I have a North American data plan from Rogers that includes 1GB that I use with my Z10, but I decided to grab a spare GoPhone SIM from AT&T to use in my Dev Alpha B. No go, unfortunately. The store was more than happy to sell me the $65 plan that supports "smartphones" with unlimited voice, text messaging, and 1GB of data, but data did not function when I popped the SIM into my unlocked Z10. Same in the Dev Alpha B.

BlackBerry 10 recognizes the SIM card as issued by AT&T and assigns their generic postpaid "phone" APN (which, of course, works fine for a postpaid SIM). GoPhone plans require "wap.cingular" to be used for the APN, however. Likewise, MVNO plans require "att.mvno" for their APN, but since even their SIM cards appear to be recognized by BB10 as issued by AT&T, they're also stuck without data (at least according to other posts I found while searching the forums and elsewhere for information).

This thread has the most details out of the few I found (but no fix). Unfortunately, this seems like something we'll be hearing more about in the AT&T subforum once the Z10 goes on sale in the United States next week...
    03-12-13 10:48 PM
    I have AT&T and had the same problem last week with my unlocked Z10. The data plan needs to be 4gLTE. It cannot be a BlackBerry plan. Once this is corrected, a small symbol that looks like the BlackBerry symbol (but missing a few dots) will appear at the top of the phone by the AT&T letters. Then you will have data. (It took me a total of 1 visit and 3 calls until my phone had everything set, but now I am very happy. I think AT&T just doesn't really know what to do with Z10s yet.)
    03-12-13 11:08 PM
    I have AT&T and had the same problem last week with my unlocked Z10. The data plan needs to be 4gLTE. It cannot be a BlackBerry plan. Once this is corrected, a small symbol that looks like the BlackBerry symbol (but missing a few dots) will appear at the top of the phone by the AT&T letters. Then you will have data. (It took me a total of 1 visit and 3 calls until my phone had everything set, but now I am very happy. I think AT&T just doesn't really know what to do with Z10s yet.)
    I'm assuming you're postpaid, not prepaid?
    03-12-13 11:15 PM
    you can actually modify the APN setting from the settings menu - mobile network - APNs..
    03-12-13 11:59 PM
    I am on a contact that is up...
    03-13-13 10:19 PM
    I have an unlocked Z10 (STL100-2) from UK market. So far Straight Talk does not work (wrong APN with APN settings non-editable) for data. Voice and text/MMS seem fine. I also tried using Simple Mobile ($50 unlimited 4G plan) and it does work (even with incorrect APN setting and non-editable). I also tried using my coworkers Tmobile/Pay-As-Go SIM and it works as well. This seems to be carrier dependent so need to make sure your carrier supports the Z10.

I would get the STL100-3 unlocked version though if you're going with a Tmobile network which supports HSPA+ band. The STL100-2 on Tmobile network only supports Edge connectivity.
    03-14-13 03:59 PM
    you can actually modify the APN setting from the settings menu - mobile network - APNs..
    Not if it has been disabled by your carrier. If you're using an AT&T or T-Mobile USA SIM card (even if it is from an associated MVNO), you're stuck. You can't make any changes to the APN settings.

I am on a contact that is up...
    AT&T postpaid accounts work fine. AT&T requires prepaid customers to use a GoPhone-specific APN and they block the generic postpaid APN. Unfortunately, BB10 preselects the postpaid APN for all AT&T SIM cards, regardless of whether they're postpaid or prepaid. Unless or until we have the option to modify the APN, that rules out GoPhone and AT&T MVNO data working for BlackBerry 10.
    03-17-13 11:55 PM
    Sorry if this Q betrays my smartphone ignorance but....I currently have at&t gophone plan but only use wifi for data. Is this different in terms of z10 data usage then the above discussion? Above seems to indicate you must have post paid data plan for z10 to work and wifi only not currently an option. I guess I may have to wait for z10 to hit straight talk someday based on costs difference. I do believe you can add data to prepaid but again the above conversation seems to indicate that would not work either due to blocked apn. Correct?
    Another thing I noticed when I checked plans with at&t is that on gophone I can get 200 txt msgs per month for 4.99 a month (about 10x more then I use) but the postpaid plans only have unlimited txt msgs for 20.00 a month which is a huge waste for me. If the BB would work wifi only for data then I could live without txt. Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by jay64; 03-18-13 at 04:32 PM. Reason: my bad
    03-18-13 04:24 PM
    The Z10 works fine for voice and text on GoPhone. If you only plan to use WiFi for data, that would work fine, as well. But there currently is no way to do data on GoPhone otherwise. So, once you're outside of WiFi coverage, you have no access to data until you're back within WiFi coverage.

Hope this helps clarify.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 01:23 PM
    I have an unlocked Z10 (STL100-2) from UK market. So far Straight Talk does not work (wrong APN with APN settings non-editable) for data. Voice and text/MMS seem fine. I also tried using Simple Mobile ($50 unlimited 4G plan) and it does work (even with incorrect APN setting and non-editable). I also tried using my coworkers Tmobile/Pay-As-Go SIM and it works as well. This seems to be carrier dependent so need to make sure your carrier supports the Z10.

I would get the STL100-3 unlocked version though if you're going with a Tmobile network which supports HSPA+ band. The STL100-2 on Tmobile network only supports Edge connectivity.
    Just got ATT Z10 and tried goPhone and Straight Talk SIM's result no data and can't change APN. Bummer...don'want to pay for post-payed plan @ $85. Is it possible the Simply Mobile SIM will work? Or do you think its because your phone is unlocked?
    03-22-13 03:26 PM
    I believe Simple Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO, which might explain why those SIM cards are working even without being able for change the APN. You'd almost certainly need to unlock the Z10, though, if it's an AT&T model. Maybe nnr can comment more on his experience?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 08:10 PM
    i too am running into the problem with my $65 smartphone gophone plan and my brand new z10 i bought last night.

i'm able to use the sim in my unlocked samsung galaxy nexus with ZERO problems at all -- MMS works, 4g data works, etc. stick the same sim in my new z10 and....no. no mms, no data, nothing.

only reason i bought the z10 to use on my gophone plan was to prevent from being stuck on a 2-year contract. so unless there's a fix, i'm returning it today and going back to the nexus or sucking it up and adding this line to my plan...
    03-23-13 12:12 PM
    well, went back to the at&t store today and ended up -- sadly -- having to return the phone.

the employee and manager both confirmed that the at&t branded Z10 would not work with the at&t $65 prepaid gophone smartphone plan and that to get all the goodies (MMS, data) I have to have the phone on a post-paid contract.

since i bought the phone outright, they were good and called corporate customer service and tried to get the phone unlocked for me but couldn't because corporate at&t said i could only get it unlocked if i was under contract... :/

(and to make it funnier, i already have three other lines on an account. this particular line is not since it's prepaid so i asked to simply take my prepaid number and add it to my family account and call it done so i could use the Z10 but then we learned another hiccup. my prepaid number is a number i've had for 8+ years with an area code different from my other three lines...so, i can't add or port that number to my post-paid account because i'm now living in a different market?? ugh. only way to get around that would be to get a new number or call customer service and convert my whole account to a business account and then try to add it...wow...the simple became hard. shoulda never left tmobile...if only their coverage was better where i'm at...)

so, i might be shopping for a legit, unbranded, unlocked Z10 now...
    03-24-13 04:39 PM
    I don't understand why you don't simply unlock the phone yourself...
    03-24-13 04:45 PM
    when i went to CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10 -- the kevin recommended place -- i wasn't willing to pay $75 on top of the $549.99 ($600+ including tax) i just gave to at&t for the phone...wait 48 hours for a code...and hope that mine was one of the 80 percent of those that have worked.

from the site:
    "Your Code May Not Work: When you do receive your unlock code, we currently have been finding that approximately 20% of Z10 unlock codes are not working when inputted into device. If this happens, we will request video proof to prevent any fraudulent claims. If your code does not work, we will refund you. Z10 unlocking is very new, so likely this will change over time. For now, this is the reality."
    03-24-13 05:08 PM
    ok I see. thanks for the heads up btw, Now I know, if I do decide to get one, I better get one from eBay-unlocked or just go with the TMobile one. Just hope it's on par with AT&T's price-wise.
    03-24-13 06:55 PM
    well, went back to the at&t store today and ended up -- sadly -- having to return the phone.

since i bought the phone outright, they were good and called corporate customer service and tried to get the phone unlocked for me but couldn't because corporate at&t said i could only get it unlocked if i was under contract... :/

so, i might be shopping for a legit, unbranded, unlocked Z10 now...
    Since you say that you have three other postpaid lines on AT&T, could you put one of your postpaid SIM cards in the Z10, then ask AT&T for the unlock code using the information from that line?

As far as porting the number, what you found is true. If MMS isn't a big deal for that number, you could port the number to Google Voice (for a one-time fee of $20), then open a new line on your postpaid account. Take whatever number that they give you for the new line and link your Google Voice number to the new AT&T number.
    03-25-13 12:24 PM
    what they said was, i hadn't fulfilled the time requirement before they would unlock it. listening to the in-store rep talking with customer service, it sounded like they were treating the z10 as if it were an iphone i was trying to unlock...meaning it would have to be x-number of months before they would allow it to be unlocked(?). either way, i was watching the simple become hard.

as for porting to google voice: i already have a gv number so i don't need another one.

all's good. i'll just shop for an unbranded and unlocked one and call it a day. or maybe go back to tmobile tomorrow when the z10 gets released there...
    03-25-13 10:33 PM
    Justen;
    Thanks so much for answering. So I could use my 10 cents a minute for voice and since I do pay 4.99 a month for 200 txt msgs both could possibly work on Z10 as a gophone. I currently only use wifi for data on my 3GS so that would be no change. I wonder if it would have to be an unlocked version or whether it would kick out of their system because the apn is locked or it would not take the imei (?) #. I really wanted to change to vzn but neither the Z10 (nor any RIMM device!) is available with the 65 plus plan (unlike every other smartphone they sell) and today they told me the nationwide single line plan is also not available with Z10. Guess they want to shoehorn everyone into the "share virtually nothing" plans now, which seems to be a common carrier virus these daze. Thanks again.
    03-28-13 05:31 PM
    I have figured out the problem with it. What you need to do is a little tricky but it will work. the only thing that may not work, if youre on an MVNO of ATT are picture messages. You need to pull the battery up slightly, far enough so you can slide the sim card out somewhat to where you go into settings, network connections, mobile network, then the APN at the bottom. At that time you will have an apn name box that can be edited. Its very tricky to do but as long as you can hold battery in from shutting phone off, you ccan enter the att.mvno in the box and hit save at the toop of the screen. You can then use the power button to turn off the phone competely. After its off, slide sim card and battery back in and turn it on. Your small g in netwrok connection will change to Capital G after a minute, and you will have the data. You can also do the same with an att prepaid plan and sim- just enter the wap.cingular instead. Hopefully it transfers to your message APN settings as well-- it is also shaded-- you go there by opening hub use menu in right side of screen to open up settings, go to text messages and you ll see the advanced atthe bottom tap that and you ll see the apn settings down towards the end. Im thinking that att prepaid wap.cingular will let picture messages work if they transfer there from main an settings from before, nbut mvno's will not because they have a different setting for that function and since the apn in messages isnt able to be edited freely-- unless you get lucky and free that box up with the trick as well on sim sliding out like i did once and couldnt anymore. But anyways, thats how I do it. Like I said its a very tricky process but it works. As long as theres a small g for your network connection data will not work. Good Luck.
    05-14-13 06:52 PM
    There is a solution for this APN issue. You have to edit the apn fields via the engineering screen. I have done this successfully myself. No need to buy unlocked version. Mine is AT&T locked running on Red Pocket mvno. Link right below.

http://m.crackberry.com/how-access-e...-blackberry-10

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 03:22 AM
    There is a solution for this APN issue. You have to edit the apn fields via the engineering screen. I have done this successfully myself. No need to buy unlocked version. Mine is AT&T locked running on Red Pocket mvno. Link right below.

How to access the engineering (Help Me!) screen on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    As mentioned above, you can change APN via the engineering screen.
    05-29-13 09:10 AM
    I have figured out the problem with it. What you need to do is a little tricky but it will work. the only thing that may not work, if youre on an MVNO of ATT are picture messages. You need to pull the battery up slightly, far enough so you can slide the sim card out somewhat to where you go into settings, network connections, mobile network, then the APN at the bottom. At that time you will have an apn name box that can be edited. Its very tricky to do but as long as you can hold battery in from shutting phone off, you ccan enter the att.mvno in the box and hit save at the toop of the screen. You can then use the power button to turn off the phone competely. After its off, slide sim card and battery back in and turn it on. Your small g in netwrok connection will change to Capital G after a minute, and you will have the data. You can also do the same with an att prepaid plan and sim- just enter the wap.cingular instead. Hopefully it transfers to your message APN settings as well-- it is also shaded-- you go there by opening hub use menu in right side of screen to open up settings, go to text messages and you ll see the advanced atthe bottom tap that and you ll see the apn settings down towards the end. Im thinking that att prepaid wap.cingular will let picture messages work if they transfer there from main an settings from before, nbut mvno's will not because they have a different setting for that function and since the apn in messages isnt able to be edited freely-- unless you get lucky and free that box up with the trick as well on sim sliding out like i did once and couldnt anymore. But anyways, thats how I do it. Like I said its a very tricky process but it works. As long as theres a small g for your network connection data will not work. Good Luck.
    I have recently bought a Q10 SQN100-3 (European) unlocked version. My plan is to use it in Brazil, where I live. But I also have an AT&T Gophone SIM and wanted to use the Q10 with that prepaid SIM while I am in the U.S., which is often. I visited the AT&T store here in Santa Monica, CA on June 21, when they finally launched the prepaid 4G for Gophones. They assured me the AT&T prepaid 4G will not work with the Q10. I guess if I am able to change the APN to wap.cingular using your described procedures, it SHOULD work. But I did not want to run the risk of ruining my new phone. Anyone in the Santa Monica/L.A. area who will do it for me on a professional basis?
    06-29-13 01:31 AM
    I'm using a Tmobile q10 (model 5) on att's go phone plan. It works fine. You will have no issues as long as your device supports the att bands, which if I recall correctly it does.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 07:35 PM
    I'm using a Tmobile q10 (model 5) on att's go phone plan. It works fine. You will have no issues as long as your device supports the att bands, which if I recall correctly it does.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have the BIS symbol next to your network signal level (the little BlackBerry dots)?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 06:47 PM
86 123 ...