Hi, first post hopefully in the right forum

I'm helping my wife buy a new phone, she has an old iphone 3gs (replaced once under warranty). She is a physician, mainly uses the phone for email/text messaging, directions, internet, very few apps. Currently she is on a plan with Fido that is now month to month (3 year term ended some ago). Its $54/month unlimited calling, cdn long distance, 2GB data, voice mail, call display. She has roughly $200 "fido dollars". I have a really old Blackberry 8130 that I use only for text/phone (no data plan, still on super talk 15 with telus) but have been really happy with the build quality of this phone, (certainly outlasted her 2 iphones and then some). I thought the Z10 would be the best choice for her, plus we really want to support a Canadian company.

My question is, should she stick with Fido given the plan seems competitive, and she has the fido dollars? Or are there better deals to be had as a new customer on the other carriers that anyone is aware of? We are in Montreal and the coverage seems acceptable for most carriers.

The other issue would be length of contract, Fido gives you the option of 2 year or 3 year contracts. Mathematically it seems the only way you come out ahead/even with the 2 year plan is if you know you will buy a new phone between 2nd and 3rd year. Is it still worth going for the 2 year plan if your not someone who needs to have the latest phone? Do you guys think the Z10 will last 3 years with gentle use, or is this a thing of the past (ie my old bb)?

thanks for the help!
    02-10-13 01:55 PM
    You won't be able to get a cheaper in market plan from any other carrier so I say stick with Fido. (Not counting Wind and Mobilicity. Don't do that to her she'll hate you for it.)

I switch my phones at least every 6 months so I can't really comment on keeping any phone 2 or 3 years.
    02-10-13 02:05 PM
    Yup. Very good plan. Everything else will cost more and give you less in return.
    02-10-13 02:11 PM
    Your wife has a pretty nice plan. I'm with fido too. My plan is 56 for only 200 daytime, unlimited evening and text, caller id etc but I have 6 Gig usage. If you call fido, their 3 year plan is 150 for the phone, with the fido dollars, it's free for your wife!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 02:12 PM
    yes sir..stick with that plan. its pretty darn good. 2GB data isn't bad either. alot better than 1gb the competition offers for around the same price minus the Canadian long distance. Plus.. i think the Z10 on a 2 year plan is $350 i believe.. so you'd actually pay $150 for the phone on 2yr contract... the choice is yours with regards to the contract term..
    02-10-13 03:26 PM
    yes sir..stick with that plan. its pretty darn good. 2GB data isn't bad either. alot better than 1gb the competition offers for around the same price minus the Canadian long distance. Plus.. i think the Z10 on a 2 year plan is $350 i believe.. so you'd actually pay $150 for the phone on 2yr contract... the choice is yours with regards to the contract term..
    Or buy the BlackBerry Z10 from Fido on a three-year contract for 189.00 (Rogers pricing), keep the existing voice, mail, and data plan, and with the Fido Dollars the Z10 should be net free.
    02-10-13 03:37 PM
    well that is pretty good plan..I am with telus in the west and i believe i paid 149.99 for three years contract and i pay 80.00 for unlimited calling, long distance, text and 1 gig of data
    02-10-13 03:46 PM
    I'm with Virgin and I have the Virgin equivalent $56 Unlimited Canada BB 2gb plan. This came out at Christmas time 2012. It is now deemed a non current plan.

Will Fido actually allow you to keep that plan and get a phone subsidy? If that's the way Fido works I guess during the next "price war?" I will seriously think hard about switching.

I have to buy my Z10 outright or give up my plan. The funny thing is the money I save if I was to give up my $56 plan and go for the $60 plan:

Silver plan $35 unltd incoming Canada wide + $25 2gb data = $150 subsidy = $60/mnth fee = $6 applied to tab = 25 months to pay back subsidy = $50 savings over buying outright.
    Gold plan $60 unltd incoming Canada wide w/1gb data = $300 subsidy = $60/mnth fee = $6 applied to tab = 50 months to pay back subsidy = $100 savings over buying outright.

LOL I'll stick to buying outright with Virgin
    02-10-13 04:14 PM
    well that is pretty good plan..I am with telus in the west and i believe i paid 149.99 for three years contract and i pay 80.00 for unlimited calling, long distance, text and 1 gig of data
    You should call Telus and negotiate a better price of more data for the price you are paying. For example, Rogers is offering unlimited local calls, unlimited text (sms, mms) messages, voice mail, call display, and 3 GB data for 80.00; or the same as preceding plus unlimited Canada-wide calling and 5 GB data for 100.00. I paid 139.99 after mail-on rebate for the BlackBerry Z10. I just noticed my SIM card is marked on the invoice as an Apple iPhone SIM...will this work with NFC or is there a special NFC-enabled SIM card that Rogers should have provided instead?
    02-10-13 05:02 PM
    thanks for all the feedback. We decided to head down to the Fido store and pick one up... went to 2 stores, both sold out, the people at the flagship store said the fido version is sold out across the city. Guess she'll have to wait a few more days. Sounds like they are selling pretty well though
    02-10-13 07:01 PM
    My 2cents after being on multiple carriers: Rogers is expensive. Telus has good coverage and is cheaper and decent service.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 09:04 PM
    Just to follow up. She's had the phone for almost a week now. Interface was very easy to figure out. Keyboard works much better than Iphone apparently. I sideloaded Google Maps for her. Overall smooth transition and happy customer.

I should say I was a bit disapointed with the Fido store though. Not a single poster/ad for the Z10 inside. We asked the salesperson about the phone, his reaction was pretty "meh" doesn't sound like he's every actually used the phone other than activating people... and this was at their flagship store, so much for promoting a Canadian product.
    02-18-13 07:10 AM
    Rogers as fido can not give me what i have with rogers, actually no other carrier can, well they could, but for about $60-100.00 more

I have:

Unlimited Nation Wide Calling = To anyone in Canada can call me or i can call them no extra cost
    Unlimited Canada Wide Texting
    Unlimited International Texting
    Unlimited To US Texting
    Call Display
    Name Display
    Voicemail
    Visual Voicemail = only works with Iphone
    5 GB Shared Data Plan

All for $95.00 a month, plus tax

Rogers has the Most coverage in Canada and best service.
    02-22-13 04:14 PM
    Rogers as fido can not give me what i have with rogers, actually no other carrier can, well they could, but for about $60-100.00 more

I have:

Unlimited Nation Wide Calling = To anyone in Canada can call me or i can call them no extra cost
    Unlimited To US Texting
    Call Display
    Name Display
    Voicemail
    5 GB Shared Data Plan

I have the same plan as you with a few more options (International MMS, 6GB Data and 2500 call forwarding minutes) for $60 a month, plus taxes. This is with Fido.
    02-22-13 04:36 PM

I have:

Unlimited To US Texting
    Call Display
    Name Display
    Voicemail
    5 GB Shared Data Plan

I'm doing this not to make you feel bad, but to let you know that you can do way better. That is not a good plan. You can get the same thing for less money for sure, with any carrier.
    02-22-13 04:41 PM
    I'm doing this not to make you feel bad, but to let you know that you can do way better. That is not a good plan. You can get the same thing for less money for sure, with any carrier.
    I have more services then just this i just can't remember them all right now, but i can tell you i check with fido, bell, telus and all said $60-100.00 more for what i have.
    02-22-13 04:47 PM
    I have more services then just this i just can't remember them all right now, but i can tell you i check with fido, bell, telus and all said $60-100.00 more for what i have.
    You can't remember your services??

There isn't a lot more you can have. You're almost certainly getting ripped off. Go over to HoFo and have a look around. Your plan should cost around $70 -$75 with all the texting. You have to ask to speak to the Loyalty department.

EDIT: Doc B above me just said he has everything you have and more for $60.
    Last edited by mset; 02-22-13 at 05:04 PM.
    02-22-13 04:50 PM
    OP, I think your wife's plan is pretty good. I know many physicians who use BB's.

Grab yourself a 3 year plan, because afte 2 years you can sell your device online for roughly the same amount as a contract buyout/early upgrade. So its win-win
    02-22-13 04:55 PM
    You can't remember your services??

There isn't a lot more you can have. You're almost certainly getting ripped off. Go over to HoFo and have a look around. Your plan should cost around $70 -$75 with all the texting. You have to ask to speak to the Loyalty department.

EDIT: the guy above me just said he has everything you have and more for $60.
    What he said - you should call up Rogers and renegotiate. You are paying way too much for your services.
    02-22-13 05:00 PM
    I'm on the same plan, and just knowing that my bill is under 110.00 per month without worrying about any additional charges....im good with that. I've been a Rogers customer for 13 years..never an issue with their network...and as long as I don't have to play roulette and speak with customer service I'm good. Turn over is extremely high in these call centers guys...its pretty rare to speak with an experienced CSR. Pretty simple...technology is moving so fast, new employees just can't take in all the information. If you speak to an experienced CSR enjoy it will probably be your last conversation with them. 3 or 4 years in that industry makes you extremely employable. Anyway, I've switched briefly to other carriers dido (pre Rogers purchase), Telus and Bell...M Rogers IMO has a superior Network over the Bell.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 05:03 PM
    My bill is under 110.00 per month ....and as long as I don't have to play roulette and speak with customer service I'm good. Pretty simple...technology is moving so fast, new employees just can't take in all the information.
    $110?? Wow, because you don't want to play rep roulette? Darn, I would enjoy playing rep roulette if it meant saving $30+ a month like you could. Maybe you just have lots of money and these amounts don't register on your radar.

Whatever, as you said, the only reason you wouldn't renegotiate in your position is that you're not interested in jumping through the hoops. Fair enough. Good luck to you.
    02-22-13 05:08 PM
    And just so you know, Rogers does not have the best coverage.i have friends who live in alberta,BC,Sask and Rogers was a no go out of any cities. It's either Telus or bell

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 06:16 PM
    110 taxes in is better than what I was spending 3 months ago, please advise what plans are out there that offer unlimited talk and text 5 gigs of data that are 30 dollars cheaper and are not wind or public mobile.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 06:18 PM
    Btw...the 110ish taxes in is a 100 percent write off.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 06:19 PM
    I don't travel into the sticks when out of province so I can't refute that, Bell, Telus, Sask tel Manitoba Tel ect have always piggy backed on each other way back to the Stentor days on land lines which continues today on Cell service. So you maybe correct going to rural areas out slide of Ontario. Nevertheless, I never ran into any issues on Rogers anywhere I have been from east to west coast.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 06:28 PM
27 12