    However Whatsapp is reliant on data usage so i suspect that maybe the cause.
    especially if you have been using it a lot. try uninstalling it, and monitoring your usage then
    ruhban likes this.
    03-16-13 09:37 PM
    Your BIS compression technology is gone.... That's why.
    ruhban and DINGSTER1 like this.
    03-16-13 09:51 PM
    My eyes

10char
    LOL! I don't do things by half!
    03-16-13 10:14 PM
    Your BIS compression technology is gone.... That's why.
    That's what I thought but it can't have possibly gone through 850mb of data? If so I've made a very bad decision...
    03-16-13 10:16 PM
    The new update hasnt increased my usage at all.
    However Whatsapp is reliant on data usage so i suspect that maybe the cause.
    especially if you have been using it a lot. try uninstalling it, and monitoring your usage then
    The thing - I've hardly used it at all. At most I must have used it to send 20 messages. I've been too busy. 850mb is just unaccetable.
    sam81 likes this.
    03-16-13 10:24 PM
    There are other threads on this. It could be an android app running in the background or whatsapp also depends on your carrier I'm with Bell and they require you to still use a blackberry data plan which is I think is still using compressed data. I averaged120 to 160MBs a month with my 9810. Now I'm averaging 320MBs

Posted via CB10
    ruhban likes this.
    03-16-13 10:26 PM
    There are other threads on this. It could be an android app running in the background or whatsapp also depends on your carrier I'm with Bell and they require you to still use a blackberry data plan which is I think is still using compressed data. I averaged120 to 160MBs a month with my 9810. Now I'm averaging 320MBs

Posted via CB10
    Hmm I've got quite a few Android apps. Doodle Jump, a webworks Twitter app and a music streaming service called deezer (I'm not sure if it's available in the US). Like a couple of the other users have said a BIS plan is no longer reuiqred and even if you do have it it won't work on a Z10.
    Last edited by ruhban; 03-17-13 at 05:38 PM.
    03-16-13 10:41 PM
    I've recently received my Z10 and based on past experience with another phone (Nokia) I called Rogers before a trip to the US. I was told that turning off data before crossing the border would avoid data roaming charges. I did that, but see a small charge on my plan - probably due to about 15 min of using the navigation app. Have open ticket with Rogers to see if Nav app uses data even if data roaming is turned off.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 10:59 PM
    Data usage has not really change but I have definitely noticed that Whatsappp is a battery hog

Posted via CB10
    ruhban likes this.
    03-16-13 11:10 PM
    hold the "x" to completely close and kill the app
    ruhban likes this.
    03-17-13 12:59 AM
    Are you streaming deezer on wifi or data?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 01:43 AM
    I've had my Z10 since the day it came out and haven't experienced any problems with it until now. The battery life has been exceptional and all of the apps I've downloaded have been behaving as they should with no unexpected side affects. However for the past couple of days something seems to have gone terribly wrong. I just received a text from my carrier (O2) telling me I've nearly used a full gigabyte of data in the space of 15 days - something very odd for me. I'm responsible with my data - I just about use half of my 1GB allowance in the space of a month so how this happened I have no idea! The rise in the use of data has occurred only recently which makes me think that it could be either the new 10.0.10.90 update or it could be one of the apps I've recently downloaded: Whatsapp - the most like culprit, Jetpack Joyride, FaceFlow or The Guardian (a newspaper app). Since downloading the apps I've also felt the battery remaining hot throughout the day which gets even hotter when I carry out a simple task like listening to music or connecting to wi-fi. I never leave any apps open or have a stupid refresh interval period for any of my apps so could the problems be due to Whatsapp or the new update?
    Happened to me too I was using a lot of data randomly and by battery was draining fast and was always hot so I reload the software and everything is fine I have not re downloaded jet pack nor what's app only apps are battery guru and word soup and the only app I'm going to side load is instagram.

Another problem I found was my Hotmail wasn't working properly it wasn't pulling in my new emails so I reset that as well you should check that out.

Posted via CB10
    ruhban likes this.
    03-17-13 01:54 AM
    I too am on O2, but I got a text from them saying I had used all my data allowance for that month (1GB). After checking my account and looking at my actual data use I was only at just over 300MB used. Just checked now and I have still only used 34% of my 1GB allowance with 2 days to go still.

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Z10
    ruhban likes this.
    03-17-13 05:14 AM
    If you are running an app that is constantly updating such as like a social media app, this will certainly eat data. Some people have a number of these running in the background. If you are using the maps, these are updated as locations are changed. Close map programs when they are not needed. End social media programs if not being used.

There are some push software such as ones that keep updating weather and markets. These being active will eat some data as well. With any of these if graphics or pictures are involved this will use a lot of data.
    ruhban likes this.
    03-17-13 06:54 AM
    My 9860 never went over 550mb of data... as of my 22 day with z10 I'm at 3.2 gigs. And it's on wifi much of the day at home and work. It's only in between I use LTE.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:10 AM
    For the battery heating- mine did this once. A reboot fixed the problem
    ruhban likes this.
    03-17-13 08:25 AM
    I've recently received my Z10 and based on past experience with another phone (Nokia) I called Rogers before a trip to the US. I was told that turning off data before crossing the border would avoid data roaming charges. I did that, but see a small charge on my plan - probably due to about 15 min of using the navigation app. Have open ticket with Rogers to see if Nav app uses data even if data roaming is turned off.

Posted via CB10
    I've turned mine off and it seems to be working. None of my internet based apps will work. Even the BlackBerry logo in the right hand side, top corner disappears when I turn it off.
    03-17-13 05:40 PM
    hold the "x" to completely close and kill the app
    How can you be sure that this method works? The app closes as it does with a normal tap of the 'x'.
    03-17-13 05:42 PM
    Data usage has not really change but I have definitely noticed that Whatsappp is a battery hog

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I really found that out for the few days I've had it! My battery would struggle to last 6 hours!
    03-17-13 05:44 PM
    Are you streaming deezer on wifi or data?

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Nothing. I make sure all of my apps are closed.
    03-17-13 05:44 PM
    Happened to me too I was using a lot of data randomly and by battery was draining fast and was always hot so I reload the software and everything is fine I have not re downloaded jet pack nor what's app only apps are battery guru and word soup and the only app I'm going to side load is instagram.

Another problem I found was my Hotmail wasn't working properly it wasn't pulling in my new emails so I reset that as well you should check that out.

Posted via CB10
    Wow! How did you know I had problems with my push email as well? I'll have to try that sometime soon! Did you just delete the account and sign back in? A reload is also what I was thinking but I'm reluctant to do it because I don't want to mess it up.
    03-17-13 05:47 PM
    I too am on O2, but I got a text from them saying I had used all my data allowance for that month (1GB). After checking my account and looking at my actual data use I was only at just over 300MB used. Just checked now and I have still only used 34% of my 1GB allowance with 2 days to go still.

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Z10
    I was shocked too when I got that text from them but when I went to check I was horrified to find that they were telling the truth
    03-17-13 05:48 PM
    If you are running an app that is constantly updating such as like a social media app, this will certainly eat data. Some people have a number of these running in the background. If you are using the maps, these are updated as locations are changed. Close map programs when they are not needed. End social media programs if not being used.

There are some push software such as ones that keep updating weather and markets. These being active will eat some data as well. With any of these if graphics or pictures are involved this will use a lot of data.
    I'll double check with the weather apps
    03-17-13 05:49 PM
47 12