Hello,

I have tried on Mac OS and windows 7 (using vmware). With mac OS X I click on backup it starts and after a while it says communication failure. On windows the option to backup is not selectable.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    seanpriest likes this.
    02-16-13 12:50 AM
    I have the same problem, haven't been able to back up since the one time it worked right after bringing it home. Same issue on both my phone and the wifes, on both the desktop and laptop computers. It says the is no data to be backed up, and fails shorty after starting.
    seanpriest likes this.
    02-16-13 02:52 AM
    I've never liked Desktop manager. I have found it takes ages to be ready to sync my 9900 from when I plug the device in. It's disappointing to hear about problems with Link.
    02-16-13 03:35 AM
    Same problem here. At least with the old OS I believe BlackBerry Protect used to wireless backup your contacts and messages but now with BB10 I think it just lets you find and wipe your device? I might be wrong but that is what appears to be the case.

I love my Z10 but not being ab;e to back it up is going to be a definite ball-ache. I never had an issue with Desktop Manager (even though I know of plenty of people who did). Hopefully there will be updates for this still new software.

On a side note, the wireless sync feature works an absolute charm and I have managed to sync my pictures and videos without so much as even having to use a USB lead.
    02-16-13 05:36 AM
    Mine was working perfectly until yesterday, probably a combination of things broke the drivers for Link as there were a bunch of windows updates this week, as well as reinstalling DDPB. Anyway I was getting connection error when I tried to backup, I tried the repair option during reinstall of Link to fix it and I got the following error

BlackBerry Link won't backup my z10-link-install-error-17feb2013.jpg

So my attempted solution was to do a complete uninstall of BlackBerry Link including removing user settings. Then I reinstalled and the backup started and ran for about 30 minutes before failing again.
    02-17-13 02:19 AM
    I have been unable to back up but sync works fine. Called technology support. Sent logs. It is a "known issue" and they are on it. There seemed to be one app that was behind a permissions error but not clear if it was a core app or add-on. Ah well...the pains of early adopters

The loss of the full BB Protect (especially given the Link issue) and Bridge functioning is a real bummer. Patience, Grasshopper...
    seanpriest likes this.
    02-17-13 06:36 AM
    Anybody found a cure for this one yet? Installed the newest version of Link and just got be OS update and its still not working.
    02-20-13 08:33 AM
    Try deleting world of goo if you have it installed. Worked for me.
    02-20-13 08:34 AM
    I don't have world of goo. I read google talk may have been the issue, I've read a corrupt transfer from my old device..... I'm going to delete all my apps and see if it works then. What a pain.
    02-20-13 09:30 AM
    Deleted all my apps (Except CB) and my device backed up properly.
    02-20-13 09:49 AM
    Yeah I had to delete all of mine until I found that is was world of goo causing the problems. Last app I deleted grrrr. I've now gotten into the habit of backing up after every app install to avoid going through this again.
    02-20-13 09:49 AM
    Its weird on my windows vista laptop i can not back up but on my sisters windows 7 i can. I dont think its a app issue
    02-25-13 12:52 PM
    yup so i can restore and backup my z10 on my sisters windows 7 laptop but i can do neither on my windows vista computer. Both computers have Blackberry desktop on them so that is not the issue. Any ideas?
    02-25-13 01:21 PM
    Here is what I did to resolve BB Link issues on my W8/64 machine:

1. Find a "BlackBerry Device" driver that is "not working properly" (yellow marked) in Windows 8 Device Manager and "uninstall" it.
    2. Keep the Device Manager open. When you connect your Z10, the "BlackBerry Device" driver should install correctly.
    3. BB Link will now work properly (I can backup/restore device data now).
    Fubaz likes this.
    02-28-13 01:53 AM
    BB LINK BACKUP FIX!!!!

------

Ok, guys i've been at this for a week none stop.

I got it to work - but I used my Mac to do so.

Here's what you do:

1) plug your phone into your mac with all networks on... Start BB Link.

2) Go to settings and in storage toggle the USB Mass Drive option to 'on'.

3) Go to Settings and Blackberry Protect and turn that off.

4) Now turn off all of your networks. Cell, wireless and bluetooth

5) Turn off the internet to your computer. Yup, this is the problem... your computer is patching into your BB ID but your phone is not so they're not communicating - once both are 'mute' they communicate just fine to get a backup!

6) Turn your phone off. NOT restart - OFF. Wait 3 minutes.

7) Turn phone back on.

8) BB Link will connect to phone. Try to backup. It may fail once or twice - but by the third time it should work!

9) Once you get the backup done - security wipe and start over!

10) Restore from backup on your Mac!
    aming63 likes this.
    03-02-13 10:09 PM
    [QUOTE=digimate;8061307]BB LINK BACKUP FIX!!!!

------

Ok, guys i've been at this for a week none stop.

I got it to work - but I used my Mac to do so.

Here's what you do:

1) plug your phone into your mac with all networks on... Start BB Link.

2) Go to settings and in storage toggle the USB Mass Drive option to 'on'.

3) Go to Settings and Blackberry Protect and turn that off.

4) Now turn off all of your networks. Cell, wireless and bluetooth

5) Turn off the internet t

Good on ya for figuring this out but this is ridiculous that we should have to go through this Rube Goldberg workaround for somthing that should be working right out of the box.

Rim / BlackBerry failed on this!

Posted via CB10
    digimate likes this.
    03-03-13 12:05 AM
    Oh trust me, i've been cursing the BB gods all night and day... turns out my backup which is 1.3GB in size - and should cover everything i needed backed up - well...let's just say BB Link on both pc and mac will refuse to install the complete backup. It'll do about 700MB and then restart your phone... so partial backup re-installed.

BB LINK IS COMPLETE GARBAGE. SERIOUSLY. I'VE OWNED BBs SINCE 2004 AND THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Best part? Well after upgrading OS, re-setting up my phone and transferring over some info - turns out I can't back-up... again...

So disappointed BB. We don't deserve this. And unfortunately, when these problems hit the 350 million potential users in the US - I now honestly believe they don't stand a chance... US users and media will tear the company apart publicly.

Oh, and never mind the looks my wife - who uses an iPhone - gives me for the days and hours i spend in trying to back-up and set-up a phone that I just spent $500 to purchase... i mean really, it's embarrassing. I buy a blackberry to get 'the job done' not to 'give me a job'...
    Last edited by digimate; 03-03-13 at 09:41 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    03-03-13 09:29 PM
    Personally I am very leery in general of USB-based syncing tools because nowadays most people have a giant tangled mess of every sort of junk trying to take over the USB ports on their computer and messing up operations with everything else. Proprietary disk software, proprietary printer software, proprietary scanner software, proprietary camera software, proprietary keyboard/mouse software, digital music software like that virus iTunes, bla bla bla...

These things typically all want to "monitor" all the USB ports, and then jump-in and start taking-over what is going on whenever you plug something in there. After you have a few of those on there (or HAD... but removed them sometime in the past) it gets to the point where nothing works right.

Doesn't BB Link have a WiFi or Bluetooth option? I've heard people rave about the WiFi part - turn on Link via a computer on the same WiFi network the Z10 is connected to, automatically finds and connects to the Z10 automagically and syncs great.
    03-04-13 06:02 AM
    I'm sure BB will sort this out quickly with an update. In LINK I couldn't copy pictures to my phone, now every time I connect my Z 10 to my computer it starts coping all my pictures to my phone.
    03-04-13 06:12 AM
    IMPORTANT!!!!

I don't know if this will solve everyones problems, but I found a thread in the Blackberry Forums in which a person deleted the 'PC Recipe Box' App and after that the backup ran smoothly. Just did it myself and it worked! So, if you have that app, just delete it and proceed to backup. Might be another app preventing you from backing up, but that one for sure is a problem.

Also in the same thread, the people who were pushed the new software had no futher back up issues. So hopefully our headaches will soon be over.

Back up did not complete :-( - Page 3 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Good luck!
    03-04-13 09:09 AM
    Try to remove the micro SD card if you have one. I just read on one thread about this and I'm backing up my files as of this moment
    03-04-13 11:36 AM
    Here is what I did to resolve BB Link issues on my W8/64 machine:

1. Find a "BlackBerry Device" driver that is "not working properly" (yellow marked) in Windows 8 Device Manager and "uninstall" it.
    2. Keep the Device Manager open. When you connect your Z10, the "BlackBerry Device" driver should install correctly.
    3. BB Link will now work properly (I can backup/restore device data now).
    This helped me with my issue with W8/64
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-09-13 01:20 PM
    It's PC Recipe Box
    03-11-13 07:37 PM
    I have to say that I was getting pretty frustrated as well, I also deleted PC Recipe Box and sure enough, my Z10 is backing up just fine with Links
    simonfa and simonfa like this.
    03-11-13 10:20 PM
    Sounds like it's time for Blackberry to talk to the PC Recipe Box people and see what the heck they are doing there with that app.
    03-12-13 12:39 AM
48 12