Hello All,

My App was just released on BlackBerry World. It is a video downloader for YouTube. You can find it here:

BlackBerry World - Icicle - Downloader for YouTube - $2.99

It took a while for BlackBerry to approve it and in that space of time, I have managed to release bugfixes and optimization.

Why would you want this app?

I can't speak for you so I will tell you why I use this app. I have one of the first generation 64GB PlayBooks. Since I do not have 3G and because I have a long commute to work and back everyday, I use Icicle to download YouTube videos whenever I have WiFi and save them to my PlayBook. I can then view the videos on my commute. I particularly like the full length Documentaries that you can find on YouTube. Currently I do not have a download manager but I am actively working on building one so that I can then pause and continue my downloads whenever I am in a WiFi area.

Support:

Please post to this thread or contact me directly through the Support section of the PlayBook App. I hate bugs in software so I will expedite a fix or refund your money if you are not satisfied with the product.

Features:
    * Search for YouTube Videos directly from the App
    * Download and save YouTube Videos to your BlackBerry PlayBook for offline viewing
    * Paste YouTube links directly into the search tab for instant download of video
    * Filter Videos based on Quality and Size
    * Change the download name of the downloaded video
    * Save to either the Downloads or Videos folder

Here's the roadmap for whats to come:
    * Support Vimeo Downloads
    * Support SoundCloud Downloads
    * Add a Download Manager to pause and resume your Video/Audio Downloads
    * Copy links directly from PasteBin

Here are some screenshots:

Icicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000108.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000109.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000110.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000111.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000112.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000113.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000114.png
    03-07-13 09:06 PM
    This thread is at wrong location and should be moved under Playbook Apps and Games.
    03-07-13 10:40 PM
    Yes, you're right. I realized that a couple of minutes ago. I'm going to ask the Admin to move it. Sorry.
    03-07-13 10:42 PM
    port it for Z10, looks nice and I think you will find a lot of buyers for it
    03-08-13 12:17 AM
    port it for Z10, looks nice and I think you will find a lot of buyers for it
    Thanks! A Z10 version is in the works as I type this.
    03-08-13 12:26 AM
    Boom! moved...
    sheran likes this.
    03-08-13 06:53 AM
    I purchased stereotube based on the reviews on CB and BB world, Began regretting my actions just a few minutes after having used the app. The real shock came after wanting a refund, BB world has NO provision for such cases. This is stupid and i won't be buying anything from BB world unless they fix it. It's a major issue for me, Every other platform that I've used allows the user to either try the apps before buying or offer them a refund.
    03-08-13 07:34 AM
    Boom! moved...
    Thanks!
    03-08-13 07:53 AM
    I purchased stereotube based on the reviews on CB and BB world, Began regretting my actions just a few minutes after having used the app. The real shock came after wanting a refund, BB world has NO provision for such cases. This is stupid and i won't be buying anything from BB world unless they fix it. It's a major issue for me, Every other platform that I've used allows the user to either try the apps before buying or offer them a refund.
    I know BlackBerry World has no good refunding system. In my case, with a few of my past apps, I would refund directly through PayPal. So if you ever purchased my app and are dissatisfied, then please shoot me an email with a copy of your BB World Purchase email and your PayPal ID and I'll send back your cash.
    03-08-13 07:55 AM
    Its a Jquery HTML5 app! Very nice
    03-08-13 08:29 AM
    This looks pretty cool. Please try to bring it to the Z10. Good work bro

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 01:14 PM
    So how is this app different from using sites like file2hd to download you tube videos? why pay for something that is free elsewhere?
    03-08-13 02:58 PM
    Yes, can someone tell me how this works? I'm interested.
    03-09-13 03:40 AM
    Yes, can someone tell me how this works? I'm interested.
    You can search for videos on YouTube and then download them directly to your PlayBook as MP4 or 3GPP files. You can then watch these videos at any time without being connected to the Internet.
    03-09-13 06:53 AM
    So how is this app different from using sites like file2hd to download you tube videos? why pay for something that is free elsewhere?
    Icicle offers a speed advantage over other sites using the browser since I'm fetching directly from the YouTube servers and not from a third-party server. As always, I leave the choice up to the users if they want to pay for it or to get a similar service for free elsewhere.
    03-09-13 07:06 AM
    So you're not using third party sites like Dirpy? If so, I'm buying your app now. I bought stereotube thinking it was a youtube downloader and got burnt. Does your app work with bridge BIS?
    03-09-13 04:24 PM
    So you're not using third party sites like Dirpy? If so, I'm buying your app now. I bought stereotube thinking it was a youtube downloader and got burnt. Does your app work with bridge BIS?
    Correct, I do not use a third party site for downloading the videos. The app fetches the video directly from the YouTube servers. I haven't tested the app with bridge BIS to be honest because I no longer have a BlackBerry smartphone so I won't be able to tell you if it works or not.
    03-09-13 08:20 PM
    Can someone please test the app for me with Bridge BIS?
    03-10-13 05:04 AM
    what is the deal when switching to bb10 will it work and will we have to pay again.
    just got it seems to work fine although I think its not meant to download any video. some videos say something about media rigths won't allow to fetch data on sites other than youtube

also would it be a lot to as if you can add the music folder as a ddownload location? if possible.
    Last edited by osbook; 03-10-13 at 04:41 PM.
    03-10-13 04:13 PM
    Osbook, please attempt downloading videos with Bridge BIS
    03-10-13 06:45 PM
    what is the deal when switching to bb10 will it work and will we have to pay again.
    just got it seems to work fine although I think its not meant to download any video. some videos say something about media rigths won't allow to fetch data on sites other than youtube

also would it be a lot to as if you can add the music folder as a ddownload location? if possible.
    In all honesty, the two platforms are quite different so in effect it was like writing a whole new app for the Z10. Thus I would most likely make this chargeable as well. How about this: as soon as I release the app, I will setup a web page where you can submit your BlackBerry Playbook Appworld purchase receipt and then I will refund you the money you spend on the Z10 version and vice-versa through PayPal. Does that sound fair?

With regard to the download restrictions, this is something I haven't yet tackled, I don't have a firm idea if this problem can be fixed given the limitations of the platform. If you guys have an idea of any apps/sites that allow restricted videos to be downloaded, then please let me know via PM. Rest assured that this will always be the quest with Icicle.

Just as a heads up, that the Z10 version will most likely be sent out to BlackBerry for approval either Monday or Tuesday.
    03-10-13 08:06 PM
    well I meant the update for the playbook version I currently don't have a z10. for now everything seems to work fine though so cool app.

one advantage I did find over using this is you avoid all the copy and pasting and switching around app or webpage you have everything there easy and with options. only downside is the digital management rigths thing wich honesly with cispa out there I found also helpful. so thanks
    03-10-13 10:02 PM
    Osbook, please attempt downloading videos with Bridge BIS
    I'm sorry Ishaq I don't have a bb phone for now. I would like to be of help but sadly I cant. if somehere in town has one ill ask but its a hard bet rigth now
    03-10-13 10:04 PM
    Hi Again!

I wanted to write in an express my gratitude to all of you who have been supporting the app! Thank you very much. I also wanted to let you guys know that I've submitted release 1.0.1.313 to BlackBerry world and it has a brand new feature - Previews! Now you can quickly preview a video before you download it to figure out if you really want to save it or not. Some screenshots below. I also made it so you can just hit Enter on your virtual keyboard to search rather than having to manually dismiss the keyboard and then hit the search button. Hopefully a lot more to come!

Icicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000120.pngIcicle - A Downloader for YouTube [Playbook]-img_00000123.png
    osbook likes this.
    03-15-13 11:29 PM
    As promised, I just submitted build 1.0.1.434 to BlackBerry World. Here's what's new in this build:

• Download almost all videos including restricted Music Videos
    • Added a new save location /media/music
    • Made the save location sticky so you don't have to keep setting it all the time

As soon as BlackBerry approves the build, you guys should start seeing the update notices. Enjoy!
    03-17-13 09:27 AM
36 12