The Daily Telegraph reports the following:

Retailers slash Blackberry Z10 prices

(cut to the chase) ... James Faucette, an analyst at Pacific Crest, said the cuts were a sign that the Z10, the first handset to run the radically redesign BB10 operating system, was not a good sign for BlackBerry�s recovery hopes.

Although probably instigated by operators rather than BlackBerry itself, they position the Z10 as a mid-level device rather than a competitor to the iPhone and Galaxy SIII, which target the top end where profit margins are biggest, he claimed.

�The case for [BlackBerry�s] recovery has been that in the long run, the company could return to selling high-end handsets that would feature enough profitability that handset profits could more than offset long-term declines in the highly profitable service business,� he said. �We believe that meaningful price cuts so soon after launch, while probably at the initial discretion of the carriers, is likely to relegate the Z10 to being a mid-tier device with very low gross margins.�
    03-05-13 11:15 AM
    This, if true, can not be good.
    03-05-13 11:20 AM
    Nothing "disturbing". As in other markets, specific retailers have offered specific specials on the Z10. No evidence of widespread price cuts.

Someone was just posting a screen grab from Phones 4 U's website where the Z10 was priced higher than the new HTC One (which was just released last week).

EDIT: And just so we're clear, this analyst declared last fall that the Z10 wouldn't even make it to market; he's shown a very clear skepticism for all things BlackBerry.
    R Field, MattUK, MERCDROID and 5 others like this.
    03-05-13 11:21 AM
    OP should read Chris U.'s post from yesterday.
    03-05-13 11:23 AM
    There was a post on this earlier. A company is offering a special to get new customers and put the z10 on one of their deal of the day, week month whatever it was.

This was a car phone warehouse deal and even the phone company that you have to sign up for a 2 year contract with isn't offering the z10 at the lower price.
    03-05-13 11:24 AM
    it would appear to me that if they are lowing the prices that they want to lure costomers to them. "look we have the Z10 Cheaper" the only other reason is if they were trying to liqudate them. I dont think the latter is the case. BTW were they lowing them after they raised the prices on them. I hear last week the prices were going up because of demand
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-05-13 11:30 AM
    Disturbing news from the UK-untitled.jpg
    No changes to the launching day
    03-05-13 11:36 AM
    it would appear to me that if they are lowing the prices that they want to lure costomers to them. "look we have the Z10 Cheaper" the only other reason is if they were trying to liqudate them. I dont think the latter is the case. BTW were they lowing them after they raised the prices on them. I hear last week the prices were going up because of demand
    Yes, exactly. Rogers has been offering a $50 discount in Canada, too. None of this means that BB is discounting phones. THEY'RE still making the same money on the sale.

We have a case here of an analyst cherry-picking data. Need to consider the source.
    03-05-13 11:38 AM
    03-05-13 11:38 AM
    On O2 contract they've actually put Z10 prices UP
    03-05-13 11:40 AM
    Basically what I had been hearing is: if there is a price increase its bad news cause the BlackBerry Z10 won't sell well vs iphone and S3. If there is a price decrease it means the phone is not selling well. Go figure

Posted via CB10
    mcmolineux likes this.
    03-05-13 11:41 AM
    This guy has been trolling BBRY for a while now. The Inventories are beginning to rise because BBRY has increased production.
    03-05-13 11:45 AM
    and today Rogers slashed Iphone 5 price to $99, I read this on MobileSyrup
    03-05-13 11:46 AM
    This guy has been trolling BBRY for a while now. The Inventories are beginning to rise because BBRY has increased production.
    Thanks, good to hear.
    03-05-13 11:52 AM
    Great send them to India. We are extremely short of inventory here.

Posted via CB10
    Cesare21 likes this.
    03-05-13 11:59 AM
    Eric Savitz has never been positive on BlackBerry, I mean NEVER.
    03-05-13 12:00 PM
    Eric Savitz has never been positive on BlackBerry, I mean NEVER.
    I think someone that owned a BlackBerry stole this guys ol' lady, or stuffed him in a locker.
    03-05-13 12:13 PM
    The telegraph is way off.
    I have not seen prices drop at all and these one off special sales do not count.
    relax
    03-05-13 12:28 PM
    Dows he work for BGR?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 12:32 PM
    03-05-13 12:32 PM
    That is exactly the same report, just quoted from a different source. Faucette is wrong, and likely knows it; he has cherry-picked a couple of sales offered by RETAILERS and suggested these are evidence of widespread price reductions.

He's trying to take one or two isolated deals and make a trend out of it. And, again, he's been historically negative on BB. He's advised clients to short them in the past (despite the fact the stock is more than double where it was when he claimed the company was going out of business last fall).
    03-05-13 12:36 PM
    EDIT: And just so we're clear, this analyst declared last fall that the Z10 wouldn't even make it to market; he's shown a very clear skepticism for all things BlackBerry.
    Excellent point - this should be evidence of the quality of Savitz' analysis in the past. While likely not (nor should anyone expect) selling out @ iPhone pace, it is an available product & is selling well in the available markets. The upcoming earnings report will be interesting, and some of these analysts like Savitz, will yet again - eat their words.
    03-05-13 12:46 PM
    and today Rogers slashed Iphone 5 price to $99, I read this on MobileSyrup
    Two more months and it will be a $0 phone. The problem is that there is little reason to move from 4 or 4S to 5, its the same user experience.
    If you want something fresh you go with Z10.
    smithy67 likes this.
    03-05-13 12:46 PM
    Funny got this from Rogers today!
    Attached Thumbnails Disturbing news from the UK-img_00000070.jpg  
    03-05-13 12:47 PM
    It's a crock people just scare mongering I know I work at carphone warehouse the handset is on deal of the week which finishes on Friday and the cheapest option after that is 33 pcm

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 12:49 PM
28 12