Mozilla developing their own OS for mobile devices...

Mozilla To Launch Phone Operating System
    02-25-13 09:28 AM
    Unless you get hardware manufacturers throwing serious love and $$ behind it, and carriers backing it with love and marketing $$ too, it'll never gain mainstream traction. Definitely loyal followers who will use it, but it'll be a fringe play for a while, and likely for a long long time to come.

Of course, I could be wrong. I just lost all love for Firefox. Used their browser for years, was a huge fan even, but they've managed to make it worse instead of better over the years. Became such a dog. Had to switch to Chrome, not because I wanted to, but because I had to. Would rather have seen them fix their browser before they got distracted with this.
    Corbu, howarmat, ajst222 and 4 others like this.
    02-25-13 09:36 AM
    I agree on the Firefox bloat factor- doing a side by side resource comparison a few months ago, it was night and day between FF and Chrome. they just seemed to try and cram anything and everything to make the end all IE killer. Remember when we all were crying for Mozilla to create a BB compatible Firefox browser? yeesh!

Oh, and they WILL throw money at it because of the brand recognition. Anything to get out of the Windoze or Apple paradigm. The anti-Win, anti-Apple folks will clamor for it.
    02-25-13 10:13 AM
    also used their browser for years (still using it now) and its become laggy and crashes multiple times a day these past few versions so if the phone is half cared for like the browser has become lately it wont last long. Least now i know WHY the browsers become neglected
    02-25-13 10:37 AM
    same with me...loved firefox browser a couple years ago but it went downhill and Chrome went up, way up! Both Firefox and Ubruntu have something to bring to the table and looks nice but unless they get backing it will truly be a niche thing
    02-25-13 11:20 AM
    What hardware partners do you think they have on board right now? Are OEMs really going to want to build for another OS category that may not even sell?
    02-25-13 01:50 PM
    Yeah I use to love firefox. I still do sorta but I barely use pc. Either 9930 or playbook. I was such an early adopter I got a free t shirt with my firefox download number on it. But this phone I've been wondering about for a month or so and wondering how it would fit. Would be interesting but idk. And ubuntu too. Seems like the way it would thrive would be to cannibalize android or vice versa. Only time will tell. How do other company's get away with gestures, does anyone know? Or am I just thinking blackberry has a patent on gestures?
    02-25-13 01:51 PM
    Mozilla's apps will all be HTML5 apps that you install locally or run from the web. If they are successful, this means that there will be more HTML5 based apps out there to choose from. However I think it will be such a small niche that it won't make a big difference.
    02-25-13 01:58 PM
    Things I'm interested in watching...
    Samsung and Tizen
    Jolla/Sailfish
    Ubuntu
    Mozilla Firefox OS
    02-25-13 02:06 PM
    Things I'm interested in watching...
    Samsung and Tizen
    Jolla/Sailfish
    Ubuntu
    Mozilla Firefox OS
    Funny how there are all these options and everyone was saying that there wasn't even room for both bb10 and wp8.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-25-13 03:49 PM
    Kevin is right. Chances are, it won't be a real competitor if there are no manufacturers or carriers behind it. It might fill a small niche, but who knows.
    02-25-13 03:53 PM
    Announced OEM supporting with handsets are currently Alcatel, LG, ZTE, and Huawei. Sony has just signed on and will produce handsets in 2014. There are 17 carriers across the globe that will carry the phones. Firefox doesn't need to have any significant market share to sustain their current operation and same thing cannot be said for BBRY.
    02-25-13 05:38 PM
    I wont say "too little, too late" for this. As it wasn't proper for people to say against bb either. What I will say is that I hope Mozilla has deep pockets and a lot of friends if they want to dabble in the mobile OS market.
    02-25-13 06:23 PM
    There not even going for the market we are in.What I rate them is there push for webapps.
    02-25-13 06:50 PM
    What hardware partners do you think they have on board right now? Are OEMs really going to want to build for another OS category that may not even sell?
    The hardware manufacturers who have expressed interest to work with Firefox mobile os are Alcatel, Huawei, ZTE and LG.
    The CPU will be Qualcomm Snapdragon. Also there are 18 service providers partnering with Firefox - thats worldwide.
    distributor1 likes this.
    02-25-13 06:51 PM
    The hardware manufacturers who have expressed interest to work with Firefox mobile os are Alcatel, Huawei, ZTE and LG.
    The CPU will be Qualcomm Snapdragon. Also there are 18 service providers partnering with Firefox - thats worldwide.
    Thanks, this is very relevant. Carriers in other parts of the world want a cheaper smartphone adn Alcatel, Huawei and ZTE drive that bus. And you get people like Movistar on board .... It is a relevant niche.
    02-25-13 08:21 PM
    I personally still use Firefox on a daily basis at home on our personal computer. Never had any issues myself. IE was always problematic for me.

Hoping this is a good thing for Firefox as long as somebody decent picks it up.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    02-25-13 08:47 PM
    Lock screen and keyboard look similar to bb10. I think this will be something to eye as well as Jolla, ubuntu, and all those that guy up top said. Crazy ish man.
    02-25-13 08:47 PM
    Thanks, this is very relevant. Carriers in other parts of the world want a cheaper smartphone adn Alcatel, Huawei and ZTE drive that bus. And you get people like Movistar on board .... It is a relevant niche.
    That's correct, and as I understood initially will be targeted South America and some European markets. With Telefonica (Movistar), one of the 18 partenring SPs, having quite a dominant position in South America it actually makes lot of sense.

Another interesting thing is the very strong relations between Telefonica and Alacatel - at least was the case in the past, but I think it is still there.
    The same time Telefonica has presence in China, and really good relations established with Telcos and equipment suppliers (Huawei and ZTE).
    Part of the "equiation" is that Mozilla was (didn't followed the case later) running R&D in China (had a kinda of work-friend whom moved form head of Sun Microsystems R&D in the country to Mozilla), with really strong presence in tech communities.

In general, I also tthink Mozilla is not a competitor for BlackBerry, yet - they are simply targeting different segments, and have different approach as well. But on the "Big Picture", considerng the "equiation" including Telfonica, Alcatel, China (ZTE, Huawei), actually the platform has good potential for taking off well. What I can speculate is, having in conisderation the "sensitive" relations between Google and China, and in case the platform proves to be fine technologically, it could be later China (government has instruments to "direct" local telcos and manufacturers) to start adopting the platform on "national" level - which now is "countles" clones of Android.
    02-25-13 10:25 PM
    Personally never liked Firefox. It felt too bloaty (is that even a word?).
    I've been using Opera ever since it became free. I know I'm a minority, but old habits die hard.
    I'm too used to some of the gestures that are available. Like: right click hold, drag to the left, and release to go back to the previous page, right click hold, drag up then down to refresh the page,
    Hold shift and click on a tab to close it.

Come to think of it, Opera was like the Browser of desktops, as BlackBerry 10 is the new Mobile OS of smartphones.

It had really cool features, and gestures, yet was under appreciated. It had tabbed browsing even before tabbed browsing was cool and before FireFox even came out.

So all of that aside, do I care one bit about Firefox's operating system? Nope.
    Even Samsung says they don't care about it.
    02-25-13 11:00 PM
    Mozilla developing their own OS for mobile devices...

Mozilla To Launch Phone Operating System
    Remember everyone including analysts, media said that Windows was finished about 7 years ago when the free Linux was so popular and taking off..Before that same was said about Novell Networks. MS Windows still dominating consumers and businesses.
    Now they are saying laptops will be obsolete and will take down MS with it due to smartphones..this time it looks real..)))
    02-25-13 11:43 PM
    I still use Firefox when I'm forced to use a PC. But those times are few and far between.

Just did my taxes on my PlayBook haha.
    02-26-13 12:47 AM
    Remember everyone including analysts, media said that Windows was finished about 7 years ago when the free Linux was so popular and taking off..)
    NO. I HATE Windows, and hoped beyond hope that linux could pull off a miracle, but only a total moron would have thought the odds weren't against them, or that Windows would be "finished" anytime soon. I do not recall that being a well-accepted position.
    02-26-13 02:43 AM
    Of course, I could be wrong. I just lost all love for Firefox Blackberry. Used their browser Phones for years, was a huge fan even, but they've managed to make it worse instead of better over the years. Became such a dog. Had to switch to Chrome Android, not because I wanted to, but because I had to.
    ^ I agree
    02-26-13 03:06 AM
    Actually saw a post said that Sony will have their Firefox phone out by 2014, I just wondering is there chances for BlackBerry 10 Os Sony phone, that would be interesting!

Post via BlackBerry z10 Crackberry App
    02-26-13 03:11 AM
32 12