I recently emailed T mobile with a question regarding the 'pending' 4.5 release (as all T Mobile users know the 4.5 is not yet officialy available from T mobile...I check their web site regularly). As I'm on 'dial up' internet on my home PC (I know.....hold back the laughter!) I requested the new 4.5 OS upgrade on a CD-ROM. T Mobile's response: "the upgrade is not available on CD. You need to download directly from our web site".

My question to the forum: Will I be able to download from the T mobile website to a USB pocket flash drive from another 'high speed internet' computer (i.e., "Save to external (USB) drive") THEN transfer the file(s) via the flash drive to my PC for installation on my PC?

I'm just preaparing myself for the inevitable. I'm concerned about downloading such a HUGE file over a 'dial up' (READ: painfully SLOW) connection and avoiding interruptions, incomplete OR 'download failed' etc. issues.

I'm at an impasse with this concern. Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
    10-02-08 09:46 AM
    That should work.
    10-02-08 09:59 AM
    As long as they don't make you use some weird installer like what was on the BlackBerry site, you should be fine.
    10-02-08 10:23 AM
    Another option....

Maybe *you* don't have a fast connection but isn't there a friend, co-worker, relative, etc. that would be willing to d/l the file & put in onto a cd for you?

Just a thought...
    10-02-08 10:24 AM
    Or just download it and put it on your BB and take it home. That's what I do. Its bassically the same thing as using a Flashdrive

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 10:27 AM
    Go to a location with High-Speed internet... download the .exe file for the OS of your choice, then save to your flash drive. Take the flash drive to any PC and copy the .exe to the PC and install

(just like you can do with any other file / .exe )
    10-02-08 10:32 AM
    Thanks to ALL of you. I thought it was just like any other file. Save it to my USB or CD-ROM from a friends' high speed PC (even my BB MicroSD card as some of you suggested....GREAT idea! Another portable drive right in the Curve!). Then just "drag/drop" onto my home PC for installation!

Thanks for the confirmation from all of you. The vote of confidence helps this rookie user! I always start and end at this site!

"My BB Curve! I laughed......I cried.....it became part of me!"
    10-02-08 10:51 AM
    Thanks to ALL of you. I thought it was just like any other file. Save it to my USB or CD-ROM from a friends' high speed PC (even my BB MicroSD card as some of you suggested....GREAT idea! Another portable drive right in the Curve!). Then just "drag/drop" onto my home PC for installation!

Thanks for the confirmation from all of you. The vote of confidence helps this rookie user! I always start and end at this site!

"My BB Curve! I laughed......I cried.....it became part of me!"
    Then, once you have the OS file... follow the Proper Upgrade Procedure in my signature
    10-02-08 10:57 AM
    Thanks bmcclure937! I just copied your entire Upgrade/Downgrade Procedure for future reference. I appreciate your help!
    10-02-08 11:18 AM
    i just talked to a blackberry rep at t-mobile and ask him when was os 4.5 coming out and he told me that they are in training for the os 4.5 so it should be real soon.
    10-03-08 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD