Is PIN to PIN messaging now "defunct"?
    02-25-13 09:32 PM
    Why would that matter? This is what I don't get about so many detractors complaining about features taken away. Seriously? Maybe I really am just missing something here. Please explain in what scenario PIN to PIN messaging is better than BBM?

Personally, I applaud the paring down of features and options to streamline and clean up the overall experience. One less option to take up screen real estate when I hit the "Share" button. Frankly I'd love to see a few more taken out, or at least the option to customize which share options are shown.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 09:51 PM
    People actually used PIN to PIN?!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 09:54 PM
    Lol. Yah i used to use it unfortunately. :s

Not that I miss it but i did use it on occasion to message business contacts that didn't warrant an email. And it wasn't always appropriate to add them to bbm

anyway. Not the end of the world. As mentioned above, prob nice bb is streamlining things. Those that did use pins can always text/email/bbm.

Then worst part of pins was keeping upto date with devices changing hands so much... I'd often end up pinning the new device owner by accident.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    02-25-13 10:00 PM
    unfortunately no PIN TO PIN it can only receive PINs however there is no option to reply back to it or compose a new PIN. This is my biggest thing I dislike aout the BB os 10 so far.
    ESCON likes this.
    02-25-13 11:29 PM
    We used PIN to PIN a lot. First of all, it used no data so it was free to use anywhere in the world.

You could also set up a special (louder) sound so that you could get someone's attention if they were in a meeting or not looking at their phone without having to call them.

Third, the messages were not saved like a chat.
    ESCON and mset like this.
    02-26-13 07:10 AM
    I hope PIN message will be back. I used it a lot at work. We communicate to our team with PIN message. If one person change the phone to a Z10, it is impossible to reply for the incoming PIN. It is very-very bad. And PIN have email look. It is for business. The BBM is not for business.
    And I don't understand why is it a hard work to put it back? Why is it impossible? In my opinion it is very simple. PIN to PIN over blackberry ID.
    If PIN number is not possible to use, why the Z10 phone have the PIN number?
    I hope is included at the next update!
    Wilson7777 and ESCON like this.
    02-26-13 07:32 AM
    Pin-Pi was very useful for corp IT users, but now its really been overtaken by BBM. If there was a problem with mail, then it was nice to be able to send a pin directly to other IT admins. Like BBM it was a freeby and did not use any data. Now of course it would.
    02-26-13 07:58 AM
    We used PIN to PIN a lot. First of all, it used no data so it was free to use anywhere in the world.

You could also set up a special (louder) sound so that you could get someone's attention if they were in a meeting or not looking at their phone without having to call them.

Third, the messages were not saved like a chat.
    It did use data, very little but it did.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 08:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Pin-Pin data was off plan, like BBM as such it didn't count.
    02-26-13 08:16 AM
    Pin-Pin data was off plan, like BBM as such it didn't count.
    Not for all carriers though, vodafone never had that setup, everything comes out of one data allowance. Every bbm is itemised for me on my online bill.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 08:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    It did use data. It would be like saying i have unlimited calling but when making a call i wasn't using any airtime.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 08:24 AM
    Not for all carriers though, vodafone never had that setup, everything comes out of one data allowance. Every bbm is itemised for me on my online bill.

Is, or should I say was that a BIS plan? Never heard of it on an Enterprise account.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 08:25 AM
    Still not seeing how it has any advantage whatsoever over BBM. The advantages listed so far are either fallacy (No data... ya right) or things that BBM can do just as effectively and in a lot of ways more effectively.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 02:28 PM
    Still not seeing how it has any advantage whatsoever over BBM. The advantages listed so far are either fallacy (No data... ya right) or things that BBM can do just as effectively and in a lot of ways more effectively.
    Posted via CB10
    The main difference was that to communicate via BBM, the other person would have to approve you to get added to your contact list - you can't communicate with them unless you are approved. With PIN messages, you could send a message to someone just based on their PIN without prior approval. It was a good way for the IT department to send messages out to employees, and to send messages to others who aren't in your BBM contact list. I'm guessing the IT department could still send PIN messages via BES/BES10, although people with Z10s would not be able to respond back to IT now.
    Wilson7777 likes this.
    02-26-13 03:24 PM
    So in other words a very obscure, niche application that 98% of users have no use for. Perhaps the realm of third party??

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 09:19 PM
    The main difference was that to communicate via BBM, the other person would have to approve you to get added to your contact list - you can't communicate with them unless you are approved. With PIN messages, you could send a message to someone just based on their PIN without prior approval. It was a good way for the IT department to send messages out to employees, and to send messages to others who aren't in your BBM contact list. I'm guessing the IT department could still send PIN messages via BES/BES10, although people with Z10s would not be able to respond back to IT now.
    Another advantage is the PIN message have a mail format. And if I receive a PIN message that was sent to another 3 person (total 4 persons) and I want to reply only 1 or 2 persons (not all 4 persons) it is possible! In BBM this is a chat and all the 4 persons see my reply.
    And yes. It is possibble to send a PIN to a person who is not in my BBM contact list!!!
    02-27-13 01:08 AM
    Not on a Z10.
    02-27-13 04:03 AM
    I used to use PIN to PIN messages, I used to use them just as emails as they look and seam official. I am still keeping my Bold alongside with my BlackBerry Z10 for the PIN messages and ability to mark all when sending a broadcast message as I have a BlackBerry related website and need to keep my readers up to date.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 04:37 AM
    So in other words a very obscure, niche application that 98% of users have no use for. Perhaps the realm of third party??

Posted via CB10
    Have you a source for the 98% number? Or is it a case of "I don't use it so no one uses it".
    Another feature that was removed.
    I am sure you are also not impacted by not being able to sync PIM data with Outlook or any of the other removed features.

That in no way means that people weren't using them and are very surprised when they get their "new" Zed10 that it is missing features.

BTW - I didn't use PIN to PIN or Outlook sync. But it would have been nice if BlackBerry (or their zealot followers who knew) WOULD have said something. Saved a lot of frustration.
    02-27-13 04:44 AM
    This pin to pin issue is serious. I have been a Blackberry user since the RIM 857 and pin-to-pin messaging is what has distinguished Blackberry from all other smartphones. I generally used BBM for chats and pin-to-pin for more formal type of communications. I hope that BB wakes up because this will most definitely discourage me and many others from upgrading to the Z10.
    ESCON likes this.
    02-27-13 10:12 AM
    This pin to pin issue is serious. I have been a Blackberry user since the RIM 857 and pin-to-pin messaging is what has distinguished Blackberry from all other smartphones. I generally used BBM for chats and pin-to-pin for more formal type of communications. I hope that BB wakes up because this will most definitely discourage me and many others from upgrading to the Z10.
    PIN to PIN is no more and not coming back. Same with BIS.

Long ago, when RIM was very popular, our company used PIN messages. Most of my friends were on BB so we also used PIN messages.

Today, very few of my friends are still on BB so PIN messages have become less important, text messages have replaced what is not email. I remember when there was such thing as Nextel and your 7500 had direct connect to talk directly to people you worked with in the construction industry. Both the construction industry, Nextel and the beloved "CHIRP" are gone now, never to return.

BB10 changes much of what I liked and remembered about BB. I know others do not want to hear this but BB has really, in some ways, joined the other cell phone makers with less setting them apart from the others.
    02-27-13 10:23 AM
    Zed10 for fun bold 9900 for work. Is what I'm doing hopefully the don't discontinue the 9900 of devices that can Pin so we can still use our beloved real blackberry's.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 10:35 AM
    Pin to Pin is gone. This is probably one of the reasons why:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/tec...tml?rel=838332

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 11:14 AM
    its redundant
    02-27-13 11:51 AM
33 12