So after seeing so much difficultly with some users setting up ActiveSync I thought I would help in the process. ActiveSync is a technology used by Microsoft so if your IT gives you a weird look you probably don't have it(unless he doesn't know ****).
    Disclaimer: This advice is for informational purposes only. If you are unsure or not comfortable please contact your IT Department. Also if your company uses MDM(Mobile Device Managment) software please do not try to bypass it. You could be terminated, suspend, fined or even have to go to court over it.

But Boots, I have no idea what my settings are!
    Well, there is a couple of ways to obtain this information. First way is just to ask your IT Department. But if your afraid to go talk to someone or would like to figure it out yourself follow my guide.

If you have a newer Exchange server you probably have a feature called autodiscover. If you do, this makes setup easier. Since I don't have a BB10 device I'm sure someone can confirm this for me, you should be able to enter just your email address and password. Autodiscover will do the rest.

But what if autodiscover does not work?
    Next step would be trying to figure out the address yourself. If you ever use OWA(Outlook Web Access) you can determine the server name very easily. It is best to do this OUTSIDE of your office not connected to a VPN. Now access OWA. Do you see the URL? It is probably saying something like https://mail.company.com/owa. You would need to use the mail.company.com part.
    If you don't use OWA but use Outlook outside of the office WITHOUT the use of a VPN, you can go to your account settings in Outlook. Once in account settings, select your email account(might be listed as Microsoft Exchange) and click change>More settings>connection (tab). If you have Connect to Microsoft Exchange using http checked please continue following the directions if not STOP! You are using a different way to connect to Outlook. Click Exchange proxy settings. You will see a section named use this URL to connect to my proxy server for exchange. The server name you enter is in this box.

Determining your domain name

If you need to figure out your domain name the easiest way to do this is right click My Computer and go to properties. You will need to look for the Domain name. It should be listed something like company.com or company.local. This is your domain name. You can also open a cmd prompt by going to start>type in "cmd"(no quotes) and press enter. In the blackbox type in ping -a localhost. If this is your home computer you will need to obtain this info from your IT department.
    Other Questions
    My email that was on Exchange before worked just fine on BIS! What gives?

The connection you were using was either with a different protocol such as IMAP or your organization allows OWA but not ActiveSync. BIS used your OWA and not your organization's ActiveSync.

Is there a way to test my findings? I'm not sure if I'm entering the info correct?
    YES! Go to http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com. Use the ActiveSync test to test your settings. You will be able to determine if you used the correct settings or if ActiveSync is being blocked.

None of your suggestions worked!

Please remember many different factors play into the settings. Company size, number of Exchange servers, your location vs the location of the Exchange servers etc. Also, your organization might block ActiveSync unless you sign an HR document or you have to be connected with a MDM(Mobile Device Management) software such as Mobile Iron, Good Technology etc. DO NOT AVOID USING MDM! IF you are required to use it and try to bypass it you could be suspended, terminated, fined, or even have legal action served. PLEASE do not try to bypass it.
    yvpan1, Gearheadaddy and cookie20 like this.
    02-12-13 11:14 AM
    Thanks a million for this!! Worked perfectly for me.
    05-23-13 05:21 AM
    Yes auto discover works and if your company has a bes10 then you'll automatically be prompted for an activation password (using a blackberry 10 device).

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 05:57 AM
    I had to add a password to my device (I presume for security reasons) to activate the work email. I doubt they have BB BES10 though.
    05-23-13 06:21 AM
    Activation password and device password are different.

They most likely have a password policy set through exchange that forces any device connected straight to activesync to require a password.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 07:22 AM
    That's what I thought
    05-23-13 07:47 AM
    I was asked for the device password whilst setting up work exchange email..... However I never ever set up a device password on my phone. Had to press cancel several times till it ended.

So can someone advice me what to do when it asks for a device password?? Should I make one BEFORE putting the email settings on?

Does enabling device password means every time I switch on phone I need to enter a password??

Thanks
    05-30-13 01:23 PM
    I enabled the device password before I set up my work account. It will ask for the device password every time you unlock the device
    123nat likes this.
    05-30-13 02:40 PM
    So shall I make a device password.....and then set up work account and then turn off device password afterwards?

Would that work?
    05-30-13 02:57 PM
    That's what worked for me
    123nat likes this.
    05-30-13 03:00 PM
    That's what worked for me
    Thanks so much! Had a moment of panic (it wasn't my phone - was a colleague at work) when it asked for the device password. Will know what to do tomorrow - simple set up a temporary device password before setting up email.

Thanks
    05-30-13 03:01 PM
    I found I couldn't disable the password after setting up the email account as the device reported it wouldn't let me due to "account security requirements" BUT when I updated my OS the account was already on the device and I had disabled my password. I still had to verify my password (after the update) and when I did it did not require the device password to be reactivated.
    05-30-13 03:10 PM
    I am wondering if its on the Exchange side of the server that requires a password?
    05-30-13 03:22 PM
    I am wondering if its on the Exchange side of the server that requires a password?
    Yes, this is due to Exchange security policies. Your IT department has to enforce this.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 03:27 PM
    Yes, this is due to Exchange security policies. Your IT department has to enforce this.

Posted via CB10
    Can they disable it? If so, how on Exchange 2007?

Thanks
    05-30-13 04:26 PM
    Can they disable it? If so, how on Exchange 2007?

Thanks
    Sorry, for the really late reply. I know you probably got your answer, but to help others here is a link that should help:

How to Modify Exchange ActiveSync Mailbox Policy Settings: Exchange 2007 Help
    07-24-13 09:30 AM