Hey Team,

I was wondering if someone faced a similar issue and if they found a solution. Here is what my Bold 9900 is doing:

The trackpad randomly moves and selects items, making the device almost unusable because when you are typing, other parts of the screen get selected. The only way I can use it is by placing my thumb on the trackpad so it covers the entire surface and then akwardly type at the same time.

I'm thinking of just placing duct tape over the trackpad.

Anyone else have the same issue?
    02-08-13 10:06 AM
    Hold old is the phone? If under one year you warranty that bad boy
    02-09-13 03:19 AM
    I have seen the same problem. Not bothered sending it back. but not found this to be a terribly reliable phone. always fixed for me by removing the battery and restarting.
    02-09-13 02:01 PM
    mine is doing the same thing. on the phone with verizon right now getting a new one sent out.
    02-09-13 03:13 PM
    I had that happen on my old 9300 had to return it and get a new one it was only getting worse and worse
    02-09-13 03:14 PM
    I had a client that issued me a Curve that behaved like that. Had to keep my thumb on the trackpad to write.
    02-10-13 05:08 AM
    had a similar problem with mine... sometimes it would go a little crazy like that and other times it would not respond. But maybe thats partly due to the amount of bangs and falls the device had... battery pull normally does the trick for me atleast... only happened on a couple occasions though.
    02-10-13 02:37 PM
    Mine is getting worse and worse every day. I called up verizon and they said it should NOT do this. They have shipped me a brand new one :-) will be here tomorrow haha.
    02-10-13 10:17 PM
    This seems to be a hardware issue, and thus a warranty replacement should solve this.

Another alternative would be to try either:
    1. restoring to factory
    2. reloading the OS

Either of those two might help albeit temporary...
    02-11-13 07:49 PM
    This seems to be a hardware issue, and thus a warranty replacement should solve this.

1. restoring to factory
    2. reloading the OS

Nope. I restored mine 3 times, and hard wiped it and re-installed the OS twice.

Only thing that fixed it was calling my carrier and me sending it back to them while smiling holding my nice new warranty replacement :-D
    02-11-13 09:41 PM

1. restoring to factory
    2. reloading the OS

Tried both as well as battery pull, to no avail.

The problem occurs intermittently. One thing that helped for a short period is putting nailpolish remover on the trackpad with a Q-tip. I think it cleans the surface.

I think the problem is due to moisture getting into the trackpad somehow. In any case, BB10 should fix this. :P
    03-04-13 01:49 PM
    Does it only do it when plugged in? If it is only when plugged in, there is a problem with either the charger, the power bar or the outlet.
    krimurali likes this.
    03-04-13 03:14 PM
    Robsteve is right. Change the charger, and you will be fine. The charger is non standard and is attracting charge(you know +/-) for your capacitive touch screen.
    03-05-13 02:17 AM
    Does it only do it when plugged in? If it is only when plugged in, there is a problem with either the charger, the power bar or the outlet.
    This happens when its not plugged into the charger as well. It's independent of that. It just happened to be charging when I was taking the video.
    03-05-13 08:50 AM
    This is definately a hardware fault. Apparently something to do with the trackpad connection to the main board. This happened with my first 9900. Only way is to get it replaced or repaired.
    03-06-13 01:24 AM
    This happened to me last week with my 9900. It seemed though the track pad was only acting crazy in low light environments but once it was in bright sunlight or under bright lights it would be fine. Anyway I brought it back to the store and they sent it for repair but they sent me a refurb/new device rather than repair it so definitely a hardware issue. Pretty cool as my old device was 18 months old so now I've essentially a new device for free while I await the launch of the z10. All fine now.
    03-06-13 01:37 AM
    I just experienced a similar problem with a new 9900 keyboard and track pad. My vertical sensativity was set to 20 (lowest) and it would still scroll upwards with/without my thumb hovering over the pad(not touching). I was going to install my old trackpad but decided to try out some 600grit sand paper and very lightly take the shine off the track pad since it appears to use a motion type sensor.

Wow it seems to be working fine! No more uncontrolled upward scrolling and I can use the sensativity to adjust to my needs. 600grit sand paper seems a bit rough, if you have 1000grit that might work better.

Good luck!
    06-27-14 01:37 PM