Here is the response I got for a LCBO app status update for BB10
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting helloLCBO about the BB10.

Almost every new device that Blackberry introduces to the marketplace has a different (new) screen resolution and therefore requires the development of a new version of the application. We are currently supporting 13 different resolutions. Since we have launched, Blackberry has introduced a handful of new resolutions that would require the development of another version. We believe you can appreciate the complexity this introduces to our organization as every time we wish to institute a change to the application we have to develop, test and deploy on all of the separate versions. We made a business decision to discontinue support of a native app as the impact on resources did not make business sense.

With that said, we are in the planning stages for the development of a mobile optimized version of our websites (LCBO and Vintages) to provide a similar experience to the native app for not only our Blackberry users but also our Android users.

If we have not fully addressed your question, please reply to this email leaving the subject line intact, or follow this link "http://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/contact" for numbers to call a Contact Centre Agent .

Best Regards,

Carole
    helloLCBO
    02-27-13 04:11 PM
    Brutal. Don't they know about the efforts to standardize BlackBerry screen sizes and ratios?
    02-27-13 07:12 PM
    I think that is a fair response. If they develop the mobile website properly, I think the experience can be pretty good.

I've been impressed with the Kobo Web app and the mobile version of Google Maps on the Z10 browser.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 07:43 PM
  4. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    Good and Bad news. No Native app bad news, If everyone decides its easier to make html5 web based apps, with the Z10's browser! Good news!
    02-27-13 11:36 PM
    BlackBerry 10 has TWO resolutions. Maybe someone needs to tell them?
    02-28-13 12:20 AM
    I'm fine with this as long as they make a good mobile web application. With HTML 5, native apps are becoming increasingly irrelevant anyway.
    02-28-13 06:43 AM
    Well they made one for iOS.
    Local Ontario businesses, government agencies making native apps is a way of showing their support. BB10 is Ontario based and it would show their support, maybe make it a bit "exclusive". Why not? Also, give BB10 users some bragging rights and LCBO is funded by our taxes, so it is worth the investment ))

..but yes WebApps are the way to go. But still it is still not matured yet IMHO.
    02-28-13 04:15 PM
    If you have written code that each resolution requires a different build then you're doing it wrong.
    02-28-13 07:08 PM
    The LCBO must be short on funds. I kid.
    That's a fair reply. The important thing to take away from it is that they seem to be treating all equally. A good mobile site can be a good thing too.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 07:15 PM
    Hey shads, you should send them this link:

Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog

This is all about how they standardize on two resolutions. They should know about this, if that is their main complaint.
    mcmolineux and shads77 like this.
    03-01-13 08:03 AM
    Hey shads, you should send them this link:

Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog

This is all about how they standardize on two resolutions. They should know about this, if that is their main complaint.
    +1.
    03-01-13 08:14 AM
    Luckily all Android devices use the same resolution.

Posted from my Dev Alpha
    dietertong likes this.
    03-01-13 08:16 AM
    I am of the firm belief that with the way BlackBerry has made converting your Android code to native BB10 code this is ridiculous.

If the LCBO, a Provincial (same as State to our US folks) Government owned organization can't spend the time it takes to support a major company it it's province there is a serious issue. I for one an taking this straight to my Member of Provincial Parliament to demand some action here. The LCBO probably wastes more money in each store on coffee and stir sticks for employees than it would cost to code a native app.

Uggh, mini rant, sorry.
    inked18 and shads77 like this.
    03-01-13 12:21 PM
    I just send a note to LCBO with the links and your comments. I also CC'ed Kitchener Waterloo MPP and LCBO Media Communications manager. Not that it matters, I do not think it is about an "app", but I think Ontario should support its local businesses, big OR small.
    03-01-13 04:39 PM
    Someone emailed whatsapp asking about the BB10 app and were told that there were no plans at this time to bring it to BB10. The same day some dude from whatsapp confirmed on twitter that the native app would be coming in March. Moral of the story, don't believe what a random CSR says in an email reply. I'm sure there will be an LCBO app coming.
    03-01-13 05:47 PM
    Hi folks,

I e-mailed the LCBO and sent them the link I posted above. As it turns out, their response was much more positive:

Thank you for contacting helloLCBO about BlackBerry 10 app.

There are plans to develop an app to for the Blackberry 10 Devices. We are in the process of completing an RFS, hoping to issue soon.

Our goal is to launch the new app with Blackberry and Android support.

If we have not fully addressed your question, please reply to this email leaving the subject line intact, or follow this link "http://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/contact" for numbers to call a Contact Center Agent .

Best Regards,

Theodora
    helloLCBO
    I have no doubt I'll get a 'NO' from my frenemies at the SAQ.
    shads77 likes this.
    03-04-13 11:57 AM
    Bombsauce, I've been waitin for it hopefully they go through with it

Posted on my Z10
    03-04-13 05:42 PM