• A Little Better than my old Physical Keyboard

18 17.65%
  • The Same as my old Physical Keyboard

11 10.78%
  • A Little Worse than my old Physical Keyboard

30 29.41%
  • A Lot Worse than my old Physical Keyboard

11 10.78%
    So for those of us that are coming from a device with a Physical Keyboard to the BlackBerry Z10 what do you think of the Typing experience so far?

I'm coming from a Bold 9700 and even though the Z10 Touchscreen Keyboard is the best Touchscreen Keyboard that I've ever used it's still not quite as good as the Physical Keyboard on my Bold 9700.
    02-07-13 10:52 AM
    I'm getting pretty fast on it but I miss my buttons, it's just not the same, I need that satisfying click!
    Neely2005 and morganplus8 like this.
    02-07-13 10:55 AM
    I've got to say I'm disappointed. I have big hands, and even bigger thumbs it seems, and I can't move my thumbs around the keyboard well enough, they keep banging into each other. The keyboard feels very cramped in portrait mode and I've yet to be able to find a way to use the KB in landscape mode. Turning the phone on its side doesn't do anything and I can't find a setting anywhere that will allow me to type in landscape. Any pointers anyone?
    02-07-13 11:04 AM
    I've got to say I'm disappointed. I have big hands, and even bigger thumbs it seems, and I can't move my thumbs around the keyboard well enough, they keep banging into each other. The keyboard feels very cramped in portrait mode and I've yet to be able to find a way to use the KB in landscape mode. Turning the phone on its side doesn't do anything and I can't find a setting anywhere that will allow me to type in landscape. Any pointers anyone?
    Something must be wrong with your Z10. When I tilt mine the Keyboard automatically goes from Portrait to Landscape mode.
    02-07-13 11:10 AM
    I'm loving the touchscreen keyboard.

I've been a physical keyboard guy for years. The last six months I've tried all the touchscreen keyboards on the competition and gotten used to all of them - iOS, Android (Swiftkey, Swype), Windows Phone 8.

BlackBerry 10 keyboard beats them all. But you do need to use it for a WEEK. The keyboard learns a lot as you use it more and more. You don't realize it as it's happening, but the other day I switched to my white Z10 after using the black one for two weeks, and I was crushed that the keyboard wasn't as good (as I lost all my learned behaviors). But it's already getting better. Just have to use it. On that note, sounds like keyboard learnings will get backed up to BBID eventually. Probably a 10.1 release feature.

Also - on the big hands.. Simon Sage has huge hands and he's getting on with it pretty well. I think he's still wanting the physical Q10, but he's doing OK with the Z10. Right now, I love both. Always areas where a physical will be better, but for a touchscreen keyboard I'm pounding out text like crazy on the Z10.
    02-07-13 11:15 AM
    mine doesnt tilt either, must be a setting that needs to change.

*update*
    looks like rotation lock is on by default, swipe down from the top to get the menu and click rotation lock
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-07-13 11:20 AM
    I feel its time I retire my 9860 and go to the Q10. Its just that, I miss a real keyboard and I need my phone all the time. I especially hate it when your hands are cold.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    02-07-13 11:26 AM

*update*
    looks like rotation lock is on by default, swipe down from the top to get the menu and click rotation lock
    Good to know, thanks.
    02-07-13 12:42 PM
    I've only had my Z10 for 2 days and I can already type much faster on the Z10 than I could ever on my 9810.
    02-07-13 12:54 PM
    I've only had my Z10 for 2 days and I can already type much faster on the Z10 than I could ever on my 9810.
    That's encouraging but I don't think I'll ever be able for match the speed and accuracy of my Bold 9700.
    02-07-13 01:13 PM

I've been a physical keyboard guy for years. The last six months I've tried all the touchscreen keyboards on the competition and gotten used to all of them - iOS, Android (Swiftkey, Swype), Windows Phone 8.

BlackBerry 10 keyboard beats them all. But you do need to use it for a WEEK. The keyboard learns a lot as you use it more and more. You don't realize it as it's happening, but the other day I switched to my white Z10 after using the black one for two weeks, and I was crushed that the keyboard wasn't as good (as I lost all my learned behaviors). But it's already getting better. Just have to use it. On that note, sounds like keyboard learnings will get backed up to BBID eventually. Probably a 10.1 release feature.

Also - on the big hands.. Simon Sage has huge hands and he's getting on with it pretty well. I think he's still wanting the physical Q10, but he's doing OK with the Z10. Right now, I love both. Always areas where a physical will be better, but for a touchscreen keyboard I'm pounding out text like crazy on the Z10.
    I'll try to see if the Typing experience has improved after 1 week.
    02-07-13 02:06 PM
    I'm flying on mine now but my wife on the other hand is hating it a lot(I pushed a white Z10 on her but she didn't want to give up her 9900 quite yet). She makes too many errors due to having long fingernails(she said the same about the iPhone when I got her one). I told her to cut her nails and problem solved. She proceeded to give me "that look". Hahaha
    PJD642 and vmeyu like this.
    02-07-13 02:27 PM
    I'm getting pretty fast on it but I miss my buttons, it's just not the same, I need that satisfying click!
    Never thought it'd see the day... LOL.
    02-07-13 02:35 PM
    The blackberry keyboard beats them all. Anyone that says otherwise is directly disputing kevin.
    02-07-13 02:38 PM

I'll try to see if the Typing experience has improved after 1 week.
    I'm in the same boat, I LOVE my Z10, and I definitely find the keyboard wayyyy better then an iphone or whatnot, but I still can't type on it as fast as I could with my 9900.. But, it's only been 3 days, I want to give it a full week, maybe 2 to really evaluate it and see how I make out.

On the other hand, I passed it to my wife to try out last night, and I COULD NOT BELIEVE the speed at which she could type on it.. but she's coming from a 9800, and she never slides it open, always uses the touch screen, and the BB10 is miles ahead of the 9800 touch keyboard.. looks like I'm gonna have to go get her one too now!
    02-07-13 02:38 PM

Yes and again I quote Kevin. I've got quite big hands and when I'm on a roll I type a lot and fast as well. The 9780 has been ok so far but having slightly larger fingers than the average person I sometimes hit two keys at the same time and that caused a mess. With time typing on the keyboard also became a bit tiredsome and for that only I was so hot on the 9900 which keyboard was even better for my hands. Despite my love for the 9900 I decided to hold out for the Z10.

As a previous iPhone owner (whose auto correct sucks like there's no tomorrow) I was really looking forward to the touchscreen keyboard of the Z10 and it's amazing. It really blows me away. Apart from the autocorrect and the word substitutions the typing speed increases further and further. As BlackBerry said the keyboard remembers where you hit keys and uses that letter. So far after a week of using I can say that it's a joy to use the keyboard. I infact have so much trust in the keyboard that I sometimes don't even look for mistakes as most of the time the Z10 fixes that for me. It's that good that doc to go is now being used very frequently as typing is so easy.

Overall I really started to adore that keyboard.
    02-07-13 02:46 PM
    I can no longer texting and driving T.T
    02-07-13 02:48 PM
    My problem is I keep looking at the screen and reading the word suggestions. If I would just type like I used to on the 9900, then I may get just as fast.
    02-07-13 02:59 PM

I've been a physical keyboard guy for years.

BlackBerry 10 keyboard beats them all. But you do need to use it for a WEEK. The keyboard learns a lot as you use it more and more. You don't realize it as it's happening...
    Agreed. The Z10 seems to know what I want to type before I finish the preceding word. However, as you say it will take about a week of regular usage to get comfortable and retrain your fingers / thumb(s). I have been trying to use the Z10 in single-handed mode, aside from when the device is in landscape orientation, simply to force myself to "think differently".
    02-07-13 03:10 PM
    I can no longer texting and driving T.T
    Texting and driving is a traffic offence in many jurisdictions. With the predictive key board you could compose a text message while waiting at the traffic lights compared to the "must type every letter" style of the previous BlackBerrys. Put down the BlackBerry Z10 and focus on driving safely.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    02-07-13 03:12 PM
    Texting and driving is a traffic offence in many jurisdictions. With the predictive key board you could compose a text message while waiting at the traffic lights compared to the "must type every letter" style of the previous BlackBerrys. Put down the BlackBerry Z10 and focus on driving safely.
    Not with autotext. Where is the autotext? That feature was a huge bonus. I use to be able to type on the go.
    02-07-13 03:27 PM
    i used to be a staunch keyboard guy but this z10 is making me having doubts. the keyboard is fantastic. sometimes i type a few letters and swipe up the rest of the sentence and think to myself "damn that easy". i've got pretty big hands too... the auto-substitution fixes most issues caused by that though.
    02-07-13 03:59 PM

*update*
    Thanks for that. Will give it a go when I get home. If I get home, trying to get as much work done tonight in case I can't get in tomorrow due to the storm coming in.
    02-07-13 05:45 PM
    Trust the auto correct and type as normal. You'll be surprised.

I've found the transition smoother than I thought it would be.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    02-07-13 05:56 PM
    Thorsten Heins has already declared that he loved the physical keyboard but after using the Z10 for the last while, he says he will never go back to the old physical keyboard. Says a lot about the typing experience on the Z10.
    02-07-13 05:58 PM
65 123