Hey guys,

A month into the launch, can we assume BlackBerry will hold on 3rd position overtaking Nokia? Or is this still too early to predict?
    03-05-13 06:10 PM
    Oh my, you're aiming high.
    03-05-13 06:21 PM
    brand market share is no where near as important as platform marketshare

at this point bb10 has less users than wp8. does is matter that blackberry overall may have a greater market share than 'windows phone' ? I dont beleive so, not when most users are on outdated 'legacy platforms'
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-05-13 06:30 PM
    As BB is the #3 platform already, I'll leave that alone. But I will say that all indications are that BB10 is selling better then wp8 in the markets its been launched! take that for what its worth!
    03-05-13 06:35 PM
    They will definitely regain #3 from winphone for this quarter.....probably for the next as well! Overall though....to early to call.

Keep hoping MS keeps up their usual bungle-fest....and continues to be unable to leverage their business angle....and that the new low-cost phones don't take off.
    00stryder and jay964 like this.
    03-05-13 07:28 PM
    Just remember that when you guys say "3rd place" you are talking about smartphones only.

Nokia still holds 3rd place for "cellphones". But BlackBerry holds 3rd place for "smartphones".
    glenn21 likes this.
    03-05-13 07:33 PM
    They will definitely regain #3 from winphone for this quarter.....probably for the next as well! Overall though....to early to call.

Keep hoping MS keeps up their usual bungle-fest....and continues to be unable to leverage their business angle....and that the new low-cost phones don't take off.
    By MS business angle I assume that would be Office365 integration into wp8?
    I question then need for it on a phone. Your thoughts?
    03-05-13 07:42 PM
    Next quarter or the next, BB10 will have almost equal users or more to WP8. Surely, it is a matter of time.
    03-05-13 08:34 PM
    The fact is nobody cares to have Office365 on the 4" screen.
    Any enterprise worth anything is going to take the security aspects of mobile over the ability to edit docs on a 4" sereen! Its a complete no brainer!
    MS is in deep siht, they know it! Their WP OS, has failed to gain any traction in 3 years. Now the only smartphone mobile pureplay, BlackBerry has released a beautifully crafted OS, that does everything and more that wp can do. A 1.0 OS to boot!
    Now with everthing going mobile, at the same time as strong competition in desktop offerings. The looooong slow death of Microsoft appears to have begun! They would be advised to stop wasting cash in makets that they lost and start returning cash to their shareholders. Keep giving back until they shut the lights out. IMO.
    bbfan1040 and melb_me like this.
    03-05-13 11:30 PM
    But wait! "I so totally want to write my next business powerpoint presentation on my cellphone!" Said only by people who can't afford laptops.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    03-05-13 11:37 PM
    Too early to tell. Don't forget that WP sold more than 6 mln last quarter and the trend has been upwards so far (unlike BB).

Also, Z10 may very well end up cannibalizing some of BB7 sales.
    03-05-13 11:48 PM

Thats if it hasn't already for last year or so.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 12:16 AM
    The fact is nobody cares to have Office365 on the 4" screen.
    Any enterprise worth anything is going to take the security aspects of mobile over the ability to edit docs on a 4" sereen! Its a complete no brainer!
    MS is in deep siht, they know it! Their WP OS, has failed to gain any traction in 3 years. Now the only smartphone mobile pureplay, BlackBerry has released a beautifully crafted OS, that does everything and more that wp can do. A 1.0 OS to boot!
    Now with everthing going mobile, at the same time as strong competition in desktop offerings. The looooong slow death of Microsoft appears to have begun! They would be advised to stop wasting cash in makets that they lost and start returning cash to their shareholders. Keep giving back until they shut the lights out. IMO.
    What bb doesn't have, you don't need. Nice logic. Ms office with SkyDrive integration on my 920 is worlds ahead of what I had on my 9900 and my current pb.
    03-06-13 01:37 AM
    Too early to tell. Don't forget that WP sold more than 6 mln last quarter and the trend has been upwards so far (unlike BB).

If BB10 was in the market last quarter I don't think WP would have sold near that many. But we will see!
    03-06-13 02:41 AM
    Why does everyone portray the sales rankings as if there is some ultimate, defining, more important moment in the future when the companies will stop and arrange themselves on the podium. That's not how it works. All we will ever have is "right now". Right now, Blackberry is in third.
    ladeberry likes this.
    03-06-13 03:40 AM
    By MS business angle I assume that would be Office365 integration into wp8?
    I question then need for it on a phone. Your thoughts?
    I wasn't thinking of a specific ploy....several come to mind (but there is NO WAY I'm ever saying them on the net! LOL). I was only thinking of MS' desktop leverage with which they've managed to outmuscle many superior products over the years. Again, I continue to hope that they will not discover a way to do this.

Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be a superior product MS offers....it has to appear to be superior, or appear to be an added value (even if the value isn't actually practical), and then they must sell it using that angle. Alternately, if they find a way to bundle it into other office products, then that too offers them a way in.
    03-06-13 05:16 AM
    March 28th is just 3 weeks ago. All will be revealed then.
    03-06-13 06:20 AM
    Too soon...wait for US release. BB is doing okay though...which is good
    03-06-13 06:46 AM
    Blackberry is in third and will retain third. WP8 has nothing superior to offer except the Nokia industry leading camera.
    03-06-13 06:46 AM
    I'd like office 365 on a 4" screen. I have done power point slides on my 9900. Yes, they were not very elaborate or pretty. But I use Google drive for work a lot and I get frustrated that my excel and word 10 docs cannot be opened via Google docs on my 9900 because docs to go on OS 7.1 doesn't support them. I'm hoping the Z10 handles google drive and office 10 better. All of that being said I hope BB can hold the third spot as well.
    03-06-13 07:00 AM
    Blackberry is in third and will retain third. WP8 has nothing superior to offer except the Nokia industry leading camera.
    ^^^^^
    This.

The more important factor of course is BB10 gaining marketshare, even if it means cannibalizing BBOS. Third place means nothing if both platforms have single digit marketshare. Developers need customers, customers need apps, yadda yadda...
    03-06-13 07:14 AM
    Users:
    BB has 80 millions, WP has 30 millions.

Shipments in Q4/2012:
    BB 7.4 million, WP 6.0 million.

In Q1/2013 WP is going to outsell BB for he first time.
    Data shows WP's sales growing even more in Q1. Just in China Nokia has sold 2 million WP8 phones this quarter.

BB 10 sales are just a small fraction of WP8 sales.
    BlackBerry won't launch low or mid range phones this year, chances are pretty slim for BB 10 taking relevant market share.
    03-06-13 08:02 AM

Then Wp8 ended up cannibalizing Wp7 sales. RIM sold 6.8 million phones last quarter without BB10. BB10 is only going to help sales.
    03-06-13 08:07 AM
    And Office. And Skydrive integration (for those enmeshed in that ecosystem). Xbox integration (including Smartglass). Nokia's ultra-sensitive screen. Far better mapping options (seriously, Nokia's offline Drive maps with worldwide navigation and Nokia City lens are way superior to anything on BB). Kids corner is also pretty good for families with kids.

More importantly, Blackberry has nothing to offer at the low end for BB10 in the near and mid-term future. Nokia now has Lumia WP8 phones at the very low to high end ranges.

Please note that I'm not trying to argue that WP8 is better than BB10.

I think WP8 will most likely outsell BB10 for the near term until BB can come up with a low cost option. Lumia 520, 620 and 720 will be pretty good sellers for Nokia. Z10 should probably outsell Lumia at the high end with the Lumia 920 being so supply constrained and the HTC 8X not selling well.
    richardat likes this.
    03-06-13 09:28 AM
    And Office. And Skydrive integration (for those enmeshed in that ecosystem). Xbox integration (including Smartglass). Nokia's ultra-sensitive screen. Far better mapping options (seriously, Nokia's offline Drive maps with worldwide navigation and Nokia City lens are way superior to anything on BB). Kids corner is also pretty good for families with kids.

More importantly, Blackberry has nothing to offer at the low end for BB10 in the near and mid-term future. Nokia now has Lumia WP8 phones at the very low to high end ranges.

Please note that I'm not trying to argue that WP8 is better than BB10.

I think WP8 will most likely outsell BB10 for the near term until BB can come up with a low cost option. Lumia 520, 620 and 720 will be pretty good sellers for Nokia. Z10 should probably outsell Lumia at the high end with the Lumia 920 being so supply constrained and the HTC 8X not selling well.
    Really makes u wonder what they're gonna do to get a low end device into consumers hands huh?

I don't think using a single core processor like these newer low end WP8 devices will provide the experience BB wants with BB10....especially of the coupled it with 1 GB of RAM. It will be interesting to see how they go about this...
    richardat and Drew808 like this.
    03-06-13 10:33 AM
61 123