I have four Z10's in the family, all on Telus network. I just received notification that one had exceeded the monthly data . Upon investigation it showed that during last night (March 15/16), it used 1GB of data between 11:43 pm and 8:00am in amounts of 95.37MB every 57 minutes while connected to WIFI. I checked the other three and the same thing the previous night (March 14/15). Any ideas what is going on, as each phone has now incurred $35 of excess data! all the while connected to WiFi. The only common apps between all 4 are what came pre-loaded. Talked to Telus and they were no help.

Thanks
    34torch and proteinshake like this.
    03-16-13 04:01 PM
    what settings do you have?
    03-16-13 05:32 PM
    This is weird!!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 05:34 PM
    Data plan usage on wifi? That is almost the weirdest part...
    Russell McNeil likes this.
    03-16-13 05:38 PM
    Are you using box and syncing with it?
    03-16-13 05:39 PM
    Data plan usage on wifi? That is almost the weirdest part...
    Yes that is
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    03-16-13 05:40 PM
    I have four Z10's in the family, all on Telus network. I just received notification that one had exceeded the monthly data . Upon investigation it showed that during last night (March 15/16), it used 1GB of data between 11:43 pm and 8:00am in amounts of 95.37MB every 57 minutes while connected to WIFI. I checked the other three and the same thing the previous night (March 14/15). Any ideas what is going on, as each phone has now incurred $35 of excess data! all the while connected to WiFi. The only common apps between all 4 are what came pre-loaded. Talked to Telus and they were no help.

Thanks
    Double check your phone is really connected to your wifi. Is the name of your network under the word "Wi-Fi" when you swipe down when on the home screen? Can you access the Internet if you turn off 4G / LTE?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 05:44 PM
    All 4 phones are connected to wifi. I have turned the mobile network off and they are connected to wifi and I can browse the internet. In fact when I looked at the usage of the first phone, you can see when it was at home on wifi (no data) and when it went out using data. We left the house at 6:20 (data started) and got home at 10:40 (data stopped). Then at 11:43 pm the big data started. The only app all phones have in common are the pre-loaded apps. We do not use box or any kind of data sync and not all phones used the large data on the same days, so it can't be that the wifi disconnected. I would be curious if anyone else on Telus, check your data usage on the nights of March 15/16.
    03-16-13 06:52 PM
    We're on Bell and no problems here. We are constantly on our phones too.
    03-16-13 06:58 PM
    Sounds like it might be a Telus issue cause that isn't normal! And I have never had an issue on my Z10 data has been good for me

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 07:00 PM
    I am having the same issue with one of the two z10's we have. It is on Telus as well. I can't figure out what is happening. The one phone has now reached the $500.00 data max dollar amount. It all started on the 10th of March. Before that, the average per day usage was between 125/200mb per day.
    Any help with this would be great as my billing cycle ends today. Possible the end of use for the z10 if I can't figure out what is happening.
    03-17-13 03:03 PM
    What network are you on? I'm fairly certain it is a Telus network issue, and this data should not be showing on your/our statement (i.e. not chargeable). What I have also noticed is that when I log into my account and review data usage, it shows data which then disappears the next time you log in. It did this today, showed about 5mb of data around 7:00 when I was at home on wifi. When I logged in an hour or so later, this data was then gone.
    03-20-13 01:59 PM
    What network are you on? I'm fairly certain it is a Telus network issue, and this data should not be showing on your/our statement (i.e. not chargeable). What I have also noticed is that when I log into my account and review data usage, it shows data which then disappears the next time you log in. It did this today, showed about 5mb of data around 7:00 when I was at home on wifi. When I logged in an hour or so later, this data was then gone.
    I'm on the Telus network as well. The billing cycle started again on the 18th and withing 18 hours it blew through 6gbs of data.
    Telus keeps telling me it is me.
    03-20-13 02:18 PM
    That is very weird. I'm on Telus and I have not had any problems at all. I just checked my data usage and I've only managed to use 821 Mb and I'm a heavy user. I only have a few days left in my cycle so hopefully my phone doesn't sketch out before then.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 03:04 PM
    Do you really have to turn data services off when connected to Wifi? I would assume Wifi automatically defaults for all your data needs after logging into it.. Am I correct here?
    03-20-13 03:19 PM
    It may have done its update using the telephone network. It is best to do the updates over WiFi if your data plan is very large.

I found with these new smart phones they are using a lot more data than before. The reason is there is less compression to have the speed. The users are wanting more performance and speed from their devices.

We have a number of the Z10's. I found with light use they can easily use 1GB average. With a lot of activity I have been using between 1.5 to 2GB with these phones. The other manufacture phones are the same. The technology in the new smart phones is all very similar in characteristics for a fair number of things. The cost for data is going down as the systems expand.
    03-20-13 04:16 PM
    But didn't he say that data was off and wifi only? How can it still blow data like that if it was turned off???
    03-20-13 04:35 PM
    I am having the same problem. I am on Telus as well. I typically go through 600-800mb of data a month. Somehow my phone managed to use up 2.1gb in the last 6 days. It appears as though its burning through data at times when I am at home, and connected to wifi. Has anyone been able to get someone at Telus to maybe shed some light on the issue? I am going to try to call tomorrow.
    03-21-13 01:49 AM
    I have been pestering them like mad. I called and tweeted them. They have DM'd me back but they are stating it is me because the old Berries compressed data. I laughed and said I didn't come off a older Berry as I was using the Note 2. They said they will look further.

Anyone else heard anything back from them. Does these dates coincide with the OS update?
    03-22-13 03:45 PM
    Weird :/ I read about these issues and was worried about my own data usage hut its actually very low...much lower than my iPhone 5 used... I've used about 500 MB since March 8th and my hands hurt from constantly constantly playing with the phone everywhere!

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 04:14 PM

Thanks
    Are you sure no one in your house just discovered bewbs on the interwebs?
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-22-13 04:43 PM
    Are you sure no one in your house just discovered bewbs on the interwebs?
    That's what I was thinking!

In all seriousness, have you tried turning off the mobile network when you are on wifi to see if you still get billed for the usage?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 04:52 PM
    I am also on Telus and have been experiencing the same heavy data usage on my daughters Z10
    The Telus website shows the following data usage early this morning (Mar24)
    3:09:20 am 0.24 mb
    4:09:20 am 69.11 mb
    5:09:20 am 77.17 mb
    6:09:20 am 78.22 mb
    7:09:20 am 77.10 mb
    8:09:20 am 14.96 mb
    316 mb in total - every hour on the hour when she is sleeping

We had a similar heavy data issue last month (however, not a pattern like this) on 1 day (695.67 mb), when we contacted Telus they could not isolate what was causing the spike, after reviewing a list of the apps my daughter has, they suggested it may be the Corus Radio app, we deleted the app, Telus refunded the $62.55 in data usage and we thought the issue was resolved until this morning. Something is going on here and after reading these postings it sounds like I am not alone. I was also told by Telus that an app is not available for the Z10 that will identify what apps are using data.
    Russell McNeil likes this.
    03-24-13 02:08 PM
    This is a little worrying. I do hope that a native data monitor comes from BBRY soon, probably the biggest app omission currently.
    03-24-13 04:13 PM
    Is there no app available to monitor data useage? I really need one and was advised by Telus a little while ago to download one to see where the data is being used. But they did not advise me to use a specific application. We do need to get some feedback from Blackberry on this I believe.

I just crossed my 500 mb monthly free allowance two weeks into the billing cycle. I have downloaded and use only one application - Nobex Radio and am certain now that this application is entirely responsible for the excess data use on my Z10. I have been using the application in a wi-fi area but when the wi-fi connection is lost the application seamlessly uses data (Telus explained this to me). The wi-fi signals in the places I have used Nobex radio (as background music when teaching group fitness classes) are sketchy - so I am sure now that Nobex was switching to data automatically at some point after I connected to wi-fi. I have no idea if the connection reverts to W-Fi when the Wi-Fi signal is restored. I am guessing that it is not. The only way to test that is to turn off the data settings when connected to wi-fi - as advised by Telus. I will experiment with this in the next week. If I had not been using this application my data useage would be within the allowed limits - last month it was under 300 mb before I downloaded this application.

To be clear I really like the application Nobex - but it must be used judiciously. When you sign into Nobex it does advise that you might be paying for data - if you are not connected to Wi-Fi. The application does NOT advise you that it may switch automatically to data if the Wi-Fi signal is dropped during use. The Nobex signal does stop streaming and you ARE alerted that to continue you may incur data charges - to which you must select yes or no - to continue listening IF you walk out of range using Nobex. So the switching I am experiencing is happening for some other reason - perhaps the Wi-Fi signal quality becomes degraded and it then switches?

There are two issues here that BB needs to address: 1) a data useage app is needed immediately; 2) applications developers need to be required to explain up front and in clear language the data use risks when running applications in wi-fi areas.

I found the Telus representative very helpful. I was offered a $25 credit even though I did not call to complain - just to get advice. Of course I accepted the credit.

Edit: 24 hours later - I turned Data Services "off" (under Settings->Network Connections -> Mobile Network -> Data Services - OFF) last night and got through a whole day with zero data usage. I used the Nobex app several times at two different Wi-Fi locations for at least 30 minutes at each place. Nobex worked fine with no drop-out noticed. It is possible to live without data or frequent email updates. I am usually either riding a bike or driving in any case and never for more than about 20 minutes. So for the way I use the Z10, having data services "off" will probably be my default choice 90% of the time. Unless someone can convince me otherwise!
    Last edited by Russell McNeil; 03-27-13 at 01:47 AM.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-25-13 11:25 PM
71 123