I've downloaded a few Apps, and have deleted them right away when I've realized that they wanted to have access to all my info, I mean I am not against gps, or a cpl of information, but when it comes to pictures, contacts information, my PIN, my device serial number and so on, c'mon!
    Why the heck would I give some dude all my information and later wonder why my information is all over the Internet?
    No thanks!
    Are you guys giving all your info to the Apps ppl?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 01:28 PM
    Nope.

I've been very thankful that many people have commented about this in the "Comments" section on Appworld which has steered me away from some apps.

The Speedo/GPS app that was featured on Crackberry last week was of GREAT interest to me until I saw the comments that it asks for everything short of a blood sample. For a Speedometer.

What the heck is going on with wanting all my info? Am I bugged? Should I frisk AppWorld?

-Chris-
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    02-27-13 01:35 PM
    So darn right! I'm only downloading the Apps that ask for GPS and little stuff, if they ask for more, bye bye App! Wtf***!?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 01:38 PM
    The reason it asks for permission to all those wacky personal things in your phone is USUALLY it needs one tiny bit of that whole tree of information. It generally won't take your personal information or spread it or sell it if you got it from app world. Also, it would be illegal without a disclaimer stating they can take and use your information.

Lastly, do be careful though. I'm definitely not saying otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-27-13 01:39 PM
    Brad thanks for the advice but as you said, I'd rather be careful than just handing my information out to some App ppl.
    Once again : why on earth would they need access to my pictures? Or phone serial number? I'd rather keep this information for myself.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 01:45 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. A photo app wil need access to your files to find photos. A music app will need access to your files to find music etc,etc
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-27-13 01:47 PM
    Der mit aber warum?
    My pictures are my pictures and I decide who can have them, there was one that wanted access to all my details, even to be able to delete my contacts, hello!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 01:55 PM
    I don't give any information out except for some weather apps and map apps asking for GPS location. I've been trying to find a really good solitaire game and have had no such luck. A lot of the solitaire apps are asking for access to my pictures, previous locations, etc. Come on, why the **** would a card game need access to this.
    02-27-13 01:56 PM
    This is a common issue, unfortunately, for any of the phone platforms, and their "apps". Blackberry, Android, etc...
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-27-13 01:58 PM
    OS7 didn't have that and I saw this more and more with the PlayBook. I mean, we should be able to use those apps without it asking for all that information.

BlackBerry should do a bypass on that stuff!
    02-27-13 02:01 PM
    It alot of software is like this these days. Good for the one that ask, I am betting some software just does what it wants without asking. It is no worst than Google.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    02-27-13 02:08 PM
    It alot of software is like this these days. Good for the one that ask, I am betting some software just does what it wants without asking. It is no worst than Google.
    Thing is with BlackBerry I think so it CAN have access to the information it automatically pops the prompt, it's not like the developer actually makes the prompt.
    02-27-13 02:13 PM
    Well I'm only using the Apps that ask for GPS, the rest can wait, I have some valuable information on my phone that is supposed to be known only by me and not by half of the app ppl. Tough luck.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 02:19 PM
    Also, you don't need to delete the app.. just uncheck the boxes you don't want to give access to. Most apps I've ran into continue to work fine, I think one wouldn't work without taking my contact list info.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 02:38 PM
    Thing is with BlackBerry I think so it CAN have access to the information it automatically pops the prompt, it's not like the developer actually makes the prompt.
    A developer can kind of trigger it though. For instance lets say I made a flash light app. It takes one line of code for me to add in "camera" so that when the list of permissions shows up you see that checkbox for the camera. Now I can choose to be idiotic and add in all the permissions just for the heck of it. This translates to the end user getting a popup of every possible resource an app would ever need. Despite that flashlight app not actually needing any of those besides one.
    02-27-13 03:10 PM
    I've downloaded a few Apps, and have deleted them right away when I've realized that they wanted to have access to all my info, I mean I am not against gps, or a cpl of information, but when it comes to pictures, contacts information, my PIN, my device serial number and so on, c'mon!
    Why the heck would I give some dude all my information and later wonder why my information is all over the Internet?
    No thanks!
    Are you guys giving all your info to the Apps ppl?

Posted via CB10
    Those apps you see doing that are mostly android ports. Most android users forego seeing the permissions and reviewing them since you can't really do much without giving the app access to your information .

It's frustrating because a lot of spyware functions in this way and could compromise the device. I guess that's why there is an antivirus application now.
    Even more reason to have developers build native BlackBerry 10 apps
    02-27-13 04:02 PM
    Yeah I have the same issue. The one that pissed me off the most was Shazam. I paid for the full version and used it for quite some time. Then one of the upgrades for it required access to everything or it wouldn't run. I contacted Shazam Tech Support and they basically said to bad so sad.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 04:08 PM
    So darn right! I'm only downloading the Apps that ask for GPS and little stuff, if they ask for more, bye bye App! Wtf***!?

Posted via CB10
    Same here.
    I mean, this is BBW, not the TSA!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 04:20 PM
    I wonder if the work side of BlackBerry Balance will have the same permission issue as the personal side?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 04:23 PM
    Just go into the setting feature>permissions and disable whatever you don't want for certain apps. If it requires to much access and won't let you turn certain permissions off (usually certain Andriod ports) then delete them. That's what I did anyway. Problem solved.
    02-27-13 04:32 PM
    The reason it asks for permission to all those wacky personal things in your phone is USUALLY it needs one tiny bit of that whole tree of information. It generally won't take your personal information or spread it or sell it if you got it from app world. Also, it would be illegal without a disclaimer stating they can take and use your information.

Lastly, do be careful though. I'm definitely not saying otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 05:37 PM
    iOS and android are the exact same way.
    02-27-13 05:39 PM
    Even if it does, those are work approved apps so it wouldn't matter.
    02-27-13 05:40 PM
    Apps don't need lots if permissions to work, the PlayStore has plenty of apps that don't need any.
    It's usually developers who don't understand how permissions work that ask for everything.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 01:25 PM