I've bought my Z10 this afternoon. Now I'm trying to transfer data from my 9900 to the Z10 but nothing works. When I connect the device to my pc, Windows starts looking for and installing the device drivers but after a bit it says installation didnt go fine. So, BlackBerry Link doesnt see my Z10 and now I'm stuck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PS: I'm really pissed. This phone's 7 hours old and I'm already going thru troubles.
    03-05-13 05:04 PM
    Please help before I go nuts.
    03-05-13 05:14 PM
    I don't have my z10 yet, and I use a mac..but in any case, best to search for your solution to start off. here is a link to bbry link user guide...

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...8229285589.jsp
    03-05-13 05:19 PM
    Try turning the WiFi off on your device, reboot, and then plug it in. Do not turn WiFi on.

On my PlayBook, I always have to turn off WiFi before plugging it in via USB.
    03-05-13 05:19 PM
    Please help before I go nuts.
    If you look like your avatar you already have LOL. Just fooling ya. I don't have a Z10 yet so I can't help
    mystic84 likes this.
    03-05-13 05:20 PM
    I had the same problem until I temporarily disabled my Internet Security / Anti-Virus program. Both the USB and wifi methods worked like a charm
    03-05-13 05:30 PM
    No way. Triee disabling antivirus, tried turning off data connection and wifi, tried thru secure wipe and tried to reinstall BB Link more than once. No way. BlackBerry is gonna lose a great fan real soon.
    03-05-13 05:45 PM
    I had to uninstall BlackBerry desktop manager and remove all traces of it, and then reinstall link.

Windows seems to have a tough recognizing the z10 for the first time. You can also try manually disabling it from device manager and then scan for changes

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 05:50 PM
    No way even after uninstalling BB Desktop Software. Where the **** I can find those goddam Windows drivers?
    03-05-13 06:44 PM
    Here's what you should try first: If you have USB Mass Storage (Settings - Storage and Access - USB Mass Storage) enabled, then DISABLE it and after it's disabled, try to plug the Z10 to the computer using the USB and check if BlackBerry Link will now detect your device.

If you continue to have problems, here's what I suggest you may want to try if you had any BlackBerry software loaded on your computer beforehand:

Here's what I did to make sure all previous files were deleted and have a fresh BlackBerry Link version installed.

I uninstalled BlackBerry Link. When I was asked if I wanted to also delete all user preference, I said yes.
    I went into Control Panel/System/Device Manager and uninstalled the RIM virtual serial ports. You will find this under Ports.

Next, I wanted to make sure everything from my old BlackBerry Desktop Software (which I had previously uninstalled) actually uninstalled properly:
    I installed BlackBerry Desktop software. I then uninstalled BlackBerry Desktop software. When I was asked if I wanted to also delete all user preferences, I said yes.
    I went into Control Panel/System/Device Manager and uninstalled the RIM virtual serial ports. You will find this under Ports.

I restarted my computer.

I installed BlackBerry Link.

I disabled WiFi sharing and USB Mass Storage on my Z10. I rebooted my Z10. When it started, I plugged my Z10 into the computer using the USB cable.

Now everything works.

Again, all the steps I did may not be necessary, however, this is what I did. I think it may have something to do with old files being left behind from the old BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    Last edited by sk8er_tor; 03-05-13 at 08:45 PM.
    03-05-13 08:30 PM
    What version of Windows?
    On win8 I had the z10 plugged into USB, intalled Link and it's working fine. No muss, no fuss, no disabling anything.
    Like the others, I had uninstalled DM and did a restart before installing Link.
    03-06-13 08:06 AM
    What version of Windows?
    On win8 I had the z10 plugged into USB, intalled Link and it's working fine. No muss, no fuss, no disabling anything.
    Like the others, I had uninstalled DM and did a restart before installing Link.
    I had also uninstalled DM and restarted and it wasn't until a few days later that I installed BB Link.

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.
    I could connect my Z10 and I could see my SD card from Windows Explorer, however that's about it. BB Link would not see the device until I turned off USB Mass Storage (which is by default off but I had enabled it when I bought the SD card).
    03-06-13 09:17 AM
    I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. At least I succeeded moving contacts from the 9900 to the Z10 using the micro-sd switch device. But this means nothing: BB Link should see my Z10, apart from being able to switch device thru a sd card.

Anyways I'm now trying to fix it following sk8ter_tor's suggestions.Thanks guys.
    03-06-13 03:12 PM
    No way. Under Storage and Access I set the device on Connect to Windows and now the drivers got installed, but BB Link keeps saying "Impossible to communicate with the device" (does it say this in English? My Link speaks italian ). In the end it's not working at all. Honestly I dont know what to do.

Do they know over at BlackBerry that there are hundreds of people getting the same problem as me?
    03-06-13 04:14 PM
    To get your new Z10 up and running quickly and transfer your data from your bold, use the micro sd method.

Go to setup on your bold with an sd card in then go to setup, device switch. Transfer your data and then put the sd card in your z10. It should automatically start the transfer process.

After that you have some time to get your computer working with BlackBerry Link.

Link on my pc seems only to work the first time I install then after that says my device needs restored?!

Hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 04:24 PM
    Just noticed you already did the sd card method. Sorry!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 04:27 PM
    No worries man. I did it successfully, but I'd be sooooooo happy if BB Link worked too!
    03-06-13 04:37 PM
    I had to disconnect the phone but leave link running, set link to open when phone is connected and plug it int
    a different usb port..
    03-06-13 05:01 PM
    This is not working either.

Worst question of my life: do you thinks it's a problem with BB Link or with my Z10?
    03-06-13 05:09 PM
    This is not working either.

Worst question of my life: do you thinks it's a problem with BB Link or with my Z10?
    It has to be your desktop. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit? Forgive me for asking, but is your Win7 install legitimate or a torrent? Let's start there.

If legit, did you previously have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed? Clearly, something is 'stuck' in the OS and won't proceed. If your Z10 phone is otherwise fully working, don't blame the phone as it clearly sounds like an OS issue. It almost always is.

If it persists, try going to a different computer. Go to a non-Blackberry friend's computer and download Blackberry Link and try installing with your BB ID and see if you have the same issues.
    03-06-13 05:24 PM
    Ok, will try this too! Thanks
    03-07-13 06:46 AM
    Can you just treat the phone as a mass storage device without using Link? If you can access files without link installed then the device is good. Turn on mass storage on the phone on someone elses computer and without link and see if it is recognised.
    03-07-13 07:20 AM
    not sure if you fixed it... this string is about a month old. I was having the same issue and changed the setting under storage and access to auto detect instead of windows and it shows up in link now...
    04-02-13 03:35 PM
    07-04-13 06:50 PM
    On Windows 8, the BB Link cannot recognize my Z10 when I connect it to my computer (use USB cable). I tried many many way to fix it. I tried a hundreds of times for uninstall and restart and install and restart... but useless. The computer always shows stupid notification "USB device not recognized".
    08-01-13 10:50 PM