Anybody any idea when or if BB10 will have the Push facility on the emails?
    02-28-13 04:47 AM
    Anybody any idea when or if BB10 will have the Push facility on the emails?
    Depending on who you ask push is already there on emails.
    Personally I had full push on all 5 of my email accounts for about 2 weeks, 4 of them Gmail.
    Now I find 3 push instantly, but the 4th doesn't for some reason.

Michael Clewley has said an update is coming, 'soon', which will improve the email stability.
    So while it may be a bit iffy at times at the moment, it shouldn't be for long. Hopefully.
    02-28-13 05:26 AM
    BB10 relies on ActiveSync for e-mail Push. It will have the same 'push capability' as all other devices (ios, Android, etc)
    02-28-13 05:28 AM
    BB10 relies on ActiveSync for e-mail Push. It will have the same 'push capability' as all other devices (ios, Android, etc)
    Except that Gmail no longer supports Activesync for new "free" accounts!. So there is that. I'm going to assume that the z10 supports Google's implementation of IMAP idle though (unlike iOS), so you should get pseudo push.
    02-28-13 08:20 AM
    Except that Gmail no longer supports Activesync for new "free" accounts!. So there is that. I'm going to assume that the z10 supports Google's implementation of IMAP idle though (unlike iOS), so you should get pseudo push.
    True. But this is not a BB10 limitation. Rather it is a Gmail limitation. All platforms (iOS, Android, etc) will suffer from this limitation. I know I am splitting hair but I just want to make sure that people dont blame BB10 for Google's decision.
    02-28-13 08:23 AM
    True. But this is not a BB10 limitation. Rather it is a Gmail limitation. All platforms (iOS, Android, etc) will suffer from this limitation. I know I am splitting hair but I just want to make sure that people dont blame BB10 for Google's decision.
    I'm sure they'll find a way to keep proper push on Android devices as a differentiating factor.
    Personally, I really wish BlackBerry took a different direction with their email services. Instead of dropping them, I wish it was developed more, so BlackBerry email could be a competitor to Google Mail. With contacts and Calendar integration, and proper push for BlackBerry devices only. I would happily switch from Gmail to BlackBerry mail if it was available.
    02-28-13 08:46 AM
    The only way to make money on free email is through advertising and reading people's email. Given BlackBerry position on security, I don't think this will happen.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 08:50 AM
    The only way to make money on free email is through advertising and reading people's email. Given BlackBerry position on security, I don't think this will happen.

Posted via CB10
    But they wouldn't need to make money on it directly.
    If it was good enough it would give people a reason to choose BlackBerry, and make them money in the long run.
    If you could choose a secure email provider, and it had all the same functions, who would most people choose, BlackBerry or Google? Again, assuming there was feature parity.
    02-28-13 08:52 AM
    Yes, thats why I remembered to add that iOS does not support Gmail's imap idle protocol, therefore iPhone users are at a much greater disadvantage. As of right now a new Gmail user on the iPhone has to either use the crappy Gmail app (gets push mail but not integrated into the OS in the least), or use IMAP on a 15 minute schedule. Not the best situation.

Again, I am assuming that the z10 supports Google's imap idle protocol?
    02-28-13 09:57 AM
    Other apps (besides email) still have the ability to use Push. The APIs are available to BB10 apps, and that will (presumably) go through the NOC to get pushed to the BB10 devices. BBM will still use push. Email just gets more of a visual these days since it is no longer going through BIS.
    02-28-13 11:35 AM
    Again, I am assuming that the z10 supports Google's imap idle protocol?
    Yes, it does.
    02-28-13 02:25 PM
    It also works fine with IMAP IDLE support (effectively like Push) with other servers, including mine running Dovecot.
    02-28-13 04:11 PM
    I'm looking forward to the stability update!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 06:41 PM