BB10 being able to accommodate Android ports is the same as a great automobile being able to accommodate different stereo components.

You buy the vehicle because of its styling, the speed/efficiency of the engine, the smooth transmission, the comfortable ride, cargo space and the fit & finish. If you happen to prefer a certain audio component over another, no problem you can plug that stereo into the dash port and use it like it�s part of the vehicle without sacrificing the benefits/value of the whole vehicle.

BB10 (QNX) is a more stable, robust, high performance and powerful platform than anything out there that will only expand/mature in terms of the "stereo" options it has available over time. Until then, I can enjoy the ride and still be able to listen to the stereo I want. :-)
    03-06-13 01:09 PM
    I'd almost agree. But I'd say it's like fitting a cassette player in your new BMW. Sure, it'll just about work - with certain cassettes - but the quality will be poor, performance won't be great, and it'll somewhat ruin the experience of your otherwise awesome BMW.

None of the Android apps I've ported over to my Z10 work all that well - they're just slow and laggy - and many won't work at all.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 01:14 PM
    The point is for them to be slow and laggy, so that while users are able to use the app, devs still have an incentive to develop a native version. That's what scares me about the upcoming JB update. If that makes android apps run fairly decently(instead of horribly, as is the case now), devs might lose the incentive of developing a BlackBerry specific app.
    03-06-13 01:24 PM
    None of the Android apps I've ported over to my Z10 work all that well - they're just slow and laggy - and many won't work at all.
    Do you mean sideloaded?

I think porting and sideloading are not the same. Developers port. End users sideload. Porting an app entails modifying it to work on the new platform; sideloading means using it as it is.

Or do I have it all wrong?
    jstirtzinger and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-06-13 01:40 PM
    Do you mean sideloaded?

I think porting and sideloading are not the same. Developers port. End users sideload. Porting an app entails modifying it to work on the new platform; sideloading means using it as it is.

Pretty much. Side loading can also apply to PlayBook apps, not just Android APKs.
    03-06-13 01:57 PM
    I think it's more like how modern macs are able to dual boot Windows. It allows people to enjoy certain things specific to macs, but without totally losing the ability to use programs that are only made for Windows. I wonder if Apple would sell even half the number of macbooks it sells today without the ability to dual boot Windows? While I don't see anyone buying a mac specifically to use Windows as a primary, every single mac owner I know keeps a windows partition because they know they'll need it at some point.

Being able to run Android apps is an awesome feature in BB10 and definitely a smart move.
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    03-06-13 02:17 PM
    Awesome analogy!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 03:08 PM
    Do you mean sideloaded?

I mean sideload, yeah. My bad!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 03:43 PM
    I'd almost agree. But I'd say it's like fitting a cassette player in your new BMW. Sure, it'll just about work - with certain cassettes - but the quality will be poor, performance won't be great, and it'll somewhat ruin the experience of your otherwise awesome BMW.

Posted via CB10
    I am referring to properly ported not user initiated side-loaded with no optimizations being made....although the fact they even work at all with that method is remarkable in itself.
    03-06-13 03:44 PM
    I think it's more like how modern macs are able to dual boot Windows. It allows people to enjoy certain things specific to macs, but without totally losing the ability to use programs that are only made for Windows. I wonder if Apple would sell even half the number of macbooks it sells today without the ability to dual boot Windows? While I don't see anyone buying a mac specifically to use Windows as a primary, every single mac owner I know keeps a windows partition because they know they'll need it at some point.

Being able to run Android apps is an awesome feature in BB10 and definitely a smart move.
    Ahh yes, that is almost an identical computing platform comparison! Good one!
    03-06-13 03:45 PM

Still flawed. Better: running Windows apps using Parallels on a Mac.
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    03-06-13 03:48 PM
    The Android Player is good for users and good for developers. For users, we wind up with more choice and a geometric expansion of the catalog.

For developers who have already created an Android app, it gives them a chance to try out the ecosystem with a low investment of time and money. There have been devs who moved ported apps into BB World who actually found themselves making more money just out of PlayBook users than they could in Google Play, due to the drastically reduced competition.

It's good all around. My hope: that this helps short-circuit the chicken-egg relationship between apps and users, and that major app providers go on to produce native apps once they've seen the response.

We'll see.
    03-06-13 03:52 PM
    I'm good as long as it works decently(no battery drain or lock ups), Android sideload or Built for Blackberry.
    03-06-13 04:02 PM
    I'm good as long as it works decently(no battery drain or lock ups), Android sideload or Built for Blackberry.
    ...and if it's a healthy platform we'll have competition. If you've got, say, half a dozen music apps that all use Android, and one of them decides to support native BB10 and suddenly wins a whole swack of users from the other apps, there's built-in pressure for the others to follow suit.

There's been some pressure to convince BB World to label Android apps, which I do not support. If the app is there, and suits your need, in theory it shouldn't make a difference. If it DOES because it's faulty or something, that should be reflected in user reviews.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    03-06-13 04:18 PM
    Still flawed. Better: running Windows apps using Parallels on a Mac.
    Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!! :-)
    03-06-13 04:41 PM
    Agreed...think MS Office on Mac OSX...eventually it made sense to have a fully native OSX Office Suite but parallels worked fine in the interim.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-06-13 04:43 PM
    I mean sideload, yeah. My bad!

Posted via CB10
    We really need to get the naming conventions right! I'm not sure if Crackberry has a FAQ or a Glossary but that could be something they should add so that all new BB10 users get educated about this stuff! Hopefully Google Maps gets ported eventually (Native seems very unlikely) or otherwise I will have to learn to sideload as well.

We need this in a large banner with big letters:

Native > Port > Sideload > Nada
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    03-07-13 12:19 PM