A very detailed breakdown of pros and cons for the writer using the device for the past 30 days including a trip to Spain for the MWC. Found very useful to know what the Z10 experience is like since its yet to be released in the US from a non BlackBerry user. It is also encouraging that some of the cons, will be ironed out by the time the US launch rolls around or shortly afterwards.

Back to BlackBerry: closing time
    anon(3310921) and Snap51 like this.
    03-07-13 04:53 PM
    Indeed. . .hope our friends in Waterloo are giving this a really good read over. . .
    03-07-13 04:59 PM
    Actually that's not a bad article. I think what it does demonstrate is that it is going to take a lot to change someone's daily driver choice but what I get out if it is that BB10 is the most likely candidate to accomplish that.

I think the ability to run Android apps is a huge potential hook. While it certainly isn't the only possible hook, BlackBerry has an opportunity here. The biggest problem consistently cited is the lack of apps but at the same time, almost universal praise for the flow and communication capabilities. Basically the actual OS is a revolutionary powerhouse that is light on the bells and whistles. Enter Android. BlackBerry should get the 'droid player up to the current standard and there you have it...people will have their reason to come over to BB.

The Draw: BB10's natural ability to communicate and be a fluid and rewarding experience.

The Hook: the ability to play all the latest android apps so that switchers can still get their bells and whistles.

The added Bonus: As BB10 gets moving, more and more native apps will come and fill/ improve the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    GTiLeo and Dapper37 like this.
    03-07-13 05:32 PM
    Ya. On balance a good article. All the criticism is apt, but I think the author underestimates the value of novelty and exclusivity / uniqueness, a facet that has been demonstrated through its launch in Canada and the uk (amongst others) despite the author's criticism remaining

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 05:49 PM
    It is a good and honest review. One tweak would be indeed to have correspondence in threads as so much communication is chained nowdays. The rest of the article's suggestions seem to be mostly about apps. That will come in time. The comment about the hook is interesting. I suppose that is the challenge for the folks in marketing to find that feature or set of features that are the undiscovered "hook".
    03-07-13 05:58 PM
    I've read all the entries, and this last entry is pretty balanced. I think the flow of the OS makes it quite unique. BlackBerry just needs to find that hook that will get people to give it a chance and perhaps stick with it. With that said, damn Verizon needs to hurry the eff up!
    03-07-13 06:07 PM
    Actually that's not a bad article. I think what it does demonstrate is that it is going to take a lot to change someone's daily driver choice but what I get out if it is that BB10 is the most likely candidate to accomplish that.

I think the ability to run Android apps is a huge potential hook. While it certainly isn't the only possible hook, BlackBerry has an opportunity here. The biggest problem consistently cited is the lack of apps but at the same time, almost universal praise for the flow and communication capabilities. Basically the actual OS is a revolutionary powerhouse that is light on the bells and whistles. Enter Android. BlackBerry should get the 'droid player up to the current standard and there you have it...people will have their reason to come over to BB.

The Draw: BB10's natural ability to communicate and be a fluid and rewarding experience.

The Hook: the ability to play all the latest android apps so that switchers can still get their bells and whistles.

The added Bonus: As BB10 gets moving, more and more native apps will come and fill/ improve the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    agreed
    03-07-13 10:22 PM
    Good article. I read the other two that thus author had and he was leaning to these same conclusions from the start. Having said that, he was open minded enough to write an article having actually used the device as a real professional would (I'm looking at you Gizmodo and C-Net... learn a thing or two from this).

Anyway, I found myself agreeing with everything he said as negatives to the platform, and that is also where I disagree on his points.

Most of the stuff he complained about were things that can be fixed pretty easy (except for app quantity and quality of course), and though I agree that BlackBerry World needs more filters, I've managed to find apps and get on with life. Completely irrelevant to how that makes the phone "Not the first choice".

I also agree with the fact that a lot of users won't want to learn sideloading, but to basically say almost all does a disservice to the tons of techy people out there who own smartphones for a reason. I see sideloading as a plus for me, but in general, he's right: it's not a long term solution. However, it's also not a negative at all.

Anyway, I could go on, but my point is that other than apps, if you go from iOS to Android or the other way around, you always sacrifice something... it's not different with BlackBerry, so get over it, get used to it, get on with life... keep moving.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    GTiLeo likes this.
    03-07-13 11:14 PM
    Not bad, I wonder how it'll be leaving the Z10 for another device! at that time he may realise the power of the 10
    03-08-13 12:20 AM
    It was a very fair article. I think he's bang on with two major points: 1) there's no "hook" to bring Android and iOS users over, and 2) BB users need way more native apps (i.e. sideloaded Android apps are not a panacea).

Unless 1) happens, I don't think we'll see a lot of movement on 2).
    03-08-13 01:16 AM
    One word...ecosystem.
    03-08-13 08:25 AM
    Thanks for sharing this. I like articles like this.
    03-08-13 08:34 AM
    A thoughtful article about BlackBerry Z10 from the perspective of someone whose spent most of their time with competing platforms.

From the comments in this thread, however, I disagree with those claiming the ability to run Google Android applications on the BlackBerry 10 devices is good in any way for BlackBerry. BlackBerry has the money to hire developers to bring applications to this platform; whether those developers are on staff or employed by the companies behind the desired applications is immaterial.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    03-08-13 08:52 AM
    Engadget's reviews and analysis are generally quite solid. After Josh Topolsky left to start The Verge in 2011, Engadget has become far more balanced in its reviews and its news posts are generally pretty matter of fact and lack the annoying editorialism they did under the previous management. I've been going there for years, and I've lost count of the number of times the editors disabled comments temporarily because their own biased articles (generall iOS vs. Android or Mac OSX vs. Windows) created huge ****storms among commenters. That doesn't happen at all now, although commenters will find ways of starting fanboy wars.
    03-08-13 10:17 AM
    I would say that the last thing you should try to do is sell the Z10 by mentioning the side-loading of Android apps. Were you to use that as a sales feature, I'd have to ask why I shouldn't just buy an Android based phone?
    03-08-13 10:27 AM
    My views are pretty much aligned with the author as well. Of course except the gestures, unified inbox, etc are enough to woo me over. Now whenever I pick up my Nexus 4, i find myself swiping up to close app, because its just so much faster. lol.

Anyway, on the topic of "hooks" of the BlackBerry 10 platform, i think it might not be that big of a deal. People like a change every now and again. Maybe they just got bored of their current platform of choice simple as that. The most important thing is ecosystem in my opinion. That is a hurdle for people wanting to switch over. They might have no other reasons to switch other than boredom, but ecosystem is a reason for them NOT to switch over.

Also, while Android runtime is nice to have, its not exactly a feature to tout. Its more like a band-aid. I even avoid Android apps unless I really need to. Yes, including whatsapp. I didn't even install wordpress even though its in BB World. You're swiping through the OS, flowing from one place to another, blazing here and there. Until you use an android app, then everything seems to slow down suddenly. Hopefully JB 4.1 runtime will change my mind on that.
    03-08-13 10:55 AM
    I would say that the last thing you should try to do is sell the Z10 by mentioning the side-loading of Android apps. Were you to use that as a sales feature, I'd have to ask why I shouldn't just buy an Android based phone?
    It should only be brought up if a potential convert makes a statement along the lines of "But I've already purchased all these apps for my Android phone. I don't want to spend money again on an app I already have."
    03-08-13 10:55 AM
    I did specify that running Android apps isn't the only 'hook' that can be used. I do agree with Alex that it is a band-aid solution but the reality is that BB needs to continue not playing it safe which is how BB10 came about in the first place. The proportion of developers relative to the popularity of the brand is directly related so by that logic, the more you can bring over...however that might be...will therefore get more and more developers onboard. I know that BlackBerry is throwing money around trying to attract them and they are doing the right thing no question, but fair or not, there is a time sensitivity here.

What would be a great 'hook' and unique to BlackBerry would be the deep integration possible with BB10 and QNX Neutrino. Thor has made several statements that it is the direction the company is heading in and that is very exciting indeed. The kind of connectivity that is being envisioned by BB will be a HUGE step beyond the others.
    Last edited by metz9444; 03-08-13 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Spell Check
    03-08-13 12:47 PM
    I read the article earlier in the morning and I kind of liked it. I think some of his irritations (such as battery life, and tweaks in low-light photos) have already been addressed and remaining are likely to be addressed in next 10.1 OS update in few weeks from now.

So, that leaves you with only this: lack of a few choice apps. I think we'd see a resolution to that problem over next few months. Android player is going to get updated to Jelly Bean and BB might support even more Android APIs than it currently does and that'd make even more apps compatible. Additionally, BB is working hard behind the scenes in getting more and more (native) apps built for BlackBerry. We should see fruits of that labour in few months time.

So, I guess, if the author/reviewer were to try another BB 10 device in few months time (say July?), after BB 10 has received a couple of major updates and some more big-name apps have made their way into BB 10, the BB 10 at that time could absolutely win him over.
    metz9444 likes this.
    03-08-13 12:58 PM
    I too have read all the articles in the series and thankfully found the author to be fair in his assessmnet from his point of view... The one thing I took issue with is the question asked by the author "why anyone would want to switch to BB10"... the hook so to speak.... As BB10 OS itself is "new" and different that in itself is the "hook" the author was looking for. The problem all Platforms ( BB especially over the last couple of year ) suffer from is the boredom factor..... it is way more prevelant than most think... true a percetage are going to be brand loyal no matter what... some are price driven.....but what I have heard over and over again from my Apple bretheren is how "tired" they are with their phones... Apple has not really released anything really " new" lately ... this is what is probably driving the unexpected crossover in the initial launch.... Whether BB can harness this setiment remains to be seen... but I do think many will be rather suprised that brand loyalty in the Smartphone world may not be as widespead as many think....
    03-08-13 01:48 PM