Pardon my ignorance, but I have an IMAP email account on my Berry, but I have absolutely no idea how to access folders. The "view folder" option just seems to offer my sms and mms folders. Does anyone know how I might get to my imap folders? I use Fastmail if that matters.
    09-30-08 08:17 PM
    You need to be on an enterprise server to view your folders. You cannot do this using BIS.
    09-30-08 09:24 PM
    Ahh, I see. Thank you.
    09-30-08 10:00 PM
    If only I bothered to check that before buyng the BB... Gosh darn. Windows Mobile runs circles around this thing.
    10-22-08 01:26 PM
    I think once you start using the BB your opinion will change. But maybe a BB is not the right device for you, IMO.
    10-23-08 02:55 PM
    I think once you start using the BB your opinion will change. But maybe a BB is not the right device for you, IMO.
    It's not a bad device, but e-mail is decidedly crippled compared to Windows Mobile. Like others, I have multiple folders to organize a large amount of e-mail. Can't really be productive with "Inbox" only.
    10-23-08 03:11 PM
    I understand. You can get a hosted BES and that will give you the functionality your looking for.
    10-23-08 03:31 PM
    Look, this is wrong. Instead of providing a true-to-God e-mail client, RIM gives us a crippled software and promises a workaround at an extra charge.
    10-28-08 12:00 PM
    I agree everyone talks about how the blackberry is "the" email device. Palm, windows mobile and the iphone can all handle imap folders. I really wanted to try out the storm but this is a deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by Jim_1234; 11-08-08 at 08:31 AM.
    11-08-08 08:29 AM
    i feel your pain...

I am in the same boat.. I bought the black berry for my email that my company uses at mailtrust using noteworthy

My contacts and calenders sync beautifully but no email folders...

I now have to disable all my email rules just so I can get email
    11-19-08 08:29 AM
    I just found out how to view folders on my BB curve with BIS using IMAP

Get a differnet email client... woot... i love my blackberry now that it works like its supposed too!

I wonder if this is against black berrys terms of service
    11-19-08 04:29 PM
    I think to go ahead and completely bash the BlackBerry's e-mail platform due to it not filling your particular needs is a bit over-exaggerated. While I do agree that IMAP folder support on BIS would be nice, it's lack doesn't make RIM's platform "decidedly crippled".

BlackBerries aren't for anyone. Same with Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm, Android, or any other platform. That's the beauty about having so many choices.

I hope you figure out an appropriate solution that satisfies your needs whether it's on a BlackBerry or not.
    11-19-08 04:34 PM
    I think to go ahead and completely bash the BlackBerry's e-mail platform due to it not filling your particular needs is a bit over-exaggerated. While I do agree that IMAP folder support on BIS would be nice, it's lack doesn't make RIM's platform "decidedly crippled".

BlackBerries aren't for anyone. Same with Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm, Android, or any other platform. That's the beauty about having so many choices.

I hope you figure out an appropriate solution that satisfies your needs whether it's on a BlackBerry or not.
    I am sorry I came off as a blackberry hater.
    I was really getting frustrated that I couldn't view my email folders and every where I looked it said it couldn't be done.

But now I know it can be done and works great, I am a changed man and I love my blackberry... don't tell my wife she might get jealous.
    11-19-08 05:57 PM

Get a differnet email client... woot... i love my blackberry now that it works like its supposed too!

So what'd you find that worked for you and showed IMAP folders??
    11-19-08 07:21 PM
    First off, I'm not "completely basing" the BB. It has many strong features and the user interface is well thought out. I'm mostly glad I bought it. As you can also see from this thread, "particular needs" happen to fit many people's workstyle and aren't my presonal quirk.

Sorry, but that's too much of religious fervor to my taste.
    11-20-08 01:21 PM
    First off, I'm not "completely basing" the BB. It has many strong features and the user interface is well thought out. I'm mostly glad I bought it. As you can also see from this thread, "particular needs" happen to fit many people's workstyle and aren't my presonal quirk.

Sorry, but that's too much of religious fervor to my taste.
    So let me get this straight...

you state your opinion, and that is perfectly acceptable and everyone should listen to it. i state mine, and suddenly i'm personally attacking those with said opinion. and if you wanna get technical about it, 5 or so people with this "quirk" that have posted in the thread out of the millions of BlackBerry users does not equal a major problem percentage-wise (and before your solid wisdom and responds "we're not the only ones that hate this problem", don't bother. i'm not stupid and know that obviously).

religious ferver? i make a kind statement about hoping that you find something that works well for you and it's religious ferver? and this coming from the person who's user name is buddhasystem? seriously? wow....
    11-20-08 01:36 PM
    I love the GMAIL app, doesn't use up my memory with email messages, and I can organize folders how I want! Plus it's IMAP so perfect sync!
    11-20-08 02:50 PM
    So what'd you find that worked for you and showed IMAP folders??
    LogicMail for BlackBerry – Trac
    gdfathr likes this.
    11-23-08 04:59 PM
    Whoa! LogicMail seems like a nice app. Should take it for a spin.
    11-24-08 09:52 AM

Can you tell me how you set this up? What email client did you get? Thanks.
    11-24-08 04:18 PM
    I would tend to agree. I work for a company that developes apps for the BB, and have always carried a WM device until now (Storm). I just got off the phone with BB support and my issue is that I have 66 emails in my IMAP inbox and the only way to get those to the phone is to forward them one by one back to my email. When I told the guy the problem then would be that every email would then be shown "From" me and not the original sender, he said that is just how it is. There is no way to get older emails onto the deivce prior to the time you created the email account on the device. I find this very dissappointing since the RIM's claim was "The ultimate email device".

Overall, i think the phone is pretty good, but with the lack Email capabilities and the lack of Wi-Fi, its nothing more then a "fad" phone for the time being IMO.

Look, this is wrong. Instead of providing a true-to-God e-mail client, RIM gives us a crippled software and promises a workaround at an extra charge.
    11-27-08 11:07 AM
    I just got off the phone with BB support and my issue is that I have 66 emails in my IMAP inbox and the only way to get those to the phone is to forward them one by one back to my email.
    Over the past 6 years with the company, I've accumulated some 1000 e-mail messages (technical tips, project history, meeting notes, trip reports, a few personal messages etc) classified in some 80 folders. I only keep mail that I feel might be useful. I know a few people with similar usage patterns.

I won't be forwarding the 1000 mails to BB and have them under the same sender, thank you but no.

RIM leaves you dead in the water if you use your mail to the fullest (which the BB is supposed to be all about). What a a shame.
    12-02-08 12:52 PM
    To get old messages to flow to your Blackberry inbox, using your desktop email client, try deleting them to your trash folder, then restoring (undeleting/moving) them from trash back to your inbox. This did the trick for me in gmail using IMAP. Keeps the same sender info and date.
    02-25-09 12:05 PM
    It's not a bad device, but e-mail is decidedly crippled compared to Windows Mobile. Like others, I have multiple folders to organize a large amount of e-mail. Can't really be productive with "Inbox" only.
    IMAP is not new and many end users who are not hooked to a BES server use IMAP, so why doesn't the client host the folders? It obviously cannot be that difficult if Windows Mobile 5 can do it. I find it very sad that I have all this shiny software I don't care about and I cannot file my ^&%@! email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 03:58 AM
    Yes. It does, because the simple fact is, what I want in a phone/PDA most is the ability to access the internet, my SMS messages, and my bloody email. Being able to sort my email from my phone/PDA saves me time and not being able to access filed items hinders my ability to make decisions based on my history with the sender and their current correspondence. I'm not asking for architectural schematics or financial analysis. I JUST WANT ACCESS TO MY EMAIL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 04:04 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD