View Poll Results: Do you use NFC?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

23 35.94%
  • NFC? As in Never Freaking Cared?

41 64.06%
    NFC, a feature all smartphones boast about. The whole 'tap & share' movement.
    The concept is great, such as.. Tapping and paying for a purchase with an on-board virtual credit card?
    AWESOME

Personally, I've tried it ONCE to share a photo and never laid hands on it ever again.
    There's just no widespread (in Vancouver, anyway) utilization of NFC for anything.
    QR codes are still the hype.

So... do you use NFC on your Z10? And if you do, when and what for?
    hakdaddy1 likes this.
    02-28-13 06:45 PM
    Nope! I'm still an NFC virgin! Hehe! ; )

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    cman5, filmansantiago and sosof like this.
    02-28-13 06:49 PM
    Before switching to the Z10, I had a Galaxy Nexus, which I used Google Wallet on a few times (it was really really buggy and embarrassing, so I didn't use it more often). Anyways, I went from a Gnex to a Nexus 4, and whatever Google did, they completely ruined wallet. Out of the 10 or so times I tried it with the Nexus 4, it worked *once* which is way too embarrassing to be taken seriously. I sold my Nexus 4 and got the Z10, and haven't used NFC since. Maybe if a decent payment app is released, I might try it. To be honest though, it wasn't even any more convenient than just keeping a card in my pocket, so I might not use a payment app even if one became available.
    02-28-13 07:00 PM
    I have one working tag at the moment but did have others...The carpenter took two off the spine of my door and chucked them not knowing what they were. I have a few spares but mainly waiting to be able to pay for things with NFC.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-28-13 07:02 PM
    Nope.

Posted via CB10 using BBZ10
    02-28-13 07:10 PM
    havent used it once. haha
    02-28-13 07:38 PM
    nah not big in London the only thing NFC everywhere is oyster card.
    02-28-13 07:51 PM
    Never used it yet...but sure is great it's on there so i got the option to...some point in time lol.
    02-28-13 08:08 PM
    NFC is pretty neat and it will be even better once more API's are available in BB10.

Currently I have the following tags set up:

1 stuck to my alarm clock that sets the volume to 0 and turns Bluetooth off.
    1 stuck to my desk at home that sets the volume to 100 and turns Bluetooth on. (Connects to BB Music Gateway, PlayBook)
    1 stuck to the dash in my car that turns Bluetooth on, sets the volume to 100 and launches the music player.
    1 stuck to my desk at work that turns Bluetooth off and sets the volume to 70
    1 stuck to my notebook at work that turns the volume to 0 for meetings.

I'm using the MyProfilesPro app and bought my tags from Tagstand - NFC Task Launcher Combo Pack if anyone is wondering.
    02-28-13 08:26 PM
    NFC is pretty neat and it will be even better once more API's are available in BB10.

1 stuck to my desk at home that sets the volume to 100 and turns Bluetooth on. (Connects to BB Music Gateway, PlayBook)
    1 stuck to the dash in my car that turns Bluetooth on, sets the volume to 100 and launches the music player.

I'm using the MyProfilesPro app and bought my tags from Tagstand - NFC Task Launcher Combo Pack if anyone is wondering.

What app, or method did you use to program the features to react to the NFC tags?
    02-28-13 08:37 PM
    What app, or method did you use to program the features to react to the NFC tags?
    MyProfilesPro, it's in BlackBerry World.
    tg1 likes this.
    02-28-13 08:43 PM
    Jojsonpb: the Yoda of NFC

Posted via CB10
    hakdaddy1 likes this.
    02-28-13 09:51 PM
    Haven't used NFC...but have questions:
    Can this be used for RFID security badge readers on entrance doors? My company has these door scanners throughout the site...setting the Z10 to act like me badge would ROCK!
    /thx.
    EsJayDee, MrC05 and Acumenight like this.
    02-28-13 10:23 PM

That's amazing. So many ways to use the Z10+NFC i'd never have thought about.
    Last edited by Dzyen; 05-24-13 at 11:32 AM.
    lando989 likes this.
    02-28-13 10:27 PM
    i wished you gave more choices for the poll. the no is a bit of an extreme. No i havent used it, but i been wanting to use it on something, like the CIBC payment app
    ibpluto likes this.
    02-28-13 10:36 PM
    I just use it to share with other z10 users. I work at a BlackBerry friendly firm so we have a lot of people with the new BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 10:37 PM
    Never used it once on my 9900 or z10. They should include nfc tags with phone. There cheap but nobody sells them. Pain in the *** to spend 1$ on something that costs 10 for shipping

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    02-28-13 10:40 PM
    + 1 on that ^^ great use ideas from "The NFC Yoda" now I have to get some tags!
    Any input on battery drainage with NFC on? Do you leave it on all the time?
    CB10 App, Z10
    02-28-13 10:51 PM
    + 1 on that ^^ great use ideas from "The NFC Yoda" now I have to get some tags!
    Any input on battery drainage with NFC on? Do you leave it on all the time?
    CB10 App, Z10
    Yeah, I leave it on all the time. I've never really been concerned with the battery life in the Z10.

I really want one of these - Yale Real Living locks with NFC technology at CES 2012 | CrackBerry.com
    03-02-13 07:07 AM
    Using it with my BlackBerry music gateway but other than that, nope.

Written under BB10
    03-02-13 08:02 AM
    Thanks !
    This looks great !
    03-02-13 08:08 AM
    Never used it, but want to. I wish my bank and more retailers would get on board to fast track its use.
    EsJayDee and Acumenight like this.
    03-02-13 08:41 AM
    Can this be used for RFID security badge readers on entrance doors? My company has these door scanners throughout the site...setting the Z10 to act like me badge would ROCK!
    /thx.
    2nd this... I work with programming RFID readers, it would be useful if NFC on the Z10 could be used to test hardware with...
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-07-13 05:34 PM
    /thx.
    NFC enabled BlackBerry models are capable of emulating security badges for systems that at least (there are some other requirements too) work based on the 13.56MHz frequency (NFC):
    Replace Physical Access Badges with BlackBerry Smartphones using NFC �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-09-13 05:36 AM
    Used it once on the train to Kingston. They gave adverts by the side of the doors that are NFC tags. I only tried it to test my Z10

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-09-13 05:51 AM
62 123