Just picked up my z10 this afternoon and I noticed that it is making a strange sound inside the phone. It sounds like a maraca actually, like there is something small and hard rattling inside the phone when I move it around or place it down on the table. It has literally been out of the box for 2 hours as I was just setting up my email/contacts etc and I haven't dropped it or anything etc.

Should I take it back to Rogers? Is it worth unscrewing the back plate and taking a look?

Thanks!
    02-12-13 10:46 PM
    After some more searching it seems to be the NFC contacts....
    02-12-13 10:56 PM
    I'd say take it back! Why not! There's no point in unscrewing the backplate and voiding your warranty on a brand new phone when you could just take it back. Though, I'd be curious as to what It is
    02-12-13 10:56 PM
    ALL Z10s AND ALL NEW PHONES HAVE RATTLING DUE TO THE AUTOFOCUS MECHANISM

GOOGLE "IPHONE 5 RATTLING" OR "GALAXY S3 RATTLING" FOR MORE INFORMATION

USE THE FORUM.SEARCH FUNCTION NEXT TIME, IT IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.
    02-12-13 11:05 PM
  5. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    That's funny mine doesn't rattle at all. Oh my goodness, do you think my auto focus is broken?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    02-12-13 11:17 PM
    Not normal at all. Know five people with Z10 and none of them have this problem?
    02-12-13 11:42 PM
    Mine has a slight rattle to it aswell. Seems to be from the rear camera area.
    02-12-13 11:52 PM
    Trust me, every single Z10 rattles. If yours "Doesn't" it's because you can't hear it. I've heard that countless times with the Nexus 4; "But mine doesn't Rattle." it's because you aren't doing it right. Tap the top side of the phone near the camera as if you were knocking a door. EVERY SINGLE Z10, AND MOST MODERN SMARTPHONES WILL RATTLE.

Saeed Asadi likes this.
    02-13-13 12:10 AM
    Guys its normal and its not auto focus.… take the back off ur ph and shake it .…then put ur thumb over the NFC contacts... See rattle is gone. Your welcome
    02-13-13 08:06 AM
    Mine rattles a little, not when I shake it, but when I tap the back near the camera lens, and when I have it set on vibrate. I'd assumed it was the camera.
    02-13-13 08:24 AM
    Yes I has a slight rattle when i tap not shake. I can hear it buy the rear camera, and yes by the NFC contacts. I believe it is normal because the second Z10 does the same thing.
    02-13-13 08:46 AM
    It doesn't even sound like a rattle. Grab a child's rattle if available, shake it. Then shake your Z10. Notice the difference. There is no rattling sound. It is a tiny sound that sounds nothing like a rattle. "There's a snake in my phone, think it's a rattler? Are phone snakes covered under warranty?"

tmaier likes this.
    02-13-13 10:14 AM
    mine rattles slightly as well, I just discovered it's the NFC contacts, due to this thread. If you pinch your phone slightly on the spot where the NFC contacts connect to the battery cover it stops. I was worried its a manufacturers defect in my phone and was going to exchange it. Thanks for saving me the hassle.
    02-14-13 09:14 AM
    I understand that it is the NFC contacts....however my bigger issue is putting the phone down on a table it sounds "loose" also when vibrating. I also noticed today that my back cover is slightly loose on the top left corner just underneath the camera. It has some flex compared to all other parts of the back cover, which means it's not clipped in tight enough. Ugh.
    02-15-13 03:25 PM
    It's the nfc contacts. The two prongs when you take the battery cover off. They rattle around, rarely.
    02-15-13 03:39 PM
    I have zero rattle also..

02-15-13 03:39 PM
    It doesn't even sound like a rattle. Grab a child's rattle if available, shake it. Then shake your Z10. Notice the difference. There is no rattling sound. It is a tiny sound that sounds nothing like a rattle. "There's a snake in my phone, think it's a rattler? Are phone snakes covered under warranty?"

There's no snake in my BlackBerry Z10? Darn it! That means snakes only travel inside aircraft. Thank you, I will be here all weekend. Enjoy the all you can consume pizza and margaritas buffet.
    02-15-13 03:45 PM
    Just picked up my z10 this afternoon and I noticed that it is making a strange sound inside the phone. It sounds like a maraca actually, like there is something small and hard rattling inside the phone when I move it around or place it down on the table. It has literally been out of the box for 2 hours as I was just setting up my email/contacts etc and I haven't dropped it or anything etc.

Should I take it back to Rogers? Is it worth unscrewing the back plate and taking a look?

Thanks!
    Baby Z10 perhaps. :-)
    02-15-13 03:56 PM
    i dont get any rattling when i shake my phone. but when i put down my phone, i get a slight vibration as if it was the phones vibrator moving in and out of place
    02-15-13 05:15 PM
    I have zero rattle. I wouldn't expect a rattle to be normal or acceptable. I wouldn't put up with it. I'd return it.

02-15-13 05:25 PM
    It's the vibe motor, not NFC contacts, autofocus mechanisms, or anything else. Many other devices exhibit the same sound.

-Scott
    02-15-13 06:27 PM
    I have the same problem, well not a problem in my opinion! The noise comes from the connectors of the NFC when you take away the battery cover! If you hear still hear that noise even with the cover in place then there is something wrong and better return your device

02-15-13 06:38 PM
    I have the same problem, well not a problem in my opinion! The noise comes from the connectors of the NFC when you take away the battery cover! If you hear still hear that noise even with the cover in place then there is something wrong and better return your device

It's the same rattle as an iPhone 4 and 5 both have, and they don't have NFC or removable covers. It's definitely the armature of the vibration motor.
    02-15-13 06:47 PM
    It's the same rattle as an iPhone 4 and 5 both have, and they don't have NFC or removable covers. It's definitely the armature of the vibration motor.
    ITS THE ****IN AUTOFOCUS MOTOR. I've literally said that on like 10 threads. EVERY SINGLE.NEW.PHONE WILL HAVE THIS RATTLE. Why not the vibration motor? Go pick up the new iPod touch and shake it. It has the same rattle and no vibration motor...
    02-15-13 06:59 PM
    ITS THE ****IN AUTOFOCUS MOTOR. I've literally said that on like 10 threads. EVERY SINGLE.NEW.PHONE WILL HAVE THIS RATTLE. Why not the vibration motor? Go pick up the new iPod touch and shake it. It has the same rattle and no vibration motor...
    Did some more research - I think its one of the lens elements itself rattling around when the autofocus circuitry isn't energized. I don't think there is an actual motor moving the lens around though - it's got to be electromagnetic otherwise the lense wouldn't move when not in use, if it was physically coupled to a motor via gear or worm drive or whatever.
    Last edited by sclitheroe; 02-15-13 at 09:41 PM.
    02-15-13 09:13 PM
36 12