Every time I read the articles posted on CB, I'm always noticing grammar and spelling errors. I'm not an expert in either, so the fact that I'm catching them isn't exactly a good thing.

Do the writers proof read what they're publishing? I don't want this to offend anyone, but I just think it really degrates the professionalism that this site should be showing.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 11:18 AM
    I agree, it's quite frustrating when I'm reading the RSS feed and it has a lot of mistakes.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-04-13 11:22 AM
    We'll do better. Promise.
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-04-13 11:33 AM
    I have a degree in journalism and I'm appalled by the typos and grammatical errors not only on CrackBerry, but throughout the Web on both minor and major sites. People have been empowered by the Web and I'm sure part of the problem is a rush to be first. However, as we all know, with great power comes great responsibility. I'd include proper writing skills in that area of responsibility.
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-04-13 11:36 AM
    Hey All,

Nice thread! Like Adam said... we'll try harder. With the new site redesign coming live soon, we'll want to be nice and clean on the spelling and grammar front. To be honest, our old blog CMS didn't even have spell check.. the one on the new site does, so that will help out right away for the times when we blog quick and right into the editor.

THAT SAID... you need to remember... I don't think of CrackBerry as a site ran by journalists and trained tech bloggers. That's never been the goal. We take people who live and breathe and know BlackBerry, and give them a venue to write. Some are good writers. Some are great. Others are not, and I don't care... as there is nobody better to be writing.

I'd rather experience typos and grammatical errors by a person who knows the subject, vs. reading well written stuff by an ***** who doesn't know what they have a clue they are talking about. And THAT's what's happening way too often on the internet today. Lots of good writers who don't know crap about their subject matter. That's what makes CrackBerry and Mobile Nations the best. It's real tech, by real people.

That said... one of these days I'll get a copy editor onboard to do a good proof on every story that goes out the door. Typos shouldn't be there. As for grammar... I like proper grammar unless it interferes with the personality of the writer. Another thing I hate about most websites I visit is that there is no author voice. Every article sounds like it's written by the same person, even though there are 20 different author names on that page. That sucks. I hate it. I like authors to have a personality. You should know when you're reading a post by Kevin vs. a post by Bla1ze.

So within that greater context, we'll definitely work on our proofing. But I refuse to let CrackBerry change its DNA. It's what has made us so successful across CrackBerry and all of our sites.
    03-04-13 01:39 PM
    This reminds me when I was a wee lad. I would write my sister letters and she would send them back, with the spelling mistakes corrected!
    For some it's HOW words are written and for others, it's WHAT is written that's important.
    billsterjito likes this.
    03-04-13 06:09 PM
    Content is key! Not Grammer.
    "edit"- This comment^^. was not intended to be rude or harsh, I just like to get to the point!

CB10 App, Z10
    Last edited by billsterjito; 03-04-13 at 07:40 PM.
    03-04-13 06:20 PM
    Don't get me wrong I agree with Kevin's post 100% about knowing who's writing it without even reading the authors name. I guess you can call it a small pet peeve for me :P.
    03-04-13 06:47 PM