Good relations begin with honesty. And i will be very honest. I hated BlackBerry. Hated it. Scoffed at it. Mocked it. Abused it to be a wannabe. Until, Z10.

Wasn't quite impressed the first time. But, it grew on me. Slowly. And steadily.
    I read a little on QNx and was impressed with it. I vouched for Microsoft's Windows 8 to be the most secure of all mobile OSs out there. But as compared to QNx, WP8 feels like a door with no bolt, let alone a lock.

However, I have some questions. What is the future of BB and BB devices in general. How flexible are they? I mean, OS wise, how much can a user do? Access file system, change/tweak the OS etc.
    Also, I am not a very chat person, then do I still need BBM and do I still pay for it?
    And now that there is WhatsApp on BB, how well is it received by the BB community?

Also, I will again be honest, I am not looking forward to buy Z10 tomorrow or today. I just want to understand it all a little better.
    I have JUST bought a NeXus⁴. (And an iPad Mini).

So...are there any others like me who never even liked BB until Z10 came out and then had a change of heart suddenly?

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    03-16-13 05:05 AM
    Your honesty is appreciated and its testament to the solid work been put into developing system that draws you in and holds you. The flexibility as far as i have determined thus far, is vastly different to legacy BB os. to be able to save to and load from dropbox, and the sd card etc is just a leap in the right direction.
    Whatsapp has been a good tool for me and well received especially as its been well done, needs a bit of work but it will come in time.
    Only way to truly get to grips with it is to get one and use it. I am truly happy with mine.
    X0LARIUM and robkd like this.
    03-16-13 05:14 AM
    Why would you want to tweak a system that is optimized already ..
    So far BBRY is responsive with their users (snappy update just within weeks of debut).
    I have come over from Android. Very impressed with it. Looking forward to see lots more UX enhancements & updates. Still raw..but seriously amazing core system.

Posted via CB10
    Lehomer, X0LARIUM, si001 and 3 others like this.
    03-16-13 05:25 AM
    Since I got my Z10 I barely ever use my iPad mini... So satisfied with it.

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-16-13 06:30 AM
    First thanks for sharing your viewpoint and concerns... First and foremost to remember BB10 is a fist generation phone. If you keep that in mind you should fly along with it. As for tweaking,,, you need to be more specific as to what you want to do and why.... depending on your tastes you may or may not find the app situation lacking...I do not... as for BBM... as plans no longer require BIS you can use any plan you like and not be out any money.. as for the future of BB... As with WP8... no one knows for sure... it looks promising as far as future, BB would be around a couple of years even if BB10 flops... enough time to enjoy your phone,,,,
    03-16-13 07:50 AM
    I kept a very close eye on WP8 when it was announced/launched.

But once I saw the hardware in person wasn't quite impressed. However, Z10 is not only a good looking OS but also have a niche hardware I must say.
    Also with WP8, tons of things went wrong. Though there were little, they were enough to put off any potential buyer. But there is something about BB and particularly about Z10 that is attractive. I would go as far as to say, if things turn better from here on, my next device could be a BB.
    But it has to look like an upgrade. Feel like an upgrade. Anyways..guys thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

03-16-13 08:01 AM
    Iceborg,

My understanding is that BB10 is more flexible than iOS but less flexible than Android. For example, you get more access to the file system using USB on BB10 than you do on iOS. More importantly BB10 gives you true multitasking vs the simulated multitasking on iOS. Apps that can run in the background have also been announced, although not possible yet. This is something iOS cannot do.

In terms of flexibility, I believe Android wins out. You can change the look of your device, which you used to be able to do on BlackBerrys but we no longer have Themes. There are also more tech administration tools/apps available on Android that aren't available on BB10. That being said, Android security is worse than anybody else and overall manageability is better on BB10.

You no longer need to buy a special BlackBerry service plan from your carrier. You can use any service plan. Note that there will still be BlackBerry service plans offered which are required for the enterprise level services that BlackBerry is famous for (over-the-air encryption, compression, etc.) So if you don't use BBM, you won't necessarily be wasting money on a BlackBerry plan.

Cheers,

Posted via CB10
    dbarz and X0LARIUM like this.
    03-16-13 08:14 AM
    After buying my Z10 I rarely use my android phone. You will get hooked into the "Peek and flow" and HUB thingy. It is so convenient to manage all your communication. Also I feel BB10 to be very smooth (smoother than my iPad3). My android phone is slightly better after Jelly bean update but not even close to the smoothness in Z10 (BTW I like android a lot too). Moreover I get the option to insert a micro SD card and removable battery just like some my android phone. Good luck in getting your Z10.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-16-13 09:26 AM
    I admire the maturity of this thread, no hype, no bashing just complete honesty.

The main selling point for bb10 is the experience, so I suggest you go to a store or find a friend with one and let them demo it to you or even better play with the device yourself. In my experience, no one that played with my Z10 is disappointed, everyone is impressed.

Finally, there is no best phone just the phone that is best for you. If the Z10 meets your needs I suggest you give it a try.

posted via the CB app on my Z10
    03-16-13 10:38 AM
    I originally bought the Z10 as a "Secondary" device to use alongside my Nexus 4, but after a week of owning the Z10, I ended up selling the N4.
    nemo7 and bluetroll like this.
    03-16-13 12:27 PM
    I originally bought the Z10 as a "Secondary" device to use alongside my Nexus 4, but after a week of owning the Z10, I ended up selling the N4.
    Really?? Haha :-)
    03-16-13 12:53 PM
    A question about the email hub. On my 9900 BES I can see into or file into any of my 100+ work folders. However I cannot see or file into any of my Yahoo folders. On my iPad (given to me from work) both work and yahoo emails come into the same Mail app but I can see either set of folders and when I go to file a newly received email from my inbox the app knows which set of folders to offer to me (the work or yahoo set depending on the source of the email).

What does BB10 do in this regard? Many thanks.
    03-16-13 01:19 PM
    Great comments, OP!

I don't have my Z10 yet (coming on Friday), but being a BB user for 4 years now, I think there is a lot to be excited for with BB10, regardless of your platform of choice.

When it comes to security, BB has always shined there, and BB10 doesn't seem to wavering here. They really built upon their security advantages with BlackBerry Balance and I think that will make them very attractive in the enterprise space.

As with customization, BB10 is more like iOS than before when BBOS was more in-between Android and iOS. I believe you can access the file system but I don't know if you can do much, if anything from there.

Messaging seems to be center stage with BB10. Messages are always one swipe away no matter where in the OS you are and I think that's a vastly powerful tool, especially for a connected person such as yourself.

What really shows me that the future of BB10 is bright is the sheer swiftness of BlackBerry to act upon the immediate shortcomings of the OS. Within weeks of release, the first software update nearly doubled battery life (for some) in addition to many other bug fixes. BlackBerry has shown its full dedication to this OS and that will power BB10 into becoming a very mature and robust OS.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-16-13 01:26 PM
    I have a good feeling we will see an influx of these threads once the US launch is official. I think it will win over a lot of hearts and minds once they get their hands on it. Thanks for sharing OP.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-16-13 01:32 PM
    Honestly, I use whatsapp ONLY for chatting with friends internationally that do not have BBM. Otherwise, I could care less.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 01:40 PM
    Good to hear from someone with a genuine interest to learn and understand a new product. Most folks just start bashing everything new and what to stick with what they know. Sticking with what you know is okay but there is no need to bash innovation. Everything started new some where down the line.

BlackBerry is all about security, functionality, and getting things done in a convenient and efficient manner. Think busy, mobile user who wants to get things done fast. That's what BlackBerry is all about.

BlackBerry won't let you customize the heck out of your user interface (UI) just to be different. The UI is called BlackBerry Flow for a reason. It's designed to allow the user to flow effortlessly from one function to another without having to search for stuff. Anytime a user has to pause to look for something, that is an unnecessary delay. The UI should be providing hints and suggestions. It should be taking you to the next obvious function. Searching for the next app to run, searching for the notification, and awkward hopping between apps. The BlackBerry Hub solves this problem in an ingeniously intuitive and always accessible manner.

Of course, you can break out and use non-integrated apps, but every app can subscribe to the Hub API and issue notifications to the Hub. You can respond to Twitter, Facebook, and BBM messages directly from the Hub saving you oodles of time. The browser is the best on a mobile platform and it is probably also the fastest out there too. The OS has no lag and everything operates as smoothly as you can expect.

Other platforms have great tools, but often they're not well integrated into the platform. For example, because of the lack of integration on Android, there is no true universal search. You can search within an app but not across the entire device. If I have to search for a string anywhere, the universal search function in BlackBerry is quick and powerful. It searches everywhere, and again, apps can register with search so that their file contents can be searched as well.

Of course, BB10 is new, so there are a few issues to be addressed in upcoming releases. However, isn't that always the case with every existing platform? Every platform is constantly being improved and refined. BB10 is incredibly stable and well rounded for a brand new OS. The folks at BlackBerry are deserving of a "comeback of the year" award for their monumental effort. Rediscovering yourself isn't easy. They did it what many thought was impossible.

The new BlackBerry is all about innovation. Sure, BlackBerry stuck with the tried and true formula for a little too long, but they were really looking to develop their next generation platform. It took a while to get the right pieces in place: QNX, TAT, Torch Mobile, Certicom, Dash Navigation, etc. BlackBerry didn't just put those pieces together, they re-engineered their entire platform to build something really special. I hope you take the time to experience it. There are plenty of how-to videos and material on BlackBerry.com and on their YouTube channel.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-16-13 02:07 PM
    Good to hear from someone with a genuine interest to learn and understand a new product. Most folks just start bashing everything new and what to stick with what they know. Sticking with what you know is okay but there is no need to bash innovation. Everything started new some where down the line.

BlackBerry is all about security, functionality, and getting things done in a convenient and efficient manner. Think busy, mobile user who wants to get things done fast. That's what BlackBerry is all about.

BlackBerry won't let you customize the heck out of your user interface (UI) just to be different. The UI is called BlackBerry Flow for a reason. It's designed to allow the user to flow effortlessly from one function to another without having to search for stuff. Anytime a user has to pause to look for something, that is an unnecessary delay. The UI should be providing hints and suggestions. It should be taking you to the next obvious function. Searching for the next app to run, searching for the notification, and awkward hopping between apps. The BlackBerry Hub solves this problem in an ingeniously intuitive and always accessible manner.

Of course, you can break out and use non-integrated apps, but every app can subscribe to the Hub API and issue notifications to the Hub. You can respond to Twitter, Facebook, and BBM messages directly from the Hub saving you oodles of time. The browser is the best on a mobile platform and it is probably also the fastest out there too. The OS has no lag and everything operates as smoothly as you can expect.

Other platforms have great tools, but often they're not well integrated into the platform. For example, because of the lack of integration on Android, there is no true universal search. You can search within an app but not across the entire device. If I have to search for a string anywhere, the universal search function in BlackBerry is quick and powerful. It searches everywhere, and again, apps can register with search so that their file contents can be searched as well.

Of course, BB10 is new, so there are a few issues to be addressed in upcoming releases. However, isn't that always the case with every existing platform? Every platform is constantly being improved and refined. BB10 is incredibly stable and well rounded for a brand new OS. The folks at BlackBerry are deserving of a "comeback of the year" award for their monumental effort. Rediscovering yourself isn't easy. They did it what many thought was impossible.

The new BlackBerry is all about innovation. Sure, BlackBerry stuck with the tried and true formula for a little too long, but they were really looking to develop their next generation platform. It took a while to get the right pieces in place: QNX, TAT, Torch Mobile, Certicom, Dash Navigation, etc. BlackBerry didn't just put those pieces together, they re-engineered their entire platform to build something really special. I hope you take the time to experience it. There are plenty of how-to videos and material on BlackBerry.com and on their YouTube channel.
    I'm overwhelmed with the responses here. Thank u all for such lovely replies and some of u even made some excellent points.
    Someone asked me what do I need it for and that's a very good question to ask any potential buyer.
    I would need it largely for surfing the net. For reading articles. I have honestly given up my fantasy of reading a book on phones. Have my iPad Mini for it.

Then comes music and last but not the least camera.
    My concern turned into a nightmare last night. My wife uses my old Android phone Motorola RaZr. She keeps downloading games without understanding much and she downloaded a random game. So what's the big deal with that? When I entered the menu, there were rogue applications that didn't even have an icon. Just android bots. When u click them, nothing.
    I removed all the games she installed immediately. Now that's scary. I don't blame her. But I blame Android. I have seen countless articles accusing Android of stealing personal data. This is now a growing concern for me too. And Google Glass already has ruffled some feathers.

Also, I have one question. Some of u guys mentioned BES10. Do I have to buy BES10 separately? Or does it come by default?

03-17-13 12:24 AM
    You only need to concern yourself with BES if your running a business or been given a BlackBerry by your employer. And even then you don't need to worry to much unless your IT

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 12:37 AM
    You only need to concern yourself with BES if your running a business or been given a BlackBerry by your employer. And even then you don't need to worry to much unless your IT

Posted via CB10
    Ok. So if say none of that and I buy a Z10 on my own, will I not be as secured as someone with BES10? Or is it the same?
    I am sorry to ask this over and over. Just trying to understand how it works.
    Thanks.

03-17-13 12:43 AM
    Ok. So if say none of that and I buy a Z10 on my own, will I not be as secured as someone with BES10? Or is it the same?
    Thanks.

Basically, if you're buying a Z10 for your own, personal use, then you will never have to deal with anything other than the data plan your carrier requires you to buy with your phone. BES10 is for corporate customers so if your device is being given to you by your employer, then you'd hear mentions of it, but anything dealing with that would mostly be dealt by your IT manager. Again, if the Z10 is for your personal use, then you never have to worry about it.

This was a bit different for the legacy BB devices as those needed specific BlackBerry data plans (BIS) to connect to RIM's servers. This is not being used by BlackBerry 10 devices and the end result is that data plans used with all other smartphones are now fully compatible with BB10 devices. So, I guess security-wise, you'd be as secure as someone using an iPhone or Android device when it comes to network communications (This was confusing for me also when I became a BB user. Don't feel bad about it! )
    03-17-13 12:52 AM
    BES10 is the BlackBerry Enterprise Server V10. It's server software for enterprises to administer mobile devices. It allows companies to monitor usage, encrypt email, remotely wipe devices, set user controls and basically "lock down" employee phones. BES10 is not installed on the Z10. Instead, the Z10's enterprise functions will be enable by your IT person and BES10 (a server at your company) will set all the rules, etc. with the phone.

Don't worry about BES10. If you're getting the phone for work and they have an enterprise server, they'll hook you up to it and you can take advantage of BlackBerry Balance (separates work and personal).

Otherwise, you'll enjoy the benefits and security of the Z10 as a personal device. Being on a BES doesn't necessarily make the device any more secure. The only way it does that is by allowing the IT administrator to limit what you can install on the device.

BB10 is an extremely secure operating system by default. So just get one and be happy. Mine's pre-ordered and I hope to have it in less than two weeks!
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    03-17-13 01:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    You can download and install BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 for free (60-day trial). If you choose to continue using it after the trial period simply purchase a client access license for USD99.00 per user. Whether an organization or an individual you can deploy BES10 if you are willing.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-17-13 05:22 AM
    Thanks.

Between encrypting the device memory and media card plus assigning a device password and enabling BlackBerry Protect along with regular backups affords the non-enterprise user an equivalent level of protection.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-17-13 05:31 AM
    Ah! I feel the BlackBerry Z10 love slowly spreading around the world. And once the US get their hands on it too it's going to go full on viral! ; )

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Z10
    03-17-13 05:32 AM
    I came over from the iPhone and Android platforms and so far I have been expressed with my z10. I find myself loving the BlackBerry Hub, Flow and Gesturing concepts.

I had sold my black z10 to get a white model and had to go back to using my iPhone 5 for two days and it sucked. Once I have used the z10 for the past couple of weeks, I can never go back.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 06:20 AM