I found a guy at the bar last night that had no idea how to make a phone call or get into text messages on his brand new Z10. He happens to be the 2nd person I met who struggled with the phone and that got me thinking: is BB10 too complicated to use in that matter? I mean I had no troubles figuring out on how to do day-to-day tasks myself (I'm 23 and pretty much up-to-date with tech stuff) but what's interesting is that it seems like BlackBerry gambled a bit with the OS introducing slightly new way of using the system - comparing to what Apple introduced with the very first iPhone and what Google for instance followed accordingly. Do you guys think this can be a significant problem on BB10 devices potential success? Or could that be perhaps a strength. Has anyone had similar experience?
    02-14-13 02:43 AM
    Thats the cost for not having a home button I guess... I was able to give my dad an ipad mini as a gift and it didnt take very long til he learned how to use it... On the other hand, im not so sure that he will be able to use the Z10 due to its complexity
    02-14-13 02:50 AM
    Kill some apps on the background
    02-14-13 02:55 AM
    For some people, yes.
    02-14-13 02:56 AM
    there's a dedicated call button and a text messaging icon
    and the phone goes through a tutorial during setup. but learning is diff for everyone.
    Mr_F, jesse_h and ibpluto like this.
    02-14-13 03:01 AM
    One press of iPad home button = home screen. One up-swipe of Z10 screen = home screen.

One left swipe on iPad = move one app-pane to the right. One left swipe on Z10 = move one app-pane to the right.

One tap on an icon on iPad = app opens. One tap on an icon on Z10= app opens.

I don't think that it's too complicated based on those basic examples. (disclaimer: I've only used one in the phone shop as yet, but I'm saving up...). I would imagine (again, no experience) that the basic tasks can be accomplished exactly like this [presuming that the "phone" part of Z10 has an icon... again, no first hand knowledge].

It could be said that the gesture to get to the home screen/running apps matches the "gesture" of pressing the home button...

The rest of the gestures (Kevin's 5 swipes, peek, all the flow stuff, anything else I don't know about yet) aren't essential and can be learned as you go along if you're a basic user like my Mum would be.
    EauRouge likes this.
    I don't see the issue. Instead of a home button, you just swipe up. Instead of a back button, you just swipe from the left (although some apps come with a back button anyways). Instead of the menu button for settings, you swipe down. If you want to check a message, swipe up and then right.

There are also little tutorial videos when you first boot up the phone as well. Perhaps some people were too anxious to try the phone and skipped over them (I know I did, but I already know all the gestures). Not to mention, all the native BB10 apps behave in a similar way thanks to the Cascades framework. When I first got the device, within a day I was fully comfortable with it. I don't miss my Android (which I sold a couple days ago) one bit.
    I don't see how people are finding it complicated to use, it's easier than my android. It's a very good o's. Not complicated at all.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Masahiro and kbz1960 like this.
    02-14-13 03:06 AM
    I don't see how people are finding it complicated to use, it's easier than my android. It's a very good o's. Not complicated at all.

My thoughts exactly.
    02-14-13 03:12 AM
    I had no issues using my z10 initial setup was sufficient in giving the general gestures to use the phone, but im also a pb user so the swipes from the sides of the screen were not new to myself.

02-14-13 03:13 AM
    There are always going to be people who struggle with new technologies but honestly if someone can't figure out how to make a phone call on the Z10 then they must struggle with any piece of electronic equipment, 'cos it really is a piece of cake!
    02-14-13 03:19 AM
    02-14-13 03:19 AM
    Absolutely Not too complicated.

It is the most user friendly and natural feeling OS I have ever used. I find myself sweeping up on my Android and iOS devices after only using my Z10 for a week (and I am far from alone on this).

As someone else had said:
    On Android and iOS you hit the home button, on BB10 you swipe up. Is that really complicated? All the other basic functions are exactly the same. So what part of it is complicated?

There are extra features that you Can use if you Choose to (like Peek) but they are optional. Once you figure out that swiping up = home (which you are shown a demo of before you can even boot up the phone) then there is absolutely nothing even remotely complicated about it.
    02-14-13 03:20 AM
    to press a button is a long learned behavior across our culture circles - to swipe on a screen is more innovative and not everybody knows how to deal with this. A button press is intuitive, an gesture, even the simplest one - has do be known and to be learned.

That given, a normal user CAN use an iPhone in its basic operations - and can�t use the gesture based Z10 operation procedure without introduction to the gesture possibilities. The Z10 gestures are not complicated, they are only UNKNOWN to most of the people today.
    tmaier and Barljo like this.
    02-14-13 03:21 AM
    I'm guessing it's most likely the OS *NOT* being based on apps. Apple and Google for years have been placing the icons in the same place. frankly, the beautifully designed phone/search/camera bar seems to be invisible for some users only because it's not what you can see on other phones. I think the most confusion comes with the HUB which is excellent, yet again - different to what you can find on Apple's or Google's OS's
    02-14-13 03:31 AM
    After reading the recent posts from "old school" ()BB OS users, I got the feeling that that OS was quite complicated to set up and use. I had not really appreciated the plethora of options for customization and other productivity tweaks. I used to have a Pearl (came from an original iPhone) and really only used it to make phone calls, check email, send text messages and browse news sites on that tiny screen. I was happy with that phone but moved to an iPhone when I couldnt get a Torch when my contract was up. To me, after spending the last 2.5 yrs with an iPhone 4 and ~2 yrs with a PlayBook, I find the Z10 is quite easy to use. Just have to know a few basic gestures and realize that there are contextual menus everywhere.
    02-14-13 03:31 AM
    Loving the drama of how complex it all is to use...... seriously?
    It's a different device so it behaves differently. Let's be honest if they had put a single home button on Apple would have sued!
    Most devices have a different way of getting back to home. Even the Galaxy S2 and the HTC One X have back buttons in different places.

For me the gestures are simple to use become second nature in a few hours. And it's nice to see something different for once.

lotuslanderz and Masahiro like this.
    02-14-13 03:33 AM
    I found a guy at the bar last night that had no idea
    lol, not the best place to look for a guy, especially with ideas...just kidding ))
    02-14-13 04:49 AM
    I found a guy at the bar last night that had no idea how to make a phone call or get into text messages on his brand new Z10.
    He is probably drunk...

My 9-year old nephew can operate my Z10 within a couple of minutes... I saw him reading my messages – naughty kid!
    02-14-13 04:55 AM
    it seems like BlackBerry gambled a bit with the OS introducing slightly new way of using the system
    ...Fortune favors the brave!
    02-14-13 05:09 AM
    It's the future now.
    02-14-13 05:28 AM
    I don't know about "plethora of options for customization". Many of the gripes in these forums are bemoaning the loss of customization options compared to OS7 and before. Just goes to show that everone is different and it's great that we have all of these choices.
    02-14-13 05:43 AM
    Complicated yet its called touch screen phone :rotfl Its not complicated people are just dumb thats the truth no more sugar coat nonsense.People are just dumb its called touch screen phone for a reason.

There's nothing complicated about gestures that nursery kids do instinctly when they paint at a creche.If you cant match babies you got problems.If pushing up from the bezel and the turn right complicated gesture nothing but mockery awaits you.
    02-14-13 05:48 AM
    Your dad must be a ******.

02-14-13 05:48 AM
    What the **** is wrong with people? The phone has a tutorial when it's turned on for the first time, either people are ignorant, or just dumb. It takes 2 minutes to learn how to use it, i taught my 5 year old son AND my 93 year old grandmother how to use it.
    02-14-13 06:41 AM
50 12