Today when I was reading the "BlackBerry Z10 One Month Later" post and noticed a request Kevin made about being able to access the Hub from the lock screen. I thought I'd share my thought on how we should go about doing it, so here it is. It kinda makes me think of the BlackBerry Style where if you hit the volume up/down rocker then opened the phone, the message would be on the screen. So how about on the Z10, you tap on the notification icon and a small sort of "bubble" comes up like on the PlayBook when you click on the battery icon/wi-fi icon where it shows battery percentage/connectivity to your wi-fi. Then, in that icon it will show a preview of the message like who it's from, the subject of the message, etc. Also at the bottom of that icon it would say "Unlock device to view message" and when you swipe up, voila, the message is right there. However, I haven't thought of how they would do this with several messages... Or just completely scratch the previous idea and make a dedicated gestere from the lock screen to get to the hub. Any ideas?

Sent Boldly from my 9900
    03-08-13 04:10 PM
    Or a simple press and hold like the camera short cut. No need for anything else. It's a lock screen, not a portal. That's what the home screen is for

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, rjkolo and Mr_F like this.
    03-08-13 04:28 PM
    Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the lock screen if it starts showing information like message content? I don't think that this is needed. Next people will want to change settings from the lock screen.
    Stewartj1, ibpluto, nemo7 and 1 others like this.
    03-08-13 04:44 PM
    Or a simple press and hold like the camera short cut. No need for anything else. It's a lock screen, not a portal. That's what the home screen is for

Posted via CB10
    A long press on the notification icon would definitely bring added functionality to the lock screen (imo). Long pressing the email icon could take you straight to the relevant email filter in the Hub. A long press on the BBM icon could take you straight to the BBM filter page in the Hub and so on and so on.
    DocDRM and robtanz like this.
    03-08-13 06:00 PM
    Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the lock screen if it starts showing information like message content? I don't think that this is needed. Next people will want to change settings from the lock screen.
    I have to agree. I don't see the point of locking, then anyone picking up my phone being able to access my messages.
    03-08-13 06:04 PM
    Thought of this same thing earlier today. In the light of a Q10 vs. Z10 decision. To wit:

I love that on my 9900 keyboard I can short press the "K" key to lock my phone and long press it for a speed dial to my buddy marK (M is already taken as a speed dial - THAT's why!)

BB should capitalize (no pun intended) on the long press / short press on BB10 for power users - topic here is a perfect example! Both on keyboard and on icons/buttons/etc.

Is there any long press - short press integration on the Z10? Waiting for mine - U.S. AT&T. Really miss that on the PlayBook virtual keyboard (long press on "caps" key does lock caps on, and long press on certain letters does give special characters, but I always wanted the PB kb to let me long press for capitals like the BB phone physical kbs.) Also, of course PB integrates long presses in several places ( ".com" button, links, etc)
    03-08-13 06:21 PM
    Is there any long press - short press integration on the Z10? Waiting for mine - U.S. AT&T. Really miss that on the PlayBook virtual keyboard (long press on "caps" key does lock caps on, and long press on certain letters does give special characters, but I always wanted the PB kb to let me long press for capitals like the BB phone physical kbs.) Also, of course PB integrates long presses in several places ( ".com" button, links, etc)
    Long pressing is used on the Z10. With reference to the keyboard a long press on a letter will capitalize it (like it does on legacy keyboard devices). Special characters are supported in same way as on the PlayBook (long press to bring up a row of options).

With regards to the rest of the OS long pressing an item will bring up the contextual menu.

Re your point about the legacy keyboard shortcuts - I'd be in favor of seeing them supported on the Z10. You could replace the traditional long press on a key to launch an action with a shift + key press type functionality. So pressing shift + K (using your example) would call your friend Mark.

Alternatively, if they could find a way to squeeze a BlackBerry button onto the keyboard - then that could replace the shift button in the above sequence. Operations / actions could be created and edited in a similar way to how word substitution (auto text) lists are populated and handled - In the sense that you'd set the input code / sequence and then specify the desired action. So you could set it that when the BlackBerry button was pressed with K, it would ring Mark straight away (without any further prompting). Or pressing the BlackBerry button + CB could be set to launch the CB 10 app (from anywhere in the OS).
    03-08-13 07:47 PM
    I heard that if your device is locked, all you have to do is swipe up from the bottom of the screen - then swipe again to the right -- it will open the hub

I don't want someone to be able to pick up my device and access the hub - defeats the point of the lock.
    03-08-13 09:11 PM
    I understand what you're saying but I don't see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. In your instance I'd suggest using a lock password. That would prevent the unwanted access that you fear.
    03-09-13 03:32 AM
    I think there's a nomenclature issue here. I assumed when people were talking about the "Lock Screen" they were talking about when the device was password protected. Otherwise, it's not a "locked" screen is it?
    03-09-13 05:11 AM
    My understanding of the term 'lock screen' is a screen that is locked from user input. On the Z10 this is the screen with the clock, date, notifications, quick launch camera icon and upcoming appointments. If you go to settings � display (on the Z10) you'll see it referred to as a 'locked screen'.
    03-09-13 07:41 AM
    I like all the brainstorming here... keep it coming. Bottom line is there does need to be away to more quickly get to the Hub. When I have the phone sitting on the table with the red light blinking, i want that display on and into the default view of the hub *instantly*
    03-09-13 11:57 AM
    Me too. A short cut to the hub would be great. For those who do not like that there latest messages are displayed on the lock screen, there could be an option to disable such a feature...
    03-09-13 12:25 PM
    For me, I just leave it in the Hub view when I lock my device. If new notification comes in, I just swipe up to unlock, and I'm in the Hub. lol.
    03-09-13 01:14 PM
    For me, I just leave it in the Hub view when I lock my device. If new notification comes in, I just swipe up to unlock, and I'm in the Hub. lol.
    Mmm ok. Let's explore this a bit further. What if there is an option to select a lock screen wallpaper and set the hub view as the default rather than the home screen or any other screens upon swiping up to unlock?

What I'm trying to describe is that after locking, the hub is automatically 'there' after you swipe up.
    03-09-13 10:38 PM
    I think it's much better to just allow you to peek on Hub but not able to do anything on it. So a literal "peek".

The point of lockscreen is to prevent input. Especially if password protected. I can see what Kevin means, having to unlock your phone just to find a "relatively unimportant" message kind of annoys me. So, just allow us to peek into the hub and look at who's is it and what it's about, no more no less. No interacting with hub whatsoever. Of course, even this feature should be disabled when password protected. That's the point of password after all
    03-09-13 11:32 PM
    All they need is a "Hub" button on the lock screen and once you click it, you go straight into Hub. That would be pretty to code in I think.
    03-10-13 01:08 AM
    I like all the brainstorming here... keep it coming. Bottom line is there does need to be away to more quickly get to the Hub. When I have the phone sitting on the table with the red light blinking, i want that display on and into the default view of the hub *instantly*
    Why not get into the habit of leaving your device in the hub before locking it or leaving it to time out, that's where it will then go to when you unlock it.
    03-10-13 06:23 AM
    The point of lockscreen is to prevent input. Especially if password protected. I can see what Kevin means, having to unlock your phone just to find a "relatively unimportant" message kind of annoys me. So, just allow us to peek into the hub and look at who's is it and what it's about, no more no less. No interacting with hub whatsoever. Of course, even this feature should be disabled when password protected. That's the point of password after all
    Wouldn't a simpler option than that would be to allow the option of displaying the name and subject of the most recently received message?
    03-10-13 06:29 AM