When you change your device on BlackBerry 10, I know that your contacts are moved to the new device since we now use blackberry id. But are your contacts also notified that your PIN has changed? Or do you need to send a broadcast message?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 04:13 AM
    as far as im aware because its now linked to our blackberry id it just automatically changes/updates on their end also.
    02-18-13 04:39 AM
    Thanks. Can anyone with more that one BlackBerry test this please? First test will be between bb10 devices and the other test will be between bb10 and legacy devices. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:04 AM
    I changed my legacy OS device (from 8520 to 9810) and nobody except a few noticed the change. They were checking something on my profile and somehow remembered my pin changed. It's seamless. Even from a legacy OS to the new one, there's seamless change/update.
    02-18-13 05:10 AM
    I changed from BlackBerry 9900 to Z10 and only one person notice because he know my previous pin

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:22 AM
    The other thing that happens when you migrate is that BBM changes your status to "XXXXXXXX has upgraded BlackBerry 10"

I didn't realize it until my contacts started asking me how the phone was.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:00 AM
    I find it hit and miss. When I made the switch from 9900 to Z10, many people messaged me soon after and asked about the new device (because of my status message). Yet, for most of the day my wife's messages to me were going undelivered because her BBM didn't have my new PIN. It was only after I sent her a message was I prompted to re-invite her to my contact list. Perhaps there was an issue because she likely had an old chat window open from the previous day?? I dunno.

But I figure if someone tries to BBM me and it doesn't get through, they'll contact me another way and we'll sort out how to update the contact list.
    Protocol 2001 likes this.
    02-18-13 10:23 AM
    I switched from an 8830 (yes, super old) to the Z10. It happened seamlessly with no changes needed for either myself nor other people. BBMs still kept going through as happily as ever.
    02-18-13 01:42 PM
    Just to echo the above, my bro shifted to the Z10 and his BBM status mentioned it. Had it not been for that, I would have never known since I honestly didn't remember his old PIN. It was seamless from my end at least...
    02-18-13 02:03 PM
    as far as im aware because its now linked to our blackberry id it just automatically changes/updates on their end also.
    It's actually done this for at least a couple years, since BBM 5.0 iirc, so long before BBID was associated.
    02-18-13 03:50 PM
    I find it hit and miss. When I made the switch from 9900 to Z10, many people messaged me soon after and asked about the new device (because of my status message). Yet, for most of the day my wife's messages to me were going undelivered because her BBM didn't have my new PIN. It was only after I sent her a message was I prompted to re-invite her to my contact list. Perhaps there was an issue because she likely had an old chat window open from the previous day?? I dunno.

But I figure if someone tries to BBM me and it doesn't get through, they'll contact me another way and we'll sort out how to update the contact list.
    Usually the issue with a particular BBM contact not updating after a device switch is because one of the parties manually input the other's PIN into their contact, instead from the BBM contact selecting to link to a regular contact. Hopefully you understand what I mean.
    Protocol 2001 likes this.
    02-18-13 03:53 PM
    Yes it does as it gave them this "I have made the switch to Blackberry 10" personal message in the status updates.
    02-19-13 11:50 AM
    Yes it does as it gave them this "I have made the switch to Blackberry 10" personal message in the status updates.
    I think the OP really was asking if your BBM contacts needed to be notified so they could update your PIN on their end.
    The answer is no, BBM should update everything on both ends all by itself. The fact that your contacts can see that status update message is proof that everything successfully switched over automatically.

Sorry, splitting hairs a bit. Just clarifying for anyone else confused that finds this thread.
    02-19-13 03:26 PM
    The people who noticed pin changes are creeeeeeepppppyyyyyy

Are BBM contacts notified of device changes?-creep.jpg
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-20-13 02:43 AM
    Is there a way to turn this off?
    02-22-13 03:32 PM
    Thanks. Can anyone with more that one BlackBerry test this please? First test will be between bb10 devices and the other test will be between bb10 and legacy devices. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    You don't need to test this. It's very simple but people make it very confusing. If you swap to a new blackberry your new pin will reflect on the other users lists. The only reason you would ever notify of a pin change is for the people who actually save the pin in the contacts phonebook. That being said they can make the update manually.

For Bb10 this is no longer needed as there is a different linking methods

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 05:13 PM
    I was asking someone to test this because There was some confusion on this thread able if it works or not. I guess it does so thatched good news.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 04:23 AM
    Is there a way to turn this off?
    Unfortunately, I don't think so. During initial device setup there was no mention of it - unless it was buried somewhere in the TOS. There were no options to select or anything though, just, sign-in, agree to terms, message is broadcast.
    02-23-13 10:28 AM
    What i have noticed during my trasition from 9900 to Z10 was that the BBM contacts will transfer seemlessly and the contacts does not get to know about the change (unless somebody knew your previous pin and notices the change in pin). however, any groups of which you were a member, will not get transferred and you will have to request a re-invite.
    02-23-13 01:46 PM

Same thing happened to me. When I switched from 9900 to Z10, it put up a status and all went well. Recently, I tried to device switch from 9900 to a Z10 and that's when some contacts wouldn't work. There's no re-invite either. So the new Z10 is simply stuck. We went back to 9900 because my friend didn't like the Z10.

Yesterday, he moved again from the 9900 to the Q10 and so many issues. Some bbm contacts just weren't there. He added me later but there was no seamless switch that used to happen before.
    05-16-13 03:49 AM