I went to CostCo today to try and purchase a Z10 outright. The guy said BlackBerry had banned any purchase outright of the Z10 until the launch in the US.

Is that true?! Did anyone try buying their Z10 outright and were told so? I remember when I went on the 5th, the guy gave me outright prices but never mentioned anything about not being able to purchase it.
    02-09-13 01:49 PM
    Hogwash, he just wanted to sell you a contract. Plenty of people buying off contract.
    Bla1ze, el_excelsior and bahandi like this.
    02-09-13 01:59 PM
    Hogwash, he just wanted to sell you a contract. Plenty of people buying off contract.
    Bingo. Go find a corp. carrier store.
    02-09-13 02:11 PM
    I bought 3 of them outright at a Rogers store on launch day.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 02:12 PM
    I ran into same issue in Southern Alberta. All carrier stores in Lethbridge, as well as wireless wave, fs, beat buy etc wouldn't sell outright they said for at least a month. In Calgary, it was same issue 4 Rogers stores, a Telus and a bell store all wouldn't sell without contract. Finally bought one off kijiji.

All stores said they were not "permitted" to sell outright.

Love my z10 so far!

02-09-13 02:23 PM
    I went to CostCo today to try and purchase a Z10 outright. The guy said BlackBerry had banned any purchase outright of the Z10 until the launch in the US.

Is that true?! Did anyone try buying their Z10 outright and were told so? I remember when I went on the 5th, the guy gave me outright prices but never mentioned anything about not being able to purchase it.
    Wrong. The company that runs costco wireless "Glentel" also runs wireless wave and t-booth. My wireless wave hookup said corporate told them not to sell off contract for a little bit. It may be a week or two before they are allowed again.
    02-09-13 02:37 PM
    I ran into same issue in Southern Alberta. All carrier stores in Lethbridge, as well as wireless wave, fs, beat buy etc wouldn't sell outright they said for at least a month. In Calgary, it was same issue 4 Rogers stores, a Telus and a bell store all wouldn't sell without contract. Finally bought one off kijiji.

All stores said they were not "permitted" to sell outright.

Love my z10 so far!

Check out Walmart. Thats my new hookup for my Z10 sales to the states. They carry the big 3 and will sell outright of whichever they have more stock of. Ex: they have 10 bell 10 telus and 12 rogers they will sell you a rogers one off contract.
    02-09-13 02:39 PM
    how much it costs off contract there? I read a slightly disappointing report about it costing 39k ($727) here. Either very confident or good sense of humor
    02-09-13 02:41 PM
    how much it costs off contract there? I read a slightly disappointing report about it costing 39k ($727) here. Either very confident or good sense of humor
    $650 + tax
    Hawkeberry likes this.
    02-09-13 02:51 PM
    I got mine off contract. $600 at rogers and fido. though I had to pay a $25 upgrade fee at fido. not sure about rogers.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    02-09-13 03:24 PM
    I bought mine for 599 at my local Rogers store

02-09-13 03:58 PM
    Any decision on how to retail a device is entirely the carrier's or retailer's responsibility and policy can even vary from like store to like store. BlackBerry really doesn't care how they're sold just as long as they are and could not impose any restrictions on the retail side of things.

I bought my Z10 through Telus off contract.
    02-09-13 04:06 PM
    Koodo is selling them for $550 + tax. You can go into London Drugs and buy one off contract from Telus $650, Koodo $550, Fido or Rogers. $600
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    02-09-13 04:20 PM
    I asked Bell that question a couple of days before launch and they said they weren't allowed to sell any outright for a few days after launch. Cant remember the exact date but there was a bit of a delay. The only option you had was a 3 year contract..
    02-09-13 07:41 PM
    I had the same problem with Telus I just went to fido and paid the full price then got the unlock codes online and inserted my Telus sim.

02-09-13 07:45 PM
    I bought mine off contract at a bell store in Canmore.

02-09-13 07:59 PM
    The Kiosks in Costco are owned by Wireless Wave. They are commission sales people. They make a grand total of $0 on an outright phone sale. So they have no incentive to sell you one. A place like Walmart where they just make minimum wage and the person in electronics might just be covering a lunch and normally works in shoes, would happily sell you one outright rather then try and figure out how to activate it anyway. Just depends on the store and the rep.
    02-09-13 09:50 PM
    Tell me why I want to buy off contract ? $89 at Telus vs $600 outright . I don't understand the math please advise. Thanks
    02-09-13 11:26 PM
    Tell me why I want to buy off contract ? $89 at Telus vs $600 outright . I don't understand the math please advise. Thanks
    A new contract applies only if you've been using your phone for the past two or three years depending on the length of your contract.

I cannot wait 2 to 3 years to change my BlackBerry. I am currently using the 9900. Had I not bought it outright, I would still have been using my torch.
    02-09-13 11:41 PM
    A new contract applies only if you've been using your phone for the past two or three years depending on the length of your contract.

I cannot wait 2 to 3 years to change my BlackBerry. I am currently using the 9900. Had I not bought it outright, I would still have been using my torch.
    So folks who want to get new phones every year buy them outright and then sell them a year later... still seems like an expensive way to buy a phone.
    02-09-13 11:56 PM
    sure you can, that just may be house policy. Try "virgin" from best buy- $599

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 12:04 AM
    I picked up another one from Costco here today no problem. No contract, he tried to make me take a galaxy 3 though.
    02-10-13 01:42 AM
    So folks who want to get new phones every year buy them outright and then sell them a year later... still seems like an expensive way to buy a phone.
    Not really a person is not locked into an average $60 contract for 3 years. Min $2200. Now that a used blackberry will actually hold value now, makes sense to buy it outright. Can get the next best thing anytime.
    02-10-13 01:48 AM
    I might buy mine outright. If I do I don't want the big Verizon wireless logo on it. Wonder where I can get that
    02-10-13 03:28 AM

Koodo has no contracts. I paid full price and can leave Koodo at anytime.i should add they are selling the Z10 for $550 off contract.
    02-10-13 08:03 AM
56 123