How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry Z10 (WifI Sharing)

Blackberry Z10

Windows or Mac

The following sections outline different methods of transferring files to and from the BlackBerry Z10.

Wi-Fi Sharing

Complete the following steps to share files over a Wi-Fi connection:

From the BlackBerry Z10 home screen, select the settings icon.

Select Storage and Sharing.

Toggle Wi-Fi Sharing to ON.

Tap Properties to verify network identification information. (Z10 name, password etc)

From a Windows or Mac based computer on the same network as the BlackBerry Z10, navigate to the IP
    address of the BlackBerry Z10 which can be found under Settings > About > Network.

On a Windows computer, open the Run dialog box
    (shortcut of Windows Key + R) and type file:\\127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1
    should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry Z10)

On a Mac computer, select Go > Connect to Server... and type smb://127.1.1.1
    (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry Z10)
    02-18-13 06:16 PM
    Sorry I missed this for so long! Solid tips! Moved to our Tips, How To, FAQ sub forum.
    05-24-14 09:32 AM
    Thank you so much! It works perfect for me! I was searching for this function for a while.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 02:41 AM
    Yeah thanks. Wifi is fun...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-19-14 09:49 PM
    Also works on linux, just use the same method as Mac.

Posted on my Q10.
    AWB70 likes this.
    10-20-14 05:38 AM
    Also works from android phones with the ghost commander app and ipads with file explorer app

A note for Windows 8 machines, browsing to the ip address may not work if your windows machine is on a "homegroup" simply leaving the homegroup (found in control panel network area) will make the ip accessible.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:10 AM
    Cool tip thank you

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 11:59 PM
    I follow exactly the steps mentioned. It doesn't work. My phone is Z3. I bet there's something wrong with the software installed. It supposes that the tips also works with BlackBerry Z3 since this tips also found in BlackBerry Z3 manual book I have. Please help guys.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:01 PM
    Its not working in Z3. There s no storage and sharing option in settings. There is a storage and access option and a media sharing option.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 07:50 AM
    Its not working in Z3. There s no storage and sharing option in settings. There is a storage and access option and a media sharing option.

Posted via CB10
    I found this tips exactly in BlackBerry Z3 Manual book. Yes, it's storage and access option. I tried and it didn't work which it supposed to. If it's in manual book, it suppose to work. The OS needs improvement. It makes me think what exactly blackberry doing.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 10:51 AM
    I found this tips exactly in BlackBerry Z3 Manual book. Yes, it's storage and access option. I tried and it didn't work which it supposed to. If it's in manual book, it suppose to work. The OS needs improvement. It makes me think what exactly blackberry doing.

Posted via CB10
    Its working for me now. Just a small change in the original post. Try \\127.1.1.1\ instead of just using \\127.1.1.1

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 12:41 AM
    It still doesn't work. I found IPv4 but it's mobile network. Isn't that cellular network?
    I keep trying and won't work.
    Please help. Could you also give screenshot which IP I should note?

Z3STJ100-1/10.2.1.3412

Btw, why I can't post a screenshot in this thread ?
    I tried to post screenshot, and it says "you don't have permission to do this action".

Other things, it supposes that the USB cable is plug and play. So what it says in the manual book. But yes, it doesn't work either.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 08:56 AM
    It still doesn't work. I found IPv4 but it's mobile network. Isn't that cellular network?
    I keep trying and won't work.
    Please help. Could you also give screenshot which IP I should note?

Z3STJ100-1/10.2.1.3412

Btw, why I can't post a screenshot in this thread ?
    I tried to post screenshot, and it says "you don't have permission to do this action".

Other things, it supposes that the USB cable is plug and play. So what it says in the manual book. But yes, it doesn't work either.

Posted via CB10
    This media sharing works only when your mobile and the PC/lap is connected to the same wifi network.
    Connect to the wifi network and then enable Access using wifi in Storage and Access. Then go to settings > about and select Network in Category. Your IP address will be under IPv4 and ignore the number after /.
    And I can't post a screen shot either. Same prob.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 10:12 PM
    Thanks for this!
    12-26-14 01:53 PM