Ideally I'd like to be able to be able to enable/disable stuff like Bluetooth and wifi if possible. Bluetooth for the car and wifi for the house type pf thing
    Is that possible? .
    03-01-13 05:27 AM
    Yup. Someone with more knowledge of this posted a few hours ago. I'm sure it can be found with a search. They also posted this link on how they do it.

http://nfctags.tagstand.com/collecti...her-combo-pack

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-01-13 05:30 AM
    Yeah, you just need NFC tags, which can be stuck on anywhere(ex doorframe, car dash, etc.). You can also transfer files, add a BBM Contact, invite to group(i believe), along with other things.
    03-01-13 05:32 AM
    ah, my search didnt turn up anything about manipulating settings like wifi. Just file sharing and potential virtural credit cards.

Where does one find it, I've looked at the smart tags app but it seems quite limited in what it can do.

And I am aware of the NFC tags, they do seem to have potential.
    03-01-13 05:46 AM
    My NFC is enabled in my phone and the phone is set to my Paypal account for payments.

Does this mean I can say walk into the likes of MacDonalds etc and wave my phone over the NFC payment device to pay for goods and services etc?
    03-01-13 05:54 AM
    Yes def lots of potential just don't think the current uses are for everyone.
    Not speaking from experience just from threads and forums I've read.

Seems that nfc can be used To bump" websites, pics, vcards to other nfc users in proximity.

I'll try and find the other thread from last night but essentially the user had nfc tags at home/work/in car and by simply tapping the phone they were changing profile settings like bluetooth and wifi and volume. Makes sense to do it all in one tap and save battery life as well.

I can't speak to other banks outside of Canada but i did call rbc and td about mobile payments and setting up my debjt/credit cards ti my nfc chip.

Both reps said that we are close to having it but not quite there yet they seem to be racing to be first ti market with it. I was told that all the technology is in place from secure airwaves to security on devices. They seem to be working on the last step which is incorporating some sort if user confirmation that's easy but confirms the device older is actually intending to make the purchase and not just walking by a point of sale terminal at say mcd's.

Exciting potential tho.

03-01-13 07:11 AM
    Nfc which Samsung galaxy s3 already had this available can be used for sure tap payment processing gateways installed at stores banks and restuaunts.

Problem is its in its infancy in North America and other parts of the world right now. So no big issue.

Nfc can be used like blue tooth send files, pics and contact info and so forth, it's like using the app called Bump.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-01-13 07:21 AM
    Can't wait for mobile payments. I recall Thor saying Ppl will forget their keys. May forget their wallet but highly unlikely they'll forget their phone. Gonna make life a little easier with a few less things to carry.

03-01-13 07:25 AM
    Actually NFC uses bluetooth to do any of the data transfer. NFC is just to provide a secure handshake between devices. Range of NFC is 4cm. So for instance you want to share a picture with another phone with NFC. You initiate the share with NFC,tap devices to "pair" and the picture is then sent over bluetooth.
    03-01-13 07:27 AM
    Honestly I'm still not sold on putting credit cards on a phone. While convenient it just seems like your starting to put all your eggs in one basket.

So I guess for the time being you cant manipulate settings with NFC. Owell, I'll pick up a couple tags and set them up as this functionality cant be far behind.
    03-02-13 05:15 AM
    Honestly I'm still not sold on putting credit cards on a phone. While convenient it just seems like your starting to put all your eggs in one basket.

So I guess for the time being you cant manipulate settings with NFC. Owell, I'll pick up a couple tags and set them up as this functionality cant be far behind.
    I understand the concerns of security with the nfc credit card payments but I would trus trust BlackBerry over any other phone company

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 10:59 AM
    Actually from a security perspective using your phone is more secure. Lose your credit card and all your numbers, dates and signature are right there. On a phone you need a password to open the payment app to even use it and no possibility of double swiping with the magnetic readers. Lose your phone it can be shut down with BlackBerry Protect.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 11:40 AM
    Has anyone been able to conduct a file transfer over NFC with another device? I was trying to send a photo to my friend's Galaxy Nexus yesterday, but the Nexus kept saying "The receiver does not support large files" or something like that, even though the Z10 was supposed to be the sender, not the receiver. Z10 wasn't saying anything at all, it was just sitting at the NFC share page with the instructions to align the two phones back-to-back.
    03-02-13 11:53 AM
    I have done successful nfc file transfers. You tap to pair and then it sends, you don't have to hold them back to back for very long.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 03:53 PM
    I believe that the "Receiver" that it was talking about is the NFC receiver in the Galaxy Nexus. I don't believe that there is a limitation with the Z10.

I'll test this when I get the chance!
    -RG

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 05:29 PM
    Has anyone been able to conduct a file transfer over NFC with another device? I was trying to send a photo to my friend's Galaxy Nexus yesterday, but the Nexus kept saying "The receiver does not support large files" or something like that, even though the Z10 was supposed to be the sender, not the receiver. Z10 wasn't saying anything at all, it was just sitting at the NFC share page with the instructions to align the two phones back-to-back.
    I got the same message when trying to transfer (Android to Android) to a phone running an earler version of Android. Might be coincidence, but once she was updated to 4.1.1 it worked fine.
    03-02-13 05:38 PM
    I have a Galaxy Nexus and use Google Wallet to pay for things where there is an NFC terminal like a paypass or paywave station. I wonder if there will be a similar app that comes out on BB10 soon. That would be perfect for NFC. Also file transfers and stuff but I don't think the protocols between OS are standardized so it could be why Z10 > Gnex won't work. When I get my hands an a Z10, I'll def be testing things out.
    03-02-13 05:58 PM
    I believe that the "Receiver" that it was talking about is the NFC receiver in the Galaxy Nexus. I don't believe that there is a limitation with the Z10.

I'll test this when I get the chance!
    -RG

Posted via CB10
    Photo in question was just 974 KB, could the Nexus have such a small file size limitation for NFC?

I got the same message when trying to transfer (Android to Android) to a phone running an earler version of Android. Might be coincidence, but once she was updated to 4.1.1 it worked fine.
    I think the Nexus in question was running 4.1.1, but I'll have to double-check next time I see my friend.
    03-02-13 06:10 PM
    If the Z10 was trying to push the photo through NFC instead of with Bluetooth, I guess it's *possible*... that is an awfully small file though.

Let me know how it goes!!
    -RG

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 09:25 PM
    If the Z10 was trying to push the photo through NFC instead of with Bluetooth, I guess it's *possible*... that is an awfully small file though.

Let me know how it goes!!
    -RG

Posted via CB10
    I believe Bluetooth was off on both phones. Should it be on for the transfer?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 09:45 PM
    Nfc which Samsung galaxy s3 already had this available can be used for sure tap payment processing gateways installed at stores banks and restuaunts.

Problem is its in its infancy in North America and other parts of the world right now. So no big issue.

Nfc can be used like blue tooth send files, pics and contact info and so forth, it's like using the app called Bump.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    the bold 9900 from 2011 has nfc along with some other berrys.
    03-02-13 09:56 PM
    When you turn on NFC, i know the 9900 will turn on bluetooth as well. I would assume and hope if bluetooth wasn't on, that a NFC enable phone would turn on anything else required to send data. I have transferred a 20mb video file from a z10 to a 9900 with no issue other then speed. File transfer over bluetooth is slow.
    03-02-13 10:12 PM
    When you turn on NFC, i know the 9900 will turn on bluetooth as well. I would assume and hope if bluetooth wasn't on, that a NFC enable phone would turn on anything else required to send data. I have transferred a 20mb video file from a z10 to a 9900 with no issue other then speed. File transfer over bluetooth is slow.
    The Z10 doesn't turn on Bluetooth when I turn on NFC. The Nexus didn't seem to do so either. But I'll try turning it on next time.
    03-02-13 10:13 PM
    ah, my search didnt turn up anything about manipulating settings like wifi. Just file sharing and potential virtural credit cards.

Where does one find it, I've looked at the smart tags app but it seems quite limited in what it can do.

And I am aware of the NFC tags, they do seem to have potential.
    NFC specification allows a NFC tag to be written with an URI to define what the tag can initiate on the device that reads it.
    Not all URIs are supported on every platform. On BB10, calling a number, opening a web page, and few other URIs are supported. Toggling/ turning on/off wfi and bluetooth are not supported. I don't think that they are even supported by NFC Tag specification.
    Regardless of what platform you are using, one thing is common for all platforms: NFC tags by default only do one thing, and not a set of things.

3rd party apps on BB OS (NFCShortcuts+ShortcutMe), BB10 (MyProfilesPro) and Android (NFC Task Launcher, etc), however, can do multiple, user-customizable tasks when a single NFC tag is tapped.

MyProfilesPro is a native 3rd party BB10 app that can do what you want and maybe more. You can read about it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...c-tags-769813/
    03-12-13 05:29 AM
    the bold 9900 from 2011 has nfc along with some other berrys.
    9360 has it as well, not sure about 9320 series. The Torch models don't. Interestingly but rarely-mentioned is that the 4G LTE playbook also has NFC-capabilities but they are currently disabled...maybe in the BB10 update?
    03-27-13 03:10 PM
26 12