Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : BlackBerry India ups sales forecast for new devices by 40%

New Delhi, March 5:

Based on the initial consumer response, BlackBerry has beefed up its sales forecast in India by 40 per cent for its devices based on the new operating system.

The Canada-based smartphone maker has launched Z10 in India based on BlackBerry 10 operating system in a bid to make a comeback into the market now dominated by Samsung and Apple.

�In a couple of markets where we launched first, about 45 per cent of people who bought BB10 device were unique customers who were using phones of some other brand,� Sunil Dutt, Managing Director, BlackBerry India, told Business Line.
    No Specific target

Dutt said that he has not set any specific target for his team in India because he reckons that it will be easily achieved. �Our own internal forecast has been beefed up for BB10 devices by about 40 per cent after seeing the response in other markets. By putting a sales target number, I would be limiting my team in India,� he said.

To push up the market share, BlackBerry is treating this as its biggest launch till now.

�This is a game changer for BlackBerry and also for the industry. We are already running out of stock,� Dutt said.

BlackBerry has conducted training for retailers to enable them to give product demonstration within one minute.

Some of the outlets have also been provided with WiFi connectivity so that users can get experience Internet browsing and apps.

�This is the biggest launch for BlackBerry both in terms of dollar amount and most integrated approach across various functions.

�This is first time we have a brand ambassador and a go-to-market strategy designed for BB10,� said Dutt.
    Servicing infrastructure

BlackBerry has also strengthened its servicing infrastructure in the country.

The handset maker has opened up 100 new service centres that will address consumer queries and complaints within 24 hours. BlackBerry has roped in HCL Infosystems and Redington to run these centres across 80 cities.

�This is first time we are embarking upon setting up such centres.

�Eighty per cent of the time, the complaint is not about the product but more about a feature which the user does not understand.

�At these centres, you can give your handset for repair as well as clarify your queries about features,� said Dutt.

[email protected]
    03-05-13 05:27 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This is amazing news for Blackberry .... confirms that Blackberry can't manufacture fast enought for demand so far ... this .. ahead of USA launch this month! ....
    ctuffy likes this.
    03-05-13 05:40 PM
    Every country launched so far has had positive feedback, yet the American anaylsts still try to take down the stock! the consumers in the USA are a different breed then their media! I know they will love the Z10 aswell. Then the analysts will stop with the BS. Pack up their ball and go home like a snot nosed kid!
    03-05-13 05:55 PM
    Every country launched so far has had positive feedback, yet the American anaylsts still try to take down the stock! the consumers in the USA are a different breed then their media! I know they will love the Z10 aswell. Then the analysts will stop with the BS. Pack up their ball and go home like a snot nosed kid!
    Because in their opinion USA is the centre of universe and stock won't move until it sells well here in USA. IF BB does not get US launch right and earning call hints a small thing bad it will turn into big deal..
    03-05-13 06:51 PM
    And yet again a parade of NewSpeak without any numbers to make it real. Why is it so hard to report some kind of numbers it's been out for over a month now? Generally speaking I know how many iPhones sell in the first week and I will bet anyone on this site Thor knows exactly how many phones sold till Feb 28th at the least, if not as of yesterday, if there was a way to prove it.

Remember when we heard of all the great dev interest in this platform and yet there are very serious absences in BBWorld. We asked why they couldn't give us names of the bigger apps to take away the worry? Turns out they didn't have them and the C Suite cannot say something that isn't so.
    03-05-13 06:57 PM
    And yet again a parade of NewSpeak without any numbers to make it real. Why is it so hard to report some kind of numbers it's been out for over a month now? Generally speaking I know how many iPhones sell in the first week and I will bet anyone on this site Thor knows exactly how many phones sold till Feb 28th at the least, if not as of yesterday, if there was a way to prove it.

Remember when we heard of all the great dev interest in this platform and yet there are very serious absences in BBWorld. We asked why they couldn't give us names of the bigger apps to take away the worry? Turns out they didn't have them and the C Suite cannot say something that isn't so.
    Sigh.....I hear you. Was excited going through this until we got the same no quantifiable numbers speak. Wooooo 40%.....of _______ ! COOL!!!

I have to give the guy credit for the particularly bold nonsense speak: oh yeah, we're forcasting FORTY PERCENT MORE....of something...no actual numbers....we don't use numbers that would hurt us......that's how we operate at BB...in a fuzzy amorphous cloud of undefined percentages! Thanks Mr. Dutt....I see you think highly of our intelligence!

As to Thor, didn't he say he gets hourly updates? LOL....he'd certainly get daily ones at the least. In any case....rant done....but this stuff is getting old quickly....this is nice/good....just.....useless. MIght as well just release a presser with a big happy face or something! ;-)
    03-05-13 07:08 PM
    Unlike all the analysts that put out bogus estimates and repots, The ones you and others love to quote, endlessly! BlackBerry in the end (that being Mar27) will have to back up what they have said to date! Sorry you like the rest of us have to wait! But the difference is real!
    Neely2005 likes this.
    03-05-13 07:52 PM
    Because in their opinion USA is the centre of universe and stock won't move until it sells well here in USA. IF BB does not get US launch right and earning call hints a small thing bad it will turn into big deal..
    To a degree, I agree with this as a potential outcome, we've seen in the past how small issues are portrayed in the media as show stoppers. Then the big players adjust as the small players freak out and sell their stock! brilliant on the part of Wallstreet!
    03-05-13 07:57 PM
    shorting stocks is big money...
    03-05-13 09:32 PM
    shorting stocks is big money...
    There is over a 2 billion USD short BET against BlackBerry right now! It looks like their friends in the media and the sort, are trying to get them out! Better move fast or its not going to happen.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    03-05-13 11:18 PM
    There is over a 2 billion USD short BET against BlackBerry right now! It looks like their friends in the media and the sort, are trying to get them out! Better move fast or its not going to happen.
    You make it sound like there's some kind of conspiracy, and that isn't really the case.

There are analysts with agendas. There are bloggers who harbor opinions. As long as we read with the knowledge of this, and as long as they don't blatantly lie, they're entitled to express themselves.
    03-05-13 11:41 PM
    You make it sound like there's some kind of conspiracy, and that isn't really the case.

There are analysts with agendas. There are bloggers who harbor opinions. As long as we read with the knowledge of this, and as long as they don't blatantly lie, they're entitled to express themselves.
    I think we said the same thing.
    Anyone can say what they like., Later saying, well I never knew the facts. we can debate the methods but I think the pattern is clear!
    03-06-13 02:44 AM
    *sigh*

Great news but its so frustrating. People who know about the phone, love it.

HOWEVER....

just today a whole bunch of friends were pulling my leg for having a Blackberry (my 9360). and how im living in the stone ages and when am i moving away...
    (i told them im moving to the Z10 after a few months)..

Great product, terrible marketing...
    03-06-13 11:30 AM
    The articles about BB today remind me of the articles about Apple in 1996 and 1997 -- they're going bankrupt, only value is in the patents, no hope of recovery, promising new product (Z10/iMac) is a flop, etc.
    03-06-13 11:35 AM
    ____
    Yesss. Time to buy BBRY now. Still has upward potential. Thanks Asia!!!
    03-06-13 12:12 PM
    *sigh*

Great news but its so frustrating. People who know about the phone, love it.

HOWEVER....

just today a whole bunch of friends were pulling my leg for having a Blackberry (my 9360). and how im living in the stone ages and when am i moving away...
    (i told them im moving to the Z10 after a few months)..

Great product, terrible marketing...
    I completely agree with you! I haven't seen any adverts in the print or online or anywhere. Just a small page 3 news article (just because it was Ranbir Kapoor) in TOI Pune and that's it.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    03-06-13 12:53 PM
    Sigh.....I hear you. Was excited going through this until we got the same no quantifiable numbers speak. Wooooo 40%.....of _______ ! COOL!!!

I have to give the guy credit for the particularly bold nonsense speak: oh yeah, we're forcasting FORTY PERCENT MORE....of something...no actual numbers....we don't use numbers that would hurt us......that's how we operate at BB...in a fuzzy amorphous cloud of undefined percentages! Thanks Mr. Dutt....I see you think highly of our intelligence!

As to Thor, didn't he say he gets hourly updates? LOL....he'd certainly get daily ones at the least. In any case....rant done....but this stuff is getting old quickly....this is nice/good....just.....useless. MIght as well just release a presser with a big happy face or something! ;-)
    I have to agree with Richard here. Sunil Dutt hasn't said anything about sales figures. My very limited research shows that the Z10 has done well with respect to their sales target in India but that doesn't give us any idea of what their sales target was in the first place.
    Unless we get some real figures nothing can be said.
    Richard this is getting to be a disturbing trend. Second post of yours with which I agree.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 01:02 PM

Funny! Please tell me how do you know who is lying and who is saying the truth? The media of nowadays has been known for telling lies more than they say the truth. Whatever it takes to make headlines they'll go for it. And people who now rely on media to make decisions for them are equally out of their minds. When the time is right, blackberry will announce sales figures but for the mean time let them be. If u want proof of what the BB10 experience is like then I suggest you wait (US) and if you cannot then run to the device of your choice.
    03-06-13 01:27 PM
    It's too good to be true, but it's true!!!
    03-07-13 12:21 PM