Hi All,

I haven't posted much, but now I'm a proud new owner of a z10 and Crackberry is an amazing forum! First off, this phone is amazing. I am partial to blackberry, but I don't have my blinders up. I see what's out there. The z10 keyboard, fast bb10 os, expandable memory, screen share, ease of use (after a few minutes), etc, etc. I'm enjoying making many iphone5 users jealous!!

Anyway back to the story, setting up the phone was super easy. My work doesn't have BES10 yet, so they allowed me to run active sync. No problems setting things up there. Then I tried to set up my gmail, as I use this for my personal contacts, email and calender.

(Sidenote - BB kinda forced me into gmail when they came out with the playbook because it lacked a decent way to add contacts. Mine were all in my enterprise account, but turned out to be the best thing for me)

For any new users, don't go into advanced => gmail setup, that's just headaches!! Been there done that several times! Just add the account with the first EMAIL CALENDAR and CONTACTS option, it's a simple 2 step (email and password) setup. It should successfully add your gmail email, contacts and calender as separate entries. This is where you need to be patient (I was not), it may take a while to sync everything. I've found that rebooting the device (from another thread) will help trigger a calendar sync, but still give it time. I was impatient with my new toy

So once your calendar is finally sync'd, this is where my issue is. I can not add or edit my gmail calendar! This is kinda ridiculous seeing as it works on the Playbook. Not to mention that BB kinda pushed me into gmail in the first place with the playbook. Also, I do not have a paid gmail account, if that makes a difference. Please reply if you have a solution, or if someone notices when this is patched. I'm currently using the browser to sign in to gmail calender to make entries, or using another device.

Anyway, this is my only issue with the z10. Obviously apps are weak, but they will come and I'm not much of an app guy anyway. The native functionality does everything I need. Battery life doesn't seem to bad, lasted almost 2 days when I actually gave it a break, but I can crush the battery in less than a day if I keep playing with it!!

Cheers!
    02-17-13 08:33 AM
    You're in for some fun and games with Google Calendar. I know this, 'cos I'm still having fun trying to set up my wife's Z10 myself. At the moment I don't believe you can get 2 way sync from phone to google and vice versa using Google Calendar and the BB Z10 Calendar app.
    I hope it will be resolved in the near future. A short term work around is to use activesync and a Hotmail Calendar instead.

Things will improve.... this phone is hot off the press and I don't know of much new tech that doesn't fall flat on its face, in some areas, on first outing. I also hope that the OS10 will be ported to the Playbook soon too....mainly because I bought one a few days ago.
    02-17-13 08:54 AM
    I used the advanced option active sync to sync both my gmail calendar as well as my wife to both our Z10's and our Playbooks. Both work flawlessly in each direction. I may need to change this to CalDev in July but hope by then other options will be available.
    02-17-13 09:08 AM
    I used the advanced option active sync to sync both my gmail calendar as well as my wife to both our Z10's and our Playbooks. Both work flawlessly in each direction. I may need to change this to CalDev in July but hope by then other options will be available.
    That's very strange. Caldav worked from google to phone but in the calendar app on the phone the google calendar was missing as a 'drop down' option to add an event? Maybe, I missed something? Activesync made error 403 and didn't work. Perhaps I need to go back and try again?
    02-17-13 09:21 AM
    Still says - "account isn't available. Access should be available soon. [error code 403]"
    Does that mean I should leave it and wait or delete the account and try again later or that fixes need to be written for the phone first or what....I dunno... perplexed and frustrated by this.
    02-17-13 09:28 AM
    I just discovered the following for a Gmail calendar (of the Google Apps variety) configured via CalDAV: if this account is set as my Default calendar (under device Settings/Accounts) and I create an appointment using Voice Control, the entry is getting added to my calendar just fine -- on both the device and in the cloud! Unfortunately I'm still unable to edit or delete this entry on the device once added.

So using CalDAV it's definitely possible to get sync from device --> Google. So the question is still why won't this account show up on the list of available calendars when manually creating a new entry?!
    02-17-13 10:12 AM
    Am facing the same issue. Can't add entries to the Gmail calendar. Doesn't show up when you go to add an entry. I was thinking that I may have set it up incorrectly. But I guess we just have to wait for it to be resolved?
    02-17-13 10:21 AM
    Am facing the same issue. Can't add entries to the Gmail calendar. Doesn't show up when you go to add an entry. I was thinking that I may have set it up incorrectly. But I guess we just have to wait for it to be resolved?
    I think so. It's a bloomin' shame and has taken the edge off purchasing what I thought was bleedin' edge tech. Hopefully it will be resolved within days and won't drag on into weeks. I bought mine on impulse for my lucky missus.... cost a bomb, but sim free and looks just so elegant. Lots to love about the phone but there are FAR too many gripes that I have now read about. Come on BB get an update rolling!!
    02-17-13 10:28 AM
    I just discovered the following for a Gmail calendar (of the Google Apps variety) configured via CalDAV: if this account is set as my Default calendar (under device Settings/Accounts) and I create an appointment using Voice Control, the entry is getting added to my calendar just fine -- on both the device and in the cloud! Unfortunately I'm still unable to edit or delete this entry on the device once added.

So using CalDAV it's definitely possible to get sync from device --> Google. So the question is still why won't this account show up on the list of available calendars when manually creating a new entry?!
    I was having the same problem on my wifes device.. after about 48 hours of just leaving it connected to calDAV, not trying to change any settigns or add/remove.. it eventually downloaded the required protocols and the option to add events to the gmail calendar showed up.. then I just had to go into the accounts menu and set gmail as default. Now it's working perfectly.. syncs down new entry's from the web every 15 minutes, syncs up new entry's from the device to the web instantly, deletes, changes.. all no problem!

Just add the calendar via calDAV, an then literally STOP playing with it!!! It'll work when it's ready! lol

Still says - "account isn't available. Access should be available soon. [error code 403]"
    Does that mean I should leave it and wait or delete the account and try again later or that fixes need to be written for the phone first or what....I dunno... perplexed and frustrated by this.
    You get this error if you are tying to add it via active sync.. you will continue to get this error forever.. active sync is no longer available.. follow the instructions to add it via calDAV, and then wait at least 48 hours.
    parabola, robkd and Natedogg14 like this.
    02-17-13 10:34 AM
    Just add the calendar via calDAV, an then literally STOP playing with it!!! It'll work when it's ready! lol
    I admit I've been pretty impatient and keep trying different things. Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it alone for a while; haha!
    02-17-13 10:43 AM
    I was having the same problem on my wifes device.. after about 48 hours of just leaving it connected to calDAV, not trying to change any settigns or add/remove.. it eventually downloaded the required protocols and the option to add events to the gmail calendar showed up.. then I just had to go into the accounts menu and set gmail as default. Now it's working perfectly.. syncs down new entry's from the web every 15 minutes, syncs up new entry's from the device to the web instantly, deletes, changes.. all no problem!

You get this error if you are tying to add it via active sync.. you will continue to get this error forever.. active sync is no longer available.. follow the instructions to add it via calDAV, and then wait at least 48 hours.
    Oh man.... you're a life saver.... now GIDDY with excitement. My wife says I should stop playing with it too!!

Ok ... report back in a day or 2..

And thank you sooo much!

Fingers,toes everything, all crossed!
    Last edited by technofan; 02-17-13 at 11:10 AM.
    02-17-13 10:55 AM
    I understand all your frustrations as they are mine as well. I set up individual Google calendar accounts for myself, wife, and two "kids". We can all see each other's Google calendars and edit/post to them. Setting up on Playbook was a bit tricky at first because we had to do some working around initially, but all is good. However, I am having troubles with setting things up on my Z10. Really I think the finger of blame should be pointed at Google as it seems they are not playing nice, despite their "do no evil" philosophy. While I was using my Tour and Torch, I simply accessed the accounts via my browser. It's not the easiest thing to do, but until everyone decides to play nicely in the sandbox, that may be the workaround for me.
    02-17-13 11:40 AM
    I just can't get it to connect to caldav account.
    I've tried all, can someone please write step by step the correct settings.

Description
    Username
    Email
    Password
    Server

It gives me errors every time

Thnx

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 02:52 PM

Description
    Username
    Email
    Password
    Server

Thnx

Posted via CB10
    I had it connected for the past week, and deleted it today and tried to add again, and is not working for me either.
    02-17-13 03:04 PM
    I've got my gmail calendar set up as calDAV and it syncs both way. Editing on the X10 is fine. However, I have no idea right now how I got it to work...lol So at least we know it is possible
    02-17-13 03:31 PM
    I added my Gmail account via add account wizard and choose to sync email, contact and calendar. It didn't show as the default calendar option; however, when adding a new calendar entry, there is the choice in Z10 for adding to which calendar (I have multiple accounts setup). The calendar entry shows up correctly on my gmail
    02-17-13 03:56 PM

Description anything you want.. most just use Gmail
    Username youraccountATgmailDOTcom
    Email youraccountATgmailDOTcom
    Password yourgmailpassword
    Server https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/...lDOTcom/events <----- that's the proper address.. but it seems you can also just use wwwDOTgoogleDOTcom and it works..

Thnx

Posted via CB10
    I had it connected for the past week, and deleted it today and tried to add again, and is not working for me either.
    There is a known issue that google only accepts one try per 24 hours period.. that's why some of you can't get it connected, and why if you've removed it you can't add it back in.. you need to put the device down, and not try to connect for AT LEAST 24 hours, and try with the settings above and it should work perfectly. Once that's done, and it's been added.. it should sync entry's down within a few minutes, but it likely won't allow you to add new entry's... AGAIN DON'T TOUCH IT!! Don't delete the calender, don't try and edit the settings.. walk away and leave it alone.. in 24 to 48 hours you will see the option to select the gmail calendar when adding a new appointment.. you can then go to the accounts page and set it as the default.
    02-17-13 06:01 PM
    There is a known issue that google only accepts one try per 24 hours period.. that's why some of you can't get it connected, and why if you've removed it you can't add it back in.. you need to put the device down, and not try to connect for AT LEAST 24 hours, and try with the settings above and it should work perfectly. Once that's done, and it's been added.. it should sync entry's down within a few minutes, but it likely won't allow you to add new entry's... AGAIN DON'T TOUCH IT!! Don't delete the calender, don't try and edit the settings.. walk away and leave it alone.. in 24 to 48 hours you will see the option to select the gmail calendar when adding a new appointment.. you can then go to the accounts page and set it as the default.
    Thanks.
    Will try what you suggested, after 24 hours. And post the results here after around 48 hours
    02-17-13 07:45 PM

Description
    Username
    Email
    Password
    Server

Thnx

Posted via CB10
    Please let us know if you can ge it to work, as suggested by just_luc
    02-17-13 07:47 PM
    I will, have to wait two days

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:11 AM
    I'm now waiting to see if the 2 way sync becomes available for sending calendar events from the phone to google calendar in the cloud. Fingers crossed. I think this whole thing should be made a STICKY. Preferably a new seperate STICKY post should be created with the solution as posted by just_luc.

Any Mods around to do this please?
    02-18-13 09:17 AM
    I added my gmail accounts by activesync in the advanced settings. I believe Google has given activesync a reprieve until July. I just made sure that the username was the same as the email address and made the server address m.google.com.
    This worked for me and may be another option..
    02-18-13 09:20 AM
    I added my gmail accounts by activesync in the advanced settings. I believe Google has given activesync a reprieve until July. I just made sure that the username was the same as the email address and made the server address m.google.com.
    This worked for me and may be another option..
    Ok, I'm glad that worked for you... but it seems that caldav is meant to be the long term solution, so any STICKY post ought to reflect what will fix things for good.
    02-18-13 09:38 AM
    Hello all,

I'm learning that I am pretty tech illiterate. This calendar issue is killing me. Here is what sort of worked for me and my wife on our Z10's.

I created a gmail account.
    Added the gmail account to z10 and chose the 'sync calendar' option.
    Used Caldav
    Followed the advice found here and waited 48 hours.
    One of my google calendars sync'ed.

Issue - In google calendar, I have 7 different color coded entries (work shifts, wife, kids, volunteer, etc) on my calendar. How do I get them ALL to sync? Right now only one of my (work shifts) is syncing. On the z10, I only have the "Home" local calendar option in the pull down menu when I add an event.

Help?
    I agree with most replies here in that I really like the phone and its features. No phone is perfect. I will like it a whole lot more when this issue if fixed.

Thanks for all replies!
    02-18-13 11:37 AM
    Yes, you've duplicated what I've done and read. As far as I know the system will only support one calendar, I believe it is the same for the playbook also but not sure. I think there is an app that will support multiple calendars though.

I think we're all the mercy of the next BB10 os update to resolve the calendar edit/add functionality...
    02-18-13 11:58 AM
86 123 ...