I'm in UK with O2 & received a text from them saying I had gone over my data usage for this month. I have a contract with 2GB per month.

I'm on wifi connection for probably 70% of the week & all emails, downloads, apps are all going through wifi. I send a lot of photos most days to family of my new son but again that's via email over wifi.

I don't use Web or download videos etc the other 30% of the week when I'm out of wifi range & I don't play any games on my phone.

Have unlimited calls & texts so I don't understand how I can be using 2GB of data? Never used that much when I was on BIS & was never connected to wifi as it used to eat my battery on the 9860.

Will be contacting O2 but just wanted to see if anyone else had high data issues?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 05:37 AM
    I have a huge spike in my data usage too! Have crossed my monthly limit already...had to upgrade my plan. Boo!
    03-04-13 05:50 AM
    I used 0.5gb in 4 days but I am a person who likes to play with my phone a lot, especially when I am on bus

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 06:19 AM
    I'm having issues too, but I'm stuck on 500MB per month
    03-04-13 06:27 AM
    1.9GB in 4 days. No mobile hotspot enabled and on WiFi half the time.
    03-04-13 06:29 AM
    Check your Dropbox and Box settings. Make sure Use Cellular Network is off (so that syncing is done only via wifi).

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 06:31 AM
    From February 5 to 28 I used 5Gb of data and 70% of the time I'm on wifi!! Something is wrong, before with my galaxy note about 4 Gb a month, will call Rogers to clarify this...

Posted via my White Z10
    03-04-13 06:31 AM
    So looks like the way BB10 has been designed with no BIS it seems to be a data monster.

Also finding with O2 at moment that I'm not getting all my emails or they are hours late even though I have everything set for 15min sync.

Some things not right but I'm not sure what.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 06:35 AM
    Thats better than not being able to set up an email account at all!!
    03-04-13 06:38 AM
    You may have to try a wipe on the device/reset to factory to fix the Email issue if your carrier cant help you with it. Also, without the data compression (up to 80% on BIS), you will see usage go through the roof.
    03-04-13 06:40 AM
    Best plan is All you can eat for smartphones and you don't have to worry otherwise you count every Kb. In UK only 3network offers unlimited internet for less money than others.

Posted via BB Z10
    03-04-13 06:42 AM
    Thats really unusual! I am on O2 as well with a 1Gb plan and since 25th February Ive only used 155.87Mb! This is ALOT higher than I used when on BIS but still well below what i was expecting knowing that I was losing the data compression.

Admittedly I don't get too many emails sent to me and the ones that I do are either just text or I don't download the pictures/attachments and I connect to WiFi whenever I can. I also have it connected to Dropbox but don't really use it so I wont be synching anything.

So...there must be something eating up all your data when you're not on WiFi...
    03-04-13 06:53 AM
    I've had my phone for 10 days and have used 19 MB. I'm mostly on wifi (90% maybe?), but not always. I haven't used any media while on the mobile network, just email, bbm, and a couple of apps that would have been updating (BeWeather, etc.)
    03-04-13 06:54 AM
    From Feb5th until my billing cycle changed over yesterday, I used 5.2GB of data. Which I expected because there is no data compression and I have a 6gb data plan. And that was trying to torture test my data for the month.
    03-04-13 07:08 AM
    I do my downloading on wifi, I have the same 2 gig plan I had with my Iphone, no difference in data usage between the 2.

Posted from my Z10.
    03-04-13 07:13 AM
    This is an area of major concern for me. The first month I had to way of actually tracking my usage with Rogers using the "MyAccount" app so that was up in the air. However, over the weekend my account way cycled over so now I can see whats up and it is not good. Up to yesterday I had zero data usage because I am home and on wifi 100% of the time but this morning all I did was send a few BBM messages and the data usage is already at 1KB even though I never left the house and I'm on wifi all the time. This for me would be make or break for Blackberry Z10, if this is not resolved soon. I had no such issues with my 9900 or any of the frevious Blackberrys that I've owned.
    03-04-13 08:11 AM
    I don't have my Z10 yet (in U.S.) but this is a concern. Is there a chance that your devices are not moving over to wifi where it is available and using your carrier? Or are there apps (cloud like Evernote, Dropbox, weather, RSS feeds) that we didn't care about before because of data compression? When Bridge is updated, I will also have to watch what I do with my PB more carefully as well. If this is bad enough I just might have to reconsider about buying a device outright to keep my unlimited data plan on Verizon ...

If you guys wouldn't mind experimenting with this and updating, it would be much appreciated. TIA.
    03-04-13 09:40 AM
    56mb out of 5GB shared data plan?

No issue here, i would call you provider up and scream at them as why the **** should you be over your data usage on a 2GB plan if you use wifi 70% as you claim.

I use wifi 80-90% of the time.
    03-04-13 09:42 AM
    I've checked both my box & Dropbox apps & they are both switched off & only sync via wifi. I also don't have any weather apps running in the background & actually close down apps when not in use so my thought too was that wifi wasn't switching but I have the little symbol in top right that does change to data symbols when I'm out of wifi range so it does look like it is switching onto wifi correctly when in range.

Everything else is off so just don't know what's eating the data.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 09:50 AM
    The data mystery continues...my monthly data allowance is back to 2GB as my bill runs from 5th of each month.....anyway I've been in all day connected to my wifi but yet I've just checked my O2 account & it says I've used 95.39MB of data ....how is that even possible?

I have no apps running in background & everything that does run is via wifi so how can I have used data?

My office wifi is working fine as I've had my PlayBook connected to it so it must be a Z10 wifi problem?

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha and EsJayDee like this.
    03-05-13 09:30 AM
    My data usage actually went down this past month, 3 weeks of which I was on my new Bell Z10.
    I average between 500 and 850 mb per month on a Bell Plan (Email & Internet BB 1GB Flex) and my data usage for my billing period that just ended yesterday was like 510 mb.

I'm careful not to do Dropbox, Youtube, streaming services, podcast downloads via Nobex, BB World App downloads, etc. when off wifi. I also use my Garmin GPS in my car, rather than the BB maps app. I think I've been conscious of the data pigs, so an crossing my fingers that I am able to stay on a 1 gb plan. Bell's data billing was really unpredictable when I had a Galaxy SII, so I'll continue to monitor closely.
    Scooter68 likes this.
    03-05-13 10:34 AM
    The data mystery continues...my monthly data allowance is back to 2GB as my bill runs from 5th of each month.....anyway I've been in all day connected to my wifi but yet I've just checked my O2 account & it says I've used 95.39MB of data ....how is that even possible?

I have no apps running in background & everything that does run is via wifi so how can I have used data?

My office wifi is working fine as I've had my PlayBook connected to it so it must be a Z10 wifi problem?
    Posted via CB10
    You can check on "My O2" (View your Bill --> My Bill --> My Recent Charges --> What I've used --> UK Browse and Download) when and how much data is being used. What I've just noticed is that I have data usage at midnight every single night of varying levels from 10Mb to 30Mb to mobile.o2.co.uk however I'm on my WiFi at that time every day! I can only assume that O2 billing accumulates the data and applies the previous days usage at midnight to the bill?

I'll be on annual leave on Friday so I'm going to make a point of trying to not use any data over the cellular network and see how much data I'm using when only connected to WiFi.
    TrueKulcha and EsJayDee like this.
    03-05-13 10:53 AM
    387.3MB in 2 weeks, not bad
    03-05-13 12:13 PM
    5 days 568Mb, I'm on a 1G plan, but Vodafone UK give me 3 months free unlimited data, it's some sort of promotion. So I'm gonna nail it when I can.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 12:33 PM
    Same here! Part of it I'm sure was the use of BlackBerry maps. It's a bit disturbing when I never came close to using my allowance with my 9800. Oh well, at least the 6GB upgrade only costs the same as adding BlackBerry Enterprise to my account.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 12:56 PM
134 123 ...