Hey Everyone,

I picked up a Z10 on Sunday morning and I must say, I really like it. It's super responsive, the apps are slick, camera is great and I'm digging the hub.

The reason I got it was because I am a musician and I am trying to use social media more to promote what I do and this seemed the perfect phone for that (good camera, integrated social media apps, ect).

I am also an amateur dancer and when I train on my own (which is most often the case this time of year) I pop in my ear-buds and dance away with my little curve 9300 in my pocket acting as an mp3 player. It gets a fair amount of abuse but lives in an otterbox case, so flying across the room has never seemed to bother it Due to the expense and size of the z10, I can't possibly have it in my pocket while spinning on my head. I am also a playbook user, so I don't really feel I'm getting a whole lot more from having this phone (though I'm sure we're gonna see some really great things come out once bridge is back to it's normal self and the PB has BB10).

I have been happy with my Curve but its apps and camera are the pits. I want an upgrade to have better access to the web, FB and twitter as well as a camera with flash, but also something that's on the smaller/sturdier side of things. I realize that with my heavy playbook use, I don't really need a shiny top-of-the-line phone (keeping both the curve and z10 is not an option). I was (and still am) really excited about blackberry's new os and phones. I am a proud Canadian and would really like to see them innovate and do better, so I'd like to stick with BB. Will I find what I'm looking for in a Bold? Or will I have to go elsewhere to find the right phone for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have

Greg
    webber35 likes this.
    02-26-13 04:44 PM
    So basically your asking for a small, compact phone, with great social media integration, along with a good overall experience?

Wait for the Q10

It's smaller and more pocket-able.
    It has the best physical qwerty keyboard up to date(imho)
    All the social integration of the Z10, along with all the other BB10 goodies the Z10 offers
    It runs BB10, meaning you wont be lacking apps like on your old Curve!

Hope this helps!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-26-13 04:50 PM
    Nokia 6230 sounds good for you.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 04:53 PM
    Hey Everyone,

I have been happy with my Curve but its apps and camera are the pits. I want an upgrade to have better access to the web, FB and twitter as well as a camera with flash, but also something that's on the smaller/sturdier side of things. I realize that with my heavy playbook use, I don't really need a shiny top-of-the-line phone (keeping both the curve and z10 is not an option). I was (and still am) really excited about blackberry's new os and phones. I am a proud Canadian and would really like to see them innovate and do better, so I'd like to stick with BB. Will I find what I'm looking for in a Bold? Or will I have to go elsewhere to find the right phone for me.

Greg
    Wait for the Q10 like Bobert_123 said and check it out. If it doesn't fit the bill, not sure where you go from there. iPhone has basically one 'model' for hardware form factor, Android obviously has many more choices. Don't know enough about them to make a recommendation.
    02-26-13 04:53 PM
    Nokia 6230 sounds good for you.

Posted via CB10
    YUCK!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-26-13 04:56 PM
    What about a bluetooth set of headphones, put the phone down and dance within 30 feet of the phone, all good
    02-26-13 04:59 PM
    +1^^

CB10 App, Z10
    02-26-13 05:06 PM
    What about a bluetooth set of headphones, put the phone down and dance within 30 feet of the phone, all good

+10, beat me to it!
    02-26-13 05:10 PM
    Z10 has a big touchscreen.
    Bold 9900 is fairly cheap
    Q10 will be better than a 9900 when it releases
    Theres substancial rumors of a more powerful all-touch coming (called aristo), that ight better suit your needs in areas the Z10 falls short
    02-26-13 05:11 PM
    Bluetooth headphones and or a Q10. Although the Q10 IMO is NOT a compact phone. Its BIG.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    02-26-13 05:18 PM
    A dancer?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 05:27 PM
    Yeah, I checked the dimensions on the Q10 and it's not a whole lot smaller than the Z10, so I don't think it's worth me holding out if size is going to be a deal breaker.
    02-26-13 05:36 PM
    Most phones are huuuuge now days, if your coming from a 9300 and want to stay with a similar form factor why don't you go with a BB9790? The browser is much much better than the one on the 9300, its got a 5x camera with auto focus, at the end of the day it would be a nice upgrade.
    02-26-13 06:05 PM
    Yeah, I checked the dimensions on the Q10 and it's not a whole lot smaller than the Z10, so I don't think it's worth me holding out if size is going to be a deal breaker.
    The Q10 has no real edges though, some it's would fit in a pocket great + the back is rounded so it would probably feel better in the hand.
    02-26-13 06:06 PM
    As a musician, you can appreciate the sound of a chorus: BLUETOOTH. Jaybird or whatever the Sony ones are called S9, S10.

Exactly how much time are you spending spinning on your head with the phone in your pocket vs. NOT spinning on your head? Just wondering - thinking the column A vs. column B comparison on phone use might reveal more +++ with a Z10 vs the ---- of "inconvenient for head-spinning" . . . .
    02-26-13 06:23 PM
    Well, at this point I'm so used to it that I don't feel inhibited at all by having my phone as an mp3 player. I'm up on my hands, head, back, arms, everywhere - with phone in pocket. And having the sound right in my ears feels awesome (as opposed to bringing a stereo). Bluetooth is a cool idea, but it would be an extra cost and yet another thing to have around (things are fine, I just don't necessarily want more than I need!) and something else that may get broken, ie inhibit my practicing. I guess I value the convenience of having a small phone that does many things more than a top-of-the-line large one that does it all. Thanks for the tip Cevag, I'll look into that one.
    02-26-13 06:31 PM
    So basically your asking for a small, compact phone, with great social media integration, along with a good overall experience?

Wait for the Q10

It's smaller and more pocket-able.
    It has the best physical qwerty keyboard up to date(imho)
    All the social integration of the Z10, along with all the other BB10 goodies the Z10 offers
    It runs BB10, meaning you wont be lacking apps like on your old Curve!

Hope this helps!
    You should try the JayBird BBX1 headset/earbuds because they are designed specifically for such situations (dancing like a maniac). You can leave the BlackBerry Z10 in your jacket or bag while you dance and wear the BBX1 earbuds from approximately 30 metres away. Keep the BlackBerry Z10 and use the JayBird BBX1.
    02-26-13 06:34 PM
    (dancing like a maniac)
    One of my favorite activities lol
    02-26-13 06:43 PM
    Bluetooth is a cool idea, but it would be an extra cost and yet another thing to have around (things are fine, I just don't necessarily want more than I need!) and something else that may get broken, ie inhibit my practicing. I guess I value the convenience of having a small phone that does many things more than a top-of-the-line large one that does it all. Thanks for the tip Cevag, I'll look into that one.
    I think stereo Bluetooth headsets are a great idea (I'm a big fan of them, and will never go back to wired headphones unless I really have to) to at least try out:

- It would be an extra cost, but a good pair of earbuds will cost around the same anyways... A really good pair of earbuds will cost far more, whereas Bluetooth headsets usually top out at around the $80-$100 range.
    - Bringing around corded earbuds can be an even bigger hassle because of the messy cables, unless you carefully wind them every time you put them away.
    - Breaking is just as big a possibility with earbuds. In fact, I've had more earbuds break on me than bluetooth headsets. Usually it's one side that stops working, which can be caused by a damaged wire (greater chance of that happening with a longer wire of course), bad connection between the wire and earbud, or a faulty 3.5mm jack or plug.

Of course there are a few downsides:

- Obviously wired earbuds don't require charging, but most wireless headsets come with a microUSB charging port, which is the same port as what's on most phones such as the Z10. You could use the same charger for both (I'd recommend using the OEM phone chargers).
    - Sound quality cannot compare to top end headphones unless you consider using apt-X which is only compatible with certain phones.
    - The volume on wireless headsets tends to be lower than wired ones.
    - It's not as simple to set up as putting a plug into a 3.5mm jack, but once you pair it, it's really easy.

These are the ones I'm currently using: Plantronics | BackBeat GO

A pair I'd consider getting if I didn't already have the Plantronics would be this one (as kill_9 already mentioned): Bluetooth Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sports : Android Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com It's pretty expensive though.

The point of all this is that smartphones are just getting bigger and bulkier. You'd be hard pressed to find a smartphone these days that's the size of the Pearl or Curve, although some Android devices come close. Why not go with a phone that has all the features you want without having to worry about putting it in your pocket at all? But hey, once again, I'm just a big fan of wireless earphones. I never wanted to use wired ones ever again after the cord got caught on my arm while I was walking and my poor, shiny 9900 went flying out of my hands and onto the pavement.
    02-26-13 07:14 PM