This is probably the clearest description of how the new phones actually utilize email

BIS, bash, bosh: El Reg solves BlackBerry 10 email bafflement ? The Register

Not a deal breaker for me but does clear a lot of confusion up.
    02-11-13 11:16 PM
    Okay thanks for that. It explained a bit to me. Glad the illuminati aren't behind this.
    02-11-13 11:41 PM
    This is probably the clearest description of how the new phones actually utilize email

BIS, bash, bosh: El Reg solves BlackBerry 10 email bafflement ? The Register

Not a deal breaker for me but does clear a lot of confusion up.
    This is still NOT news. This article from a week ago was not news when it was posted two days ago in a previous thread, where this has been discussed thoroughly. The article is NOT a good description of how things work, at least not insofar as BIS is concerned.

See: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-769775/

Please don't start duplicate threads. Especially, when they spread FUD.
    02-11-13 11:48 PM
    This is still NOT news. This article from a week ago was not news when it was posted two days ago in a previous thread, where this has been discussed thoroughly. The article is NOT a good description of how things work, at least not insofar as BIS is concerned.

See: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-769775/
    As a 'consumer' gmail user (i.e. free gmail) I'd like a clarification about this paragraph from the article. I'm sorry, I don't know what IMAP IDLE is and 'polling' my gmail account every 15 minutes to pull down new emails is a deal breaker.

"Finally, if you have a consumer GMail account then the picture is cloudy. Google has now agreed to support ActiveSync until the end of July. It may decide to release a native for GMail client for BlackBerry 10 as it has for Apple's iOS. Or it may not. If Google pulls ActiveSync from consumer (aka free) GMail then it's polling or IDLE for you".

Disclaimer: I'm a huge BB fan who was forced away about 2 years ago and I am waiting and watching very closely to see how things shake out with the OS and the integration with the hardware.
    02-12-13 01:10 AM
    As a 'consumer' gmail user (i.e. free gmail) I'd like a clarification about this paragraph from the article. I'm sorry, I don't know what IMAP IDLE is and 'polling' my gmail account every 15 minutes to pull down new emails is a deal breaker.

"Finally, if you have a consumer GMail account then the picture is cloudy. Google has now agreed to support ActiveSync until the end of July. It may decide to release a native for GMail client for BlackBerry 10 as it has for Apple's iOS. Or it may not. If Google pulls ActiveSync from consumer (aka free) GMail then it's polling or IDLE for you".

Disclaimer: I'm a huge BB fan who was forced away about 2 years ago and I am waiting and watching very closely to see how things shake out with the OS and the integration with the hardware.
    IMAP-IDLE is push. Some people argue that it's "fake" push but it's widely accepted as push. IMAP-IDLE is good enough for Google *to* discontinue support for Microsoft's technology. Not the other way around.

BlackBerry 10 provides full push support including IMAP-IDLE support for Gmail. BIS first used POP and, later, IMAP for Gmail email access. BIS *never* used Exchange ActiveSync for Gmail and Google Apps integration. You're not losing functionality when it comes to Gmail when switching to a BlackBerry 10 device from a BIS-based device. On the front of consumer services, you are *gaining* in several ways, including more universal push availability.

The Register is an established tech news site and the writers there deserve credit for speaking their minds when it comes to powers-that-be, including Microsoft and Apple, but that article is plainly garbage. The quote you post is one of the several reasons why that article is full of needless FUD and discussing it all over again borders on being useless.

Please see the full discussion from many users in these threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-769775/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nsense-770270/
    Ding dong BIS is Dead
    Last edited by b320; 02-12-13 at 03:32 AM.
    02-12-13 01:30 AM
    IMAP-IDLE is push. Some argue that it's "fake" push but it's widely accepted as push. IMAP-IDLE is good enough for Google *to* discontinue support for Microsoft's technology. Not the other way around.

BlackBerry 10 provides full push support, including IMAP-IDLE support for Gmail. BIS first used POP and, later, IMAP for Gmail email access. BIS *never* used Exchange ActiveSync for Gmail and Google Apps integration. You're not losing functionality when it comes to Gmail when switching to a BlackBerry 10 device from a BIS-based device.
    Thanks for the info and for the links. Although we're probably under-represented on these forums, there are a lot of us out here who don't have the tech knowledge to differentiate between these various protocols. I for one just want to know that I will be able to have an email exchange with a client and see his emails appear in my inbox 1 or 2 seconds after he clicks send, which was the case for all my previous BBerry devices and is currently the case for my mildly hated iPhone (which is tolerable if you don't need to make phone calls on it). If IMAP-IDLE and its 'fake' push does this consistently, all will be well. If it doesn't, it's a (much) different story.

As an aside, my overall impression is that the Z10 is a great handset for someone like me, who couldn't care less about gaming and feel basically the same way about Twitter and FB, although I am forced to view FB occasionally because even my work contacts are using it. I just want to wait through a software upgrade to let all you super-early adopters work through some of the inevitable bugs for me : )

EDIT: you mentioned I'm not losing Gmail functionality when coming to BB10 from a BIS based device. The bottom line is that the same had better be true for anyone coming from any device if they want to make a go of this thing. If I lose any Gmail functionality coming back to BB from iPhone, it'll be a deal breaker.

I'll check out the links you provided.
    02-12-13 01:40 AM
    ... I for one just want to know that I will be able to have an email exchange with a client and see his emails appear in my inbox 1 or 2 seconds after he clicks send, which was the case for all my previous BBerry devices and is currently the case for my mildly hated iPhone (which is tolerable if you don't need to make phone calls on it). If IMAP-IDLE and its 'fake' push does this consistently, all will be well. If it doesn't, it's a (much) different story. ... EDIT: you mentioned I'm not losing Gmail functionality when coming to BB10 from a BIS based device. The bottom line is that the same had better be true for anyone coming from any device if they want to make a go of this thing. If I lose any Gmail functionality coming back to BB from iPhone, it'll be a deal breaker.
    You're certainly welcome and thanks for your thanks. Also, it's great that you're considering getting a BlackBerry 10 device.

You'll be pleased to know that the phone call functionality on BlackBerry Z10 is very good. On your last point: BlackBerry is determined to maintain the BlackBerry PIM experience (including mail, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes) the best-in-class. Further, BlackBerry has always done special things to accommodate Gmail-based services and make them work great. I expect that the BlackBerry 10 development will keep at it.
    02-12-13 02:14 AM