With FaceFlow all you need is an internet connection. And you can also video conference anywhere in the world. Free.
    e-phone for the PB is free calling to North America, and you get a phone number, so someone can call you directly.

So why the Skype hype? Am I missing something?
    02-12-13 08:01 AM
    For functionality, sure, Skype is totally replaceable.

For me, it's about who is on Skype, not what it does. All of the people I work with.. like 40 of them... are all on Skype. We use it like our office phone. So no choice but to get Skype on BlackBerry 10 for me.
    02-12-13 08:16 AM
    Its similar to the Whatapp and BMM... it more depends on whch app your contacts use... for me it is BMM for my wife it is Whatsapp.....
    02-12-13 08:27 AM

For me, it's about who is on Skype, not what it does. All of the people I work with.. like 40 of them... are all on Skype. We use it like our office phone. So no choice but to get Skype on BlackBerry 10 for me.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. everybody I know (apart from the BB people obviously) has skype. Im not saying that these other video/call apps are not as good, but Skype is the most popular and most used on all other devices so it would be a good asset for BB10. Just my opinion.

The same goes with whatsapp.
    02-12-13 09:45 AM
    So why the Skype hype? Am I missing something?
    People are on skype. I have Facetime on my iPhone. iPhone users still call me on Skype. I have video chat on my PlayBook. PlayBook users ask me if they can get skype.

It's not about the technicals - it's about the userbase.
    mungpat likes this.
    02-12-13 09:48 AM
    Its similar to the Whatapp and BMM... it more depends on whch app your contacts use... for me it is BMM for my wife it is Whatsapp.....
    U sure you've used BBM before?
    Lol... JK.

Kevin said it best... It depends on who use it most... I got more than 500+ contacts on whatsapp n close to 300 on bbm. Mainly clients n colleagues.
    And only a handful on wechat (though wechat offer better performance and functions over whatsapp).
    It all depends on who use it most.
    02-12-13 10:14 AM
    I'll be using FaceFlow and BBM. Let's not forget that ooVoo is on board too. I'm bucking Skype because they snubbed my PlayBook
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-12-13 03:35 PM

Completely agree. The "hype" is that Skype is THE the thing. Everyone seems to use it. Functionality, Google Hangout is better, especially for a conference call, but ultimately more people know how to use Skype, and essentially it's a "universal" app.
    02-12-13 03:40 PM
    On FaceFlow, we'll make it VERY EASY to get connected with your contacts. For most people, a lot of their Skype contacts are naturally also Facebook, phone, and/or even BBM contacts.
    We'll take advantage of these services somehow so that the only thing you and contacts would need to do, is to install the app and sign up, and then we'll do the job of recommending you "friends you may know". Our goal is to make this process really simple so that's it's not even a big of an excuse anymore.
    We'll update FaceFlow with these sort of functions in the near future.

-------
    Dany Pelletier
    Founder, FaceFlow
    Last edited by Dany Pell; 02-12-13 at 05:30 PM.
    imz and noelito4three like this.
    02-12-13 04:59 PM
    Dany - I'm cheering for you, but it's a tough fight. Gotta get people to come over.
    Dany Pell and KemKev like this.
    02-12-13 05:04 PM
    I'm a very infrequent user of these services, and so focus more on the technology and trying to give a break to some small struggling guy with a better idea and service.

But I can understand the power of established standards. I will stick with Windows, despite my dislike for Microsoft. That company has probably pulled in more money and developed the least original stuff than any in history, all the while being protected by society's need for a standard.
    02-13-13 01:01 AM
    I actualy like and use faceflow - but the problem is that the person you want to call must have their browser open and be logged into faceflow.

It desperately needs a client program that sit's on your platform of choice, that when called opens your browser and logs you in.

It doesn't need a full blown OS specific client just the above to sit in the background imho.
    02-13-13 07:53 AM
    does faceflow work on ios platforms ?
    02-13-13 04:06 PM
    Who needs Skype?

Here we go again...according to our dear friend Wiki, Skype has 663 million registered users... so, basically there are 663 million people needs Skype...

FaceFlow is great alternative... and so does FaceTime... but we have to live with facts... we don't need to challenge something obviously cannot be defeated by just asking "who needs it?"...

Another great effort from BlackBerry btw...
    02-13-13 08:19 PM
    I have a skype account. I used it once last year when I created it butI don't consider myself a true user...but I am still counted as one of the 663 million people though!
    02-13-13 08:38 PM
    uncle_numpty - Thanks for pointing this out.
    We'll actually be providing a desktop application in the near future.

Amiteo - we're expecting our iOS app to be done within 2-3 months.

Joshua - OP's point is that whether skype is available or not, you are not 100% dependent on it - there are alternatives.
    It's also not about defeating skype, that's pointless. It's simply about providing services to people who require it, and all services can "live" without being "defeated".
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-14-13 12:58 AM
    It's also not about defeating skype, that's pointless. It's simply about providing services to people who require it, and all services can "live" without being "defeated".
    ^^^ this.. and the keyword is 'services' ... always feels good supporting the underdogs...
    i mean, everyone should get the chance to be on top and view the world from the top once in a while...
    and until then, (or until i get my hands on the Z10) face flow will always get my free promotional services..

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-14-13 02:59 AM
    I just came from Skype forum... and exactly question was asked... only the "noun" and "subject" were swapped...

Anyway, I will still get FaceFlow... regardless of what...
    02-14-13 05:20 AM
    Amiteo - we're expecting our iOS app to be done within 2-3 months.
    That would be great - as being able to video chat with ipad users (which is the rest of our relatives!) would make this take off in my household.
    02-14-13 05:37 AM
    If all your friends use skype then this is useless
    02-14-13 11:17 AM
    Obviously ......or are you saying something more profound, like everybody's friends use Skype.

Many of you live in a different world than I do in the frequency of interactions you have with other people. For the occasional user FaceFlow and e-phone permit similar interactions using the PB.
    02-14-13 08:21 PM
    I have a new Z10 and must have Skype to be able to video chat with my family with Android, Samsung and I phones - I have downloaded Faceflow and it doesnt work worth a darn - all I get is a add a contact page, so must be doing something wrong but what. When oh when will Skype be coming. It is ridiculous that I have to use an I pod touch, or my I pad mini to get Skype. Faceflow ... your app doesnt appear to work on my Z10
    02-14-13 10:56 PM
    It is not working too in my Z10... perhaps because both devices I'm using are connected to the same wifi even using different accounts (just to test)... or I'm missing something too...

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 04:10 AM
    Maybe a Z10 thing. For non-Z10, I've used two different accounts as well on the same wifi. I set my laptop to look at a meter in one part of the house, and I could see it's response on my PB while I tweaked a dial from the other part of the house.
    02-15-13 06:57 AM
    Obviously ......or are you saying something more profound, like everybody's friends use Skype.

Many of you live in a different world than I do in the frequency of interactions you have with other people. For the occasional user FaceFlow and e-phone permit similar interactions using the PB.

OK well let me answer your initial question...."Who needs skype?"

People whose friends use skype....

don't tout this faceflow as something great that is going to replace skype...people still need skype if everyone they know is on skype
    02-15-13 08:45 AM
44 12