Just looked at my mobile data usage and notice that over the past few weeks I have used quite a bit without realising. Here's why I assume! My home and business wireless routers are timed to shut down at night. I put the phone into Bedside mode and although this shuts down notifications it does not shut down the incoming messages. So my phone is getting emails through its data plan during the night. Now I am going to have to shut down the data plan. There's an idea for an app if there are any developers reading (if there's not already one)...
    03-04-13 12:58 PM
    Couldn't you just not shut down the router? What's the idea behind that?
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    03-04-13 01:04 PM
    Bedside mode is NOT increasing your mobile data usage. Bedside mode has nothing to do with this scenario. Your routers getting switched off is the reason. Bedside mode is working as designed and your title is misleading.
    Rayysai likes this.
    03-04-13 01:05 PM
    Couldn't you just not shut down the router? What's the idea behind that?
    Do you always leave yours on then 24/7.
    03-04-13 01:08 PM
    Bedside mode is NOT increasing your mobile data usage. Bedside mode has nothing to do with this scenario. Your routers getting switched off is the reason. Bedside mode is working as designed and your title is misleading.
    Its certainly something to be aware of though! Not something I thought about before.
    03-04-13 01:09 PM
    Do you always leave yours on then 24/7.
    dracolnyte likes this.
    03-04-13 01:11 PM
    Why would you shut down your routers at night? This is one of those self correcting problems that I think you should figure out...

Really, this is something that you do on your own. If this is an issue, you should turn off all notifications off at night or turn on your router and leave it on...
    03-04-13 01:13 PM
    Here's an interesting read for you:

Wi-Fi Health Dangers & Radiation Health Effects

Specifically: Duration is a Factor in Wi-Fi Health Dangers:- Most wi fi heath damage comes from cable modems and DSL routers don’t get turned off at night: they stay on. connecting your machines to the internet whether you’re surfing or not…and flooding your space with EMFs 24/7
    03-04-13 01:17 PM
    Facepalm

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte and rflan7 like this.
    03-04-13 01:18 PM
    One does not simply turn off a router at night.
    03-04-13 01:19 PM
    Everything these days is harmful lol. Drink water and it is harmful, breathing this bad air is harmful.

Ill take my chances leaving my routers on lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    Spawn12 likes this.
    03-04-13 01:24 PM
    One does not simply turn off a router at night.
    I lol'd. Thank you. LOTR ftw.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    03-04-13 01:25 PM
    If you need your phone on at night while in Bedside mode why don't you just turn data off on the phone? That makes the most sense that would correct your situation.
    03-04-13 01:26 PM
    Facepalm

Posted via CB10
    I am not suggesting for one minute that I dont know the reason for the data increase. What I was trying to get across was that with the Z10 you dont turn the phone off you generally put the phone into bedside mode. Of course if you are like me and shut down your router at night this means the data plan is active. Something I hadnt thought about until I checked my data useage. Now of course I will. I will be shutting my data plan down at night.
    03-04-13 01:28 PM
    That page is full of so much false information its ridiculous. Cellphone signals are penetrating your house regardless, the sun is the largest emitter of radiation, and let's not forget radio and television broadcasting antennas with tens of thousands of watts of transmitting power transmitting 24/7 in the most populated areas.

Leave your router on. Or turn your phone off at night if you still want to listen to these conspiracy theories.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 01:28 PM

Specifically: Duration is a Factor in Wi-Fi Health Dangers:- Most wi fi heath damage comes from cable modems and DSL routers don’t get turned off at night: they stay on. connecting your machines to the internet whether you’re surfing or not…and flooding your space with EMFs 24/7
    Don't worry all of these harmful effects can be reversed with homeopathic shavings from HDMI cables.

Seriously though that's a quack site whose purpose is to sell their quack remedies.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-04-13 01:31 PM
    I think some of you guys should take a valium and chill out on the OP. There's no need to get snarky. Okay, so you don't think it's necessary to turn your routers off. No need for the condescension and sarcasm. Is that what this forum is about?

Similarly, if you don't like the suggestion that bedside mode causing increased data usage, as the title suggests, why not just say so and say why in an adult manner instead of getting your rocks off by dissing the guy?
    SlcCorrado and lactose like this.
    03-04-13 01:33 PM

So you're worried about WIFI per yet you're an advide BB fan and will stick a high powered cell phone to your head... I don't know where to start.
    npisano likes this.
    03-04-13 01:33 PM
    one does not simply turn off a router at night.
    this ^^^^^ 365!!
    03-04-13 01:35 PM
    So you're worried about WIFI per yet you're an advide BB fan and will stick a high powered cell phone to your head... I don't know where to start.
    This is a pointless post. The OP isn't the only one concerned about EMF. Many people have to use wireless devices. So he's thinking about possibly mitigating the perceived harmful effects. So what? That doesn't make him an *****.

Sheesh, you guys all have personal foibles that are as weird and probably weirder. Get off the flippin' high horse.
    The Furbz likes this.
    03-04-13 01:35 PM
    Yep, me too. Never heard anyone turning theirs off at night.
    03-04-13 01:36 PM
    This is a pointless post. The OP isn't the only one concerned about EMF. Many people have to use wireless devices. So he's thinking about possibly mitigating the perceived harmful effects. So what? That doesn't make him an *****.

Sheesh, you guys all have personal foibles that are as weird and probably weirder. Get off the flippin' high horse.
    Relax, Francis... sounds like you've had a little too much WIFI exposure there, bud.
    03-04-13 01:43 PM
    bedside mode only shuts up your phone when you sleep, but it still allows messages to come through; it just doesnt let you know of it. I thought this was well known, but apparently not
    03-04-13 01:45 PM
    Err who said it was by my head. Regardless you are quite right. This is half the point, in bedside mode I hadnt considered that data is still flowing and costing. Ok so shoot me down in flames for turning my router off!!!
    mset likes this.
    03-04-13 01:48 PM
    Relax, Francis... sounds like you've had a little too much WIFI exposure there, bud.
    Welcome to CB, noob. Grow up just a little and you'll fit right in.
    Err who said it was by my head. Regardless you are quite right. This is half the point, in bedside mode I hadnt considered that data is still flowing and costing. Ok so shoot me down in flames for turning my router off!!!
    I wouldn't worry about our young friend. He's one of these people who derives meaning by berating people he doesn't know on the internet. It makes him feel like he's participating in life... because his real life isn't working out for him.

If turning your router off seems like the right thing to do, it's obviously not going to hurt. Who knows whether you'll have the last laugh.
    03-04-13 01:50 PM
54 123