I was wondering if BB10 has a "driving mode" because this would really make it stand out from the crowd.

I was on the motorway with a friend who uses the iPhone 5 and it wasn't intuitive. The phone does have Siri but incoming messages and phone calls still ring out as usual so you have to look at the small text on the screen to see who is calling, and touch the screen answer/hangup.

It'd be cool if BB10 had a simple "driving mode" built into the satnav/map app that:

- reorganises the screen to show the built in satnav + music player and nothing else.
    - displays notification information in a big font, not at a standard microscopic size like iPhone.
    - speaks out loud who is calling or who has sent a message.
    - automatically waits for a voice command when a call/message is received so you can answer/reject the call or have the message read out/reply.
    - changes to a voice-only interface so that touching anywhere on the screen activates voice control (you'd swipe out of driving mode when you finish driving).

I think a mode like this would make the phone a much more useful companion on the road. I know you're not supposed to use your phone whilst driving for safety reasons - but I think these features would help you decide if a call or message was important enough to pull over for. I think the iPhone's approach (where your phone just rings as usual) is distracting.

What other features would you like on an in-car mode?
    Last edited by cfoxx; 03-11-13 at 09:31 AM.
    imz and lactose like this.
    03-11-13 06:38 AM
    A driving mode would be a cool feature.

I have a phone holder in my car, when I get a text message by phone blinks, I can use a voice command by pressing a button my steering wheel:
    "open text messages",
    it then opens text messages, but then I have to manually open the senders messages, I can't tell it to open the actual message.

Same with "open bbm".

Would be good if it would read out the messages too, or when a text message comes in, it prompts me whether or not to read it out a loud or something.

Wishful thinking
    03-11-13 06:42 AM
    That's good thinking. I like the idea of having an active listening voice control kind of like in the QNX Bentley, assuming people keep the phone charging while driving.

I like the music and sat nav idea too, would be great to have.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 09:46 AM
    I noticed after the MR rev 10.1.0.4181 my BB-Q10 had "Drive Mode" or "SMS Announcement" capability.
    I recently switched back to BB after having an Android for 1.5 years and was disappointed this feature was not present.......however that disappointment is gone as of MR rev 10.1.0.4181, and noticing the little SMS envelope on my car radio.
    07-30-13 08:05 PM
    My old Nokia N8 had a Car Mode app that had three big buttons, for phone, music and gps very useful when the phone was in a waterproof case on the handlebars of my motorbike, the only thing missing was the ability to automatically read incoming mails and texts.
    11-10-13 04:36 AM
    Safedrive will automatically read out incoming messages but unfortunately it can not monitor the whole hub, just one account, so you have to choose 1 email account or sms and it doesn't seem to support bbm at all... if it could monitor the whole hub it would be much more useful to me.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 05:45 AM
    I was wondering if BB10 has a "driving mode" because this would really make it stand out from the crowd.

It'd be cool if BB10 had a simple "driving mode" built into the satnav/map app that:

- reorganises the screen to show the built in satnav + music player and nothing else.
    - displays notification information in a big font, not at a standard microscopic size like iPhone.
    - speaks out loud who is calling or who has sent a message.
    - automatically waits for a voice command when a call/message is received so you can answer/reject the call or have the message read out/reply.
    - changes to a voice-only interface so that touching anywhere on the screen activates voice control (you'd swipe out of driving mode when you finish driving).

I think a mode like this would make the phone a much more useful companion on the road. I know you're not supposed to use your phone whilst driving for safety reasons - but I think these features would help you decide if a call or message was important enough to pull over for. I think the iPhone's approach (where your phone just rings as usual) is distracting.

What other features would you like on an in-car mode?
    By the way, my aging Nokia (Symbian) phone has had this for years. I use it every time I drive. Love it.
    Sad that all these features are yet to make it in to the new breed of smartphones.

the only thing missing was the ability to automatically read incoming mails and texts.
    Actually, yes, your Nokia N8 had this too. It's called the 'Reader' app. Have it turned on and it'll automatically read out new text messages for you. Has been there since the old S60 days.

Remember: you can use the Situations app to automatically turn on Car Mode (and Reader and whatever else) on certain situations. For example, when it gets in close proximity to your car's bluetooth (when you turn the car on).
    11-10-13 07:09 AM
    My wife's Moto X goes into car mode automatically. I think it uses the accelerometer. It will read out any messages with a preface "message from, would you like me to read it to you? ". Of course you can say yes or no. I really like that it automatically switches to this mode (you do have the opportunity to set preferences) when you are driving.

Jason

Z10STL100-4/10.1.0.2151 - on Verizon
    11-10-13 08:00 AM
    Got fed up with my screen always off in the car cradle and I had Nokia car mode on my old phone...found this which looks good but I haven't had much practice yet

kidigi-driving-mode in the 1mobile market ...sorry i cant post links

hope this helps
    10-16-14 04:01 PM