Hi All,

Sometimes I forget that when sending an sms it doesn't spellcheck. I'm so used to pressing send in an email and then having it checked that its easy to forget it doesn't do this when pressing send in an sms. This is especially annoying when a blatent spelling mistake goes out

I've looked in Option/Sms for it, but there doesn't seem to be an option. Anyone know how to turn it on, if at all?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 01:22 PM
    I don't use spell check on emails and SMS from the BlackBerry, so I didn't realize it couldn't be enabled for SMS. After reading your post, I looked for a way to enable it, but couldn't find one. If someone else can find a way, we'll both learn something new.
    09-29-08 09:58 PM
    Just my 2 cents onto why this is. I think they didnt enable that feature for the SMS text because of the way people short text eachother back and forth. IE: LOL, BRB, TTYL stuff like that. Emails are more sent as a letter of course and are normally typed out correctly unlike quick text messages. This might be the reason. Not sure though. Doesnt hurt to try
    09-29-08 10:06 PM
    Just my 2 cents onto why this is. I think they didnt enable that feature for the SMS text because of the way people short text eachother back and forth. IE: LOL, BRB, TTYL stuff like that. Emails are more sent as a letter of course and are normally typed out correctly unlike quick text messages. This might be the reason. Not sure though. Doesnt hurt to try
    Couldn't have said it any better.
    09-29-08 10:41 PM
    I wondered the same thing about spell check in SMS. After reading the above, however, it makes perfect sense why it's not an option. When I'm in a hurry, my texts are a spellcheck nightmare! Lol

09-30-08 01:16 AM
    Wow, that sucks.
    There should definitely be an option to enable spellcheck in SMS.

09-30-08 02:39 AM
    Well, despite the fact that many people use those mindless acronyms too much (I use them too, but there is a line), considering the fact that emails can be and are sent from many BlackBerrys, a spell check application would be awesome.

Even internet forums, like this one, have spell checks and many, many people don't type correctly here...

You'd think that a third party would have made a spell checker...
    09-30-08 04:18 AM
    Well, despite the fact that many people use those mindless acronyms too much (I use them too, but there is a line), considering the fact that emails can be and are sent from many BlackBerrys, a spell check application would be awesome....
    There is a spell-check for email, just not for SMS. Options / Spell Check
    09-30-08 06:16 AM
    Speaking of third party software, I thought empowers had a spell check software that actually works on sms and email. I could be wrong but I thought so.
    I just looked at www.getempower.com and they do offer install spell. It also works with sms calendar notes as well as memos. They offer a free trial as well.

Last edited by Mrs. Curvy; 09-30-08 at 06:30 AM.
    09-30-08 06:27 AM
    I am on OS 4.5 and there is an option under Compose SMS to check the spelling.

I type what I want, hit the menu key, and there is an option to "Check spelling" works great.
    09-30-08 07:10 AM
    I am on OS 4.5 and there is an option under Compose SMS to check the spelling.

I type what I want, hit the menu key, and there is an option to "Check spelling" works great.
    yeah it does!
    09-30-08 07:51 AM
    also works on 4.3. so although it doesnt automatically do it, it still can be done.
    09-30-08 09:29 AM
    Jdubau is correct. There is an option, but when you press send it doesn't do it for you like in email

09-30-08 12:32 PM
    Another quirk with bb sms is that you're unable to send X contacts details in a text addressed to Y. I always thought this weird considering its a basic feature of most basic phones. In an email however you can send X's details. Strange.

09-30-08 12:35 PM
    There is a spell-check for email, just not for SMS. Options / Spell Check
    Hi,

Can you tell me how to turn teh spell-check for the email on please? I take this is built in rather than extra software?

Many thanks
    12-16-08 06:36 AM
    Go into your email box
    Menu
    Options
    Spell check

Make Sure SPELL CHECK BEFORE SENDING is checked.

You can get to Spell Check by going to Options-Spell Check too.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-16-08 at 06:43 AM.
    12-16-08 06:41 AM
    That's great thanks
    12-16-08 09:19 AM
    yea u can check for sms, but i do enjoy that its not automatic. i only use it for texts to my boss etc.
    12-16-08 12:47 PM
    Jeff H, You were the first in this thread to find an email spell check, and thats what I needed, I'm 13 and use lol, brb, ttyl,gtg in texts. So jeff (and chrissy also), this one's for you... WOOT!
    12-16-08 03:27 PM
    Jeff H, You were the first in this thread to find an email spell check, and thats what I needed, I'm 13 and use lol, brb, ttyl,gtg in texts. So jeff (and chrissy also), this one's for you... WOOT!
    Here's another tip:

When your email is being spell checked (or if you manually spell check a text), it will highlight a word that is either missspelled or not in the dictionary.

if the spell check highlights, say brb you can (while it's highlighted) hit menu, add to dictionary. this will add words to your custom dictionary. that way the spell check will recognize words that you have added (lol, brb, last names etc).

You can get to your custom dictionary by going to Options-Spell Check-Custom dictionary. From there you can view, add, delete your custom dictionary words.

i find this handy!

12-16-08 03:38 PM
    ha thanks, but all i need it for is email. I wouldnt go as far as to spell check txts ha!
    12-16-08 03:45 PM
    ha thanks, but all i need it for is email. I wouldnt go as far as to spell check txts ha!
    same here. this worls for emails too. i know everytime i sent an email my name would pop up as a spelling error! since i added it to the custom dictionary it sees it as correct. yay
    12-16-08 03:49 PM
    it's already there. after ur done typing the sms msg, go into menu and the option to check spelling is there. once selected, it will give a drop down of various options in comparison to each word in the text.
    12-16-08 04:28 PM
    I wish BlackBerry would have an in-text spell checker similar to the ones used on web browsers like Safari. That would be so nice.
    12-20-08 01:18 AM
    I hhink I raely need a speel chech
    12-20-08 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD