Nothing that we didn't know. Looks old playbook will get the update.

BlackBerry exec allegedly confirms a new BB10 tablet will launch in 2013

Edit: Endgadget Update: "Well, that was quick! The exec mentioned above has told us he was misquoted, and that BlackBerry has no immediate plans for a new tablet, instead focusing fully on the Z10 and Q10 for now. Sorry, folks -- no PlayBook 2 for you."
    Last edited by bengalt9; 02-28-13 at 02:10 PM.
    psparks likes this.
    02-28-13 08:18 AM
    Yep -> BlackBerry Eyes New Tablet Despite Poor PlayBook Sales - Digits - WSJ

Last paragraph says a lot about the tablet wars.
    02-28-13 08:20 AM
    Its true that Apple is the market leader in the tablet world, but once the BB10 ecosystem catches up and people see that it has all the important apps on it, they will give it a shot. Once they realize how 'cooler' the products are things will change. But of course its not going to be a easy path.
    02-28-13 08:25 AM
    Alex Kinsella ‏@alexkinsella

@nerdberry that was a misquote. He confirmed BlackBerry 10 coming to existing PlayBooks.
    02-28-13 09:29 AM
    BlackBerry is making a mistake being once bitten twice shy of the Tablet market.

If they truly want to be a mobile computing company they need to be competitive in that space. There are countless enterprises even that are buying tablets. Restaurants are using them as menus. They need to have a Tablet offering.

BlackBerry 10 was clearly designed with a phone held in portrait orientation in mind but they can easily change the active frames up a bit to work in landscape like they do on the current Playbook.

I get that they don't want to talk about upcoming products while they are still trying to get the first two devices rolled out, but I'm getting the impression that Thorsten might think the path to success is to make BlackBerry into a niche player in the market and not really aiming to be number 1.

The only thing they can't do is half a$$ the next tablet because it's an even more cut throat market then the smart phone market. They have to go all in on tablets and commit to a fast paced product development cycle with each product refreshed twice annually.

Product development and execution are still the one area that is 100% old RIM. The company still isn't fast paced an forward thinking when it comes to their product development and they still can't catch up to the industry in terms of execution.
    02-28-13 09:51 AM
    Alex Kinsella ‏@alexkinsella

@nerdberry that was a misquote. He confirmed BlackBerry 10 coming to existing PlayBooks.
    Direct quote - “We are looking at future tablets, and how we can continue to play in the tablet business,” said David J. Smith, head of RIM’s mobile computing business. “We are definitely very interested in the tablet market. It’s a challenging market, but I still think people want to see a range of different products.”

So he was misquoted?
    02-28-13 09:55 AM
    Direct quote - �We are looking at future tablets, and how we can continue to play in the tablet business,� said David J. Smith, head of RIM�s mobile computing business. �We are definitely very interested in the tablet market. It�s a challenging market, but I still think people want to see a range of different products.�

So he was misquoted?
    He was misquoted regarding a new tablet coming in 2013. Your quote doesn't even quote the misquoted part. Quote.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-28-13 10:01 AM
    Clear as mud. BlackBerry new marketing = RIM old marketing.

So are they interested in a new tablet? Who knows.
    Are they upgrading to BB 10? As the faithful here say THAT'S OLD NEWS

Clear as mud.
    richardat and jegs2 like this.
    02-28-13 10:05 AM
    [QUOTE=SuperionMaximus;8047677]

If they truly want to be a mobile computing company they need to be competitive in that space. There are countless enterprises even that are buying tablets. Restaurants are using them as menus. They need to have a Tablet offering.
    Agree conceptually. However, Mr. Heins, how do you plan on turning a profit when your primary competitors are:

1. Apple - who has the majority of market share, can command high prices/margins, and has their own distribution channel

2. Amazon - who sells a decent tablet for really cheap, has their own distribution channel and offsets sales with content and advertising.

3. Google - who sells a great tablet for breakeven or even a loss and ultimately makes money on SEARCH not tablet sales

Not disputing the growth of the market; not disputing the need if more situations like the National Transportation Safety board pop up where they already had iPads in use and the existing support made it easy to add iPhones to the mix.

But it's easy to say "they should do it". It's another to have them make money on it in the current environment.

Product development and execution are still the one area that is 100% old RIM
    Don't agree there. The very different PR strategy I saw prior to launch says this is not "100% old RIM". I like to call improvements when I see 'em. That was a big one.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-28-13 10:15 AM
    4. HP - who will be selling a $169 tablet running stock Android and will run all the popular apps. This is so cheap it's in the impulse buy and birthday gift category.
    02-28-13 10:27 AM
    4. HP - who will be selling a $169 tablet running stock Android and will run all the popular apps. This is so cheap it's in the impulse buy and birthday gift category.
    I wonder what their slogan will be? "Buy our new tablet! We promise we won't abandon it a few weeks after we launch it, like we did with the Touchpad"
    Jean-luc_Picard and Jake2826 like this.
    02-28-13 10:39 AM
    I hope BB sells a BB10 tablet. I ditched an iPhone for BB. And I will ditch my iPad for a BB10 tablet.
    02-28-13 11:06 AM
    BTW I hope any new tablet from BB SHOULD be in the 10" category .............
    02-28-13 11:07 AM
    Well, the story, while nothing new, is consistent with what other marketing types in BB have been saying and the "secret" BB timetable which illustrates a new pad of different aspect ratio than the PlayBook (perhaps a larger one?) sometime in Q3 (late fall?) and a BB10 OS for the PlayBook in Q2 (summer?)
    02-28-13 12:24 PM
    02-28-13 12:25 PM
    I would be extremely happy to see a new PlayBook, preferably with the same pixel density as the Z10 and 2GB RAM. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    02-28-13 12:41 PM
    BlackBerry is making a mistake being once bitten twice shy of the Tablet market.

BlackBerry 10 was clearly designed with a phone held in portrait orientation in mind but they can easily change the active frames up a bit to work in landscape like they do on the current Playbook.

I get that they don't want to talk about upcoming products while they are still trying to get the first two devices rolled out, but I'm getting the impression that Thorsten might think the path to success is to make BlackBerry into a niche player in the market and not really aiming to be number 1.

The only thing they can't do is half a$$ the next tablet because it's an even more cut throat market then the smart phone market. They have to go all in on tablets and commit to a fast paced product development cycle with each product refreshed twice annually.

Product development and execution are still the one area that is 100% old RIM. The company still isn't fast paced an forward thinking when it comes to their product development and they still can't catch up to the industry in terms of execution.
    Excellent post. I do agree that the tablet market is extremely tough: even the extreme low-end is gone now....I had said this before, if they had gone in with the PB at say 250$ (instead they end up selling them off at 100$ anyways) - even with all it's flaws - they could have swept the low-end base and had a huge following. Still, it's in there interest to do something there. It's part of any companies strategy now....and the fact is, every competitor whether it's ios/android/winphone has offerings in that space.

I also think you're right....I haven't seen it said here before, though I've tried to hint at it....I think they might be going for - or resigned to - going for a niche market play: the luxury/business item. Their decisions, marketing and efforts seem so haphazard though in that regard, it's hard to tell though. I think it's the result of a generalized hope for a big across-the-board hit, and an underlying back-up plan of trying to be a high-end niche player....probably with the hope that they can then trickle-down, and eventually transfer the old BB base over. I think the BB board is probably waiting to see what happens themselves, and then going from there.
    02-28-13 01:44 PM
    engadget has confirmed this news to be false
    02-28-13 01:48 PM
    There is a new BB10 Tablet. It's called the PlayBook with BB10. LOL
    02-28-13 04:14 PM
    I think BB will licence BB10 for tablets
    02-28-13 04:42 PM
    I'm positive (IMO) Blackberry will release a new tablet in the future. I'm also sure the software on it will coincide with that on the phones and be used in the mobile computing world Blackberry is going to. What's more interesting is the devices needed to accomplish this. As the CEO stated himeself, plugging the device into a mobile docking station and maybe using a mouse and/or larger monitor would enhance the mobile experience. I'd love to be able to tap into apps in space and get rid of the office like software updates and purchase requirements one day. I want to plug my playbook (or other future Blackberry tablet) and/or phone into a mobile experience. I'm tired of laptops, software, thumb drives, etc... Still need a printer though I guess, but a thinner, faster, more capable tablet would fit my business needs perfectly.
    02-28-13 05:08 PM
    I don't know will the PlayBook with BlackBerry 10os will come in this year or not, but pretty sure will see it in the future. Mobile computing... will we even see a blackberry laptop?

Post via BlackBerry z10 Crackberry App
    QERNB likes this.
    02-28-13 07:27 PM
    I would be extremely happy to see a new PlayBook, preferably with the same pixel density as the Z10 and 2GB RAM. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    So would I
    02-28-13 08:08 PM
    By BBRY standards that most likely means we will see it the week between Christmas and New Years here in the States
    02-28-13 08:37 PM
    They can't possibly release a tablet unless the Z10/Q10 do really well. I think right now they simply lack the money to do this, with the associated risks and all.
    02-28-13 11:54 PM
41 12