There is only one app that I would like to side load right now and that's Audible, has anybody had any luck with it?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 04:59 AM
    I believe I read that it doesn't work as a side load...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 05:02 AM
    I believe I read that it doesn't work as a side load...
    Really? That's bad news, but I haven't seen that reported. Maybe I missed it. I do know that Amazon has indicated "no plans" to develop an Audible app for BB10.

Audible is on my short list of apps that give me strong misgivings about getting a Z10, so I'm watching this one closely. If someone manages to get a sideloaded version working, that'll be good news indeed.
    02-25-13 10:18 AM
    Really? That's bad news, but I haven't seen that reported. Maybe I missed it. I do know that Amazon has indicated "no plans" to develop an Audible app for BB10.

Audible is on my short list of apps that give me strong misgivings about getting a Z10, so I'm watching this one closely. If someone manages to get a sideloaded version working, that'll be good news indeed.
    Is there any app for android or ios that could play audible format? I don't mind if I have to transfer them from pc as long as I can play them.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 10:34 AM
    There are apparently ways to convert Audible files to mp3, such as this one: How to Convert Audible.Com Audiobooks: 7 steps - wikiHow. Of course, you won't be able to save your place in a book with the Z10 music player unless you keep the player perpetually in an active frame.
    02-25-13 10:37 AM
    There are apparently ways to convert Audible files to mp3, such as this one: How to Convert Audible.Com Audiobooks: 7 steps - wikiHow. Of course, you won't be able to save your place in a book with the Z10 music player unless you keep the player perpetually in an active frame.
    It seems to remember the place with videos, I'll try with music too.

Edit- thanks for the link

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 10:48 AM
    It seems to remember the place with videos, I'll try with music too.

Edit- thanks for the link

Posted via CB10
    Let me know how it works out. And maybe at some point we'll get a definitive answer about sideloading.
    02-25-13 01:51 PM
    02-25-13 02:01 PM
    The one that is reported not working is v. 1.4.5. The one I linked to above is 1.3.6, so there's a chance it could work.
    02-27-13 01:20 PM
    If Kindle is coming, I don't see why Audible wouldn't.
    02-27-13 07:09 PM
    If Kindle is coming, I don't see why Audible wouldn't.
    Audible has a history of dragging it's feet. WP had Kindle quickly but it took months for Audible to show up. The fact that Kindle is "committed" but Audible has "no plans" doesn't inspire confidence.
    02-28-13 04:41 AM
    I don't get these companies sometimes, don't they want new Customers? People are literally begging to give them money and they can't be bothered. If only there was an alternative to Audible.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 04:44 AM
    I don't get these companies sometimes, don't they want new Customers? People are literally begging to give them money and they can't be bothered. If only there was an alternative to Audible.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. The give away the app to make money seeking content. Every single installation, on any platform, is a money machine got them. You'd think they'd jump on it.
    02-28-13 04:50 AM
    *bump*

I take it nobody has tested this on Z10 yet?
    03-05-13 01:31 PM
    The problem seems to be with how certain apps interface with the Android audio player, mainly, they can't. Apps with fully contained players seem to side load without issue, while those that rely on Android to play all crash or freeze. Audible is in this later category.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    03-05-13 10:49 PM
    The problem seems to be with how certain apps interface with the Android audio player, mainly, they can't. Apps with fully contained players seem to side load without issue, while those that rely on Android to play all crash or freeze. Audible is in this later category.
    Thanks for the explanation. That's discouraging, since there's no hint of an Audible app for BB10 in the works. I'll need to experiment with converting their audiobooks to something that I can play on the Z10. Otherwise it's going to be a hard decision...
    03-06-13 10:15 AM
    Thanks for the explanation. That's discouraging, since there's no hint of an Audible app for BB10 in the works. I'll need to experiment with converting their audiobooks to something that I can play on the Z10. Otherwise it's going to be a hard decision...
    Looks like the Kindle app is coming after all so maybe there hope for the Audible app too, if the Z10 sells well there's no way they can ignore it, they made an app for wp8 after all.
    03-06-13 12:20 PM
    Looks like the Kindle app is coming after all so maybe there hope for the Audible app too, if the Z10 sells well there's no way they can ignore it, they made an app for wp8 after all.
    I hope so. So far I haven't had much luck with the various conversion methods. They took quite a while to get a WP7 app out, and then when WP8 came it didn't work and took a couple more months to get that going.
    03-06-13 12:32 PM
    For the heck of it, I decided to pester Audible again with an email. In reply, I got:

The Blackberry model Z10 that you are inquiring about is not supported at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause once again, we are currently aware of the issue and our technical team is working to have a new updated version for the module that you are currently using.
    That's a bit bizarre, but I suppose it could be read to mean they're working on it.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    03-06-13 01:36 PM
    For the heck of it, I decided to pester Audible again with an email. In reply, I got:

That's a bit bizarre, but I suppose it could be read to mean they're working on it.
    Looks like a canned reply.
    03-06-13 02:10 PM

They must be getting a lot of requests for it so they had to come up with a better response.
    03-06-13 02:13 PM
    Can they be exported to a cd and then imported back as mp3s?
    03-06-13 03:27 PM
    Can they be exported to a cd and then imported back as mp3s?
    I believe so, or at least that's how one of the $30 conversion programs seem to work, though it creates a virtual CD-ROM drive to work from. I've used such an app to reencode iTunes DRMed music and that's how it worked. I assume Audible compatible programs are similar. So burning to an actual physical disk should work too. Don't hold me to this though.

While not ideal, also consider getting an iPod nano (or similar) that plays Audible files. I agree it's nice to have an all in one, however between various Symbian Nokias and later BlackBerry's, having an inch sized MP3 player that works with iTunes (and Audible) content makes life easier when it comes to phone choices or at least until an official app gets supported.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 04:39 PM
    I believe so, or at least that's how one of the $30 conversion programs seem to work, though it creates a virtual CD-ROM drive to work from. I've used such an app to reencode iTunes DRMed music and that's how it worked. I assume Audible compatible programs are similar. So burning to an actual physical disk should work too. Don't hold me to this though.

While not ideal, also consider getting an iPod nano (or similar) that plays Audible files. I agree it's nice to have an all in one, however between various Symbian Nokias and later BlackBerry's, having an inch sized MP3 player that works with iTunes (and Audible) content makes life easier when it comes to phone choices or at least until an official app gets supported.

Posted via CB10
    I decided to use my old 9700 for now, the app is still available.
    03-06-13 07:32 PM
    I'll continue to try to do the conversion, but if that fails, and if I get a Z10 as I expect to, I'll continue to use my Android phone to play Audible books.

And I'll continue to pester Audible to make an app for BB10.
    03-07-13 08:16 AM
35 12