Looks like Bell is trying a work around for those looking to upgrade to the Z10. Currently you must have a BIS provisioned plan to use the Z10 on Bell. Customers who want to upgrade from say an Android or IOS phone have to swith to a Blackberry provisioned plan(BIS or BES). Word is a work around is coming soon.

this is from Howard Chui from Howard Forums...

Bell working on the Blackberry Z10 BES/BIS required problem

In case you didn't know already, The Blackberry Z10 on Bell currently requires a Blackberry data plan because the APN defaults to blackberry.net and can't be changed.

I just heard that Bell is currently working on a work-around for this problem so you can use it with a 'regular' smartphone data plan like on other carriers.

Bell working on the Blackberry Z10 BES/BIS required problem
    03-05-13 06:37 PM
    does this affect Bell clients who are on the 6gb promo plan? As in they can finally provide proper provisioning?
    03-05-13 06:58 PM
    yup sure looks that way
    03-05-13 07:02 PM
    let's hope so... any eta on it?
    03-05-13 07:58 PM
    [I]Bell working on the Blackberry Z10 BES/BIS required problem

In case you didn't know already, The Blackberry Z10 on Bell currently requires a Blackberry data plan because the APN defaults to blackberry.net and can't be changed.
    This is a Bell Mobility created problem and BlackBerry was not forcing them to require a BIS/BES data plan instead of a generic data plan.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    03-05-13 08:53 PM
    This is a Bell Mobility created problem and BlackBerry was not forcing them to require a BIS/BES data plan instead of a generic data plan.

yeah, similar problems with another carrier i saw in the Caribbean...Digicel...wouldn't allow data plan to be anything other than a BIS for a BBRY, even the Z10. but who knows, maybe the reps were misinformed and had no idea what they were talking about. They kept telling me that BBRY is forcing this... which we all know isn't true. I think it's the way their system is setup. But either way, i couldn't get data as the carrier didn't have proper provisions for the device (i.e it's not on their system...)
    03-05-13 08:57 PM

Yup certainly is a Bell created problem, 100% agreed.

Posted via CB10
    Protocol 2001 likes this.
    03-05-13 09:09 PM
    Unlock u phone move to rogers problem solved.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-05-13 09:37 PM
    Why does it really matter though? Someone explain!
    03-05-13 09:51 PM
    It matters to those who may wish to switch phone brand. They may keep their current plan with say iphone or droid, and just upgrade hardware to bb10.

Posted using BlackBerry Z10
    03-05-13 09:59 PM
    also may save some people $10-$20/mo...
    03-05-13 10:00 PM
    because i was forced to pay an additional $7 plus tax per month to get my plan fitted to the Z10. $8 a month for 36 months is $288...
    03-05-13 10:05 PM
    Not sure if this issue has anything to do with the delay in the Bell Z10 software update, but maybe? I'm guessing a phone call into Bell to provision to a PDA plan would also be needed.
    03-06-13 07:15 AM
    I kept my old Bell BBRY 1gb data plan that I had from my previous contract, using a 9810 then a 9900 before upgrading to my Z10. I'm assuming it's BIS, as my usage hasn't changed a bit even with the Z10.

One thing I've noticed, though is that download data is pig-slow on wifi but not upload, considerably slower than the same test done on my PlayBook or laptop. Could BIS have something to do with that?

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 07:30 AM
    Further to this, I did some poking around in settings and noticed that my APN is locked to blackberry.net so am assuming all (non- wifi) usage is still going through BIS? Not complaining, as it seems to keep my Bell data usage low, but I will monitor this setting and my data plan usage for any changes/spikes.

BTW, I did the .85 upgrade earlier in the week using a non-Bell SIM.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 04:06 AM
    I called customer service the other day and asked them if they fond a solution yet. My response was "BlackBerry designed the phone that way, so they're finding the workaround and not Bell. they are 50% complete so it should be soon"

way to pass the buck
    03-12-13 09:43 PM
    Anyone I've dealt with at Bell re my Z10 has been very quick to pass the buck. It's actually comical, in this day and age of social media...they get found out very quickly.

Having said that, they were good to me about compensation for lack of services I had pre z10 (Bell TV)
    I'm also indifferent to the BIS issue, as it seems to be keeping my data usage at pre z10 levels, as in a shade over 500mb per month so far.
    03-12-13 09:52 PM
    I'm on a provisioned plan but I have a corporate account so my BlackBerry data is ULT. That being said, I can't get LTE service on the phone because of that plan. But I can live with HSPA+ and wifi. I'm sure they'll have it fixed soon. It just worries me on the lack of knowledge their client service representatives have and how they can just blatantly lie about the issue. That being said, I've had Bell services for years and have always been satisfied with the end result of any call I've had to make to them.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 10:35 PM
    I bet if you move your sim from android device to z10 it will work

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 10:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nope tried it and no dice

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 10:53 PM
    I'm on a provisioned plan but I have a corporate account so my BlackBerry data is ULT. That being said, I can't get LTE service on the phone because of that plan. But I can live with HSPA+ and wifi. I'm sure they'll have it fixed soon. It just worries me on the lack of knowledge their client service representatives have and how they can just blatantly lie about the issue. That being said, I've had Bell services for years and have always been satisfied with the end result of any call I've had to make to them.

Posted via CB10
    I used LTE on my Z10 when traveling through the Ottawa and Mirabel area @ 3 weeks ago.
    I'm in North Bay, where it's not available yet on Bell, but was surprised to get LTE in the east end of town @ 2 weeks ago but it's since gone back to HSPA. They must have been testing before full roll out of LTE.
    03-12-13 10:57 PM
    Why do you need a BIS for the Z10 on Bell? BlackBerry said you don't need a BIS on BB10.
    What are Bell up to?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 11:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    No... Z10 detects carrier and assigns APN. Basically what Bell will do is work with BB to make the Z10 assign a different APN that is not blackberry.net so no BIS is needed
    03-12-13 11:26 PM
    now that I think about it(or maybe because it's lack of sleep) maybe BOTH are at fault...

a lil backend facts about data provisioning with bell:

-if buying a BB(pre BB10), you needed to be put on a BB data plan, (probably due to BIS)
    - if buying an iphone/android device, you needed to be put on a pda plan(regular data)

We've already established that Z10 does not need a specific BB data plan, cause it no longer needs BIS(if that is in fact why the specialized data was required before)

so in essence, you should be able to just put a SIM with a REGULAR data plan into a Z10 and away you go! But for some reason the device is recognized as a BB on Bell's network, thus rendering data not to work.

Is there something in the phone that tells the network "I'm a BB!" as opposed to "I'm an android/iphone"?

So who's at fault?
    03-13-13 12:08 AM
    No... Z10 detects carrier and assigns APN. Basically what Bell will do is work with BB to make the Z10 assign a different APN that is not blackberry.net so no BIS is needed
    Makes sense... (you posted while I was writing my novel)
    03-13-13 12:09 AM
34 12