My comment is I can see this happening. I just been Playing Nova 3 on Z10 this morning and I thought to myself how great looking this game is for a phone. The game runs on Z10 extra smooth. For $6 which includes online snd campaign game this game is a steal. For a regular price of Xbox or Ps game I could get several of these games. I think bb is going in this direction given amount of high native games coming to z10 every day.

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins has talked several times about BB 10 competing in other areas besides smartphones and tablets.* We previously wrote that, with the upcoming BlackBerry docking stations, BlackBerry will be competing against Apple and Microsoft in desktop and laptop computers.

The fact that BlackBerry will be adding gamepad support to BB 10 has been on the developer roadmap for several months.* However, besides the words �gamepad support�, there has not been any public description of what that actually involves � until today.

With gamepad support, BlackBerry 10 users can play a game on their smartphone using a physical gamepad instead of the virtual one on the touchscreen.* This is particularly appealing to serious gamers, since physical gamepads are superior in several ways, including response time and tactile feedback.* Currently, 3 types of gamepads are supported on BB 10.* SteelSeries Free and Wii Remote are already supported in the 10.0 version of the NDK, while Gametel support will be added in 10.1 (the beta is available for download).* It is almost certain that support for more gamepads will be added in the near future.

Consoles Face Risk of Being Disrupted by BlackBerry 10

At the PlayStation 4 announcement event yesterday, a common question was whether the console�s impressive specs can overcome the demographic shift, in which users are increasingly playing games on mobile devices.* There is no doubt that a console is needed for hardcore gamers looking for the ultimate gaming experience.* However, with a BlackBerry Z10, a user can save $200-$300 by not having to purchase a console and its associated accessories.* It is likely inevitable that over time, BlackBerry will take market share from the likes of Nintendo WiiU and PlayStation Vita, and even consoles like the upcoming XBox 720 and PlayStation 4.

The timing of this development is very exciting, since the Ouya console is currently generating quite a bit of buzz, and even Nvidia is getting into gaming.* In addition, this sort of gamepad support is another area where BlackBerry 10 is ahead of iOS 6 on the iPhone 5, since the latter does not offer support for physical gamepads.

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2013...playstation-4/

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    Corbu, j_fiore and vjvj like this.
    02-28-13 09:21 AM
    If you are referring to casual gamers, then yes, I can somewhat see your point...
    If you are referring to console gamers, then I doubt anyone will be replacing their playstation or xbox with a smartphone, no matter how good it is...
    I love my PS3 (not sure if I'll get PS4 or not - not much time for video games anymore ) and I cannot see myself leaving a console for a phone.

I do think this might take attention away from the OUYA, but what might take more attention away from it is the fact that people can already do everything the OUYA can do with their current (higher end) android phones, unless I'm missing something.

However, that isnt to say I wont enjoy this feature. I have the n64 emulator running on my Z10 if I had a gamepad to use when connected to my TV that would be amazing, but it doesnt mean my ps3 is going to get thrown aside...

Just my opinion though, I might be waaaayyyy off based on the general consensus.
    02-28-13 09:50 AM
    This has been happing for a few years already with the iPhone and iPads and more recently the Android devices.

This is a serious issue for the game console industry because the casual gamer will not need to buy consoles like the wii etc

I think the failure of the wiiU is a perfect example of the impact phones and tablets are having on the casual gaming market.
    barnfoot likes this.
    02-28-13 09:52 AM
    I highly doubt it will disrupt Nintendo, and especially Sony's and Microsoft's gaming consoles, in any way, that is measurable. Totally different gaming audiences, and gaming "uses".
    02-28-13 09:56 AM
    I'm sorry, but if anything is "disrupting" the gaming industry, it won't be with the Z10 and it's 4.2" screen (HDMI out or not). People have already been using Playstation controllers connected to their phones via BT for a long time already, and the biggest hinderance currently to "full mobile gaming" is hardware (which BBRY has already stated it's not interested in waging war in). No matter how well optimized core software is, heavy duty gaming is very graphics intensive, and even on a quad core device like the Note 2, certain games with high frame rates can cause choppiness.

Check this video out at the 8:06 mark for a better explanation as to mobile gaming..
    bitek likes this.
    02-28-13 09:59 AM
    Please feel free to add to the discussion in the existing thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...achine-774733/

Thank you.
    02-28-13 10:00 AM