Long-time BlackBerry users are fairly familiar with how application permissions have been handled with previous devices but I would like to know whether there is any user input regarding application permissions for the new BlackBerry 10 OS. Am I able to turn on/off specific permissions as I could previously? Must I accept all or none upon installing an application (or not) like in Android?
    02-07-13 07:26 AM
    When you run an app for the first time it will prompt you for the permissions that app is requesting. There are checkboxes so you can select which ones you want to grant it.

If you deny permissions it's up to the individual app on how it handles it. Some apps may intentionally not run if you deny a certain permission. Or the permission may be required for what the app does so it will not function (IE denying access to GPS for a navigation app).
    02-07-13 07:32 AM
    Also, you can change the permissions any time in the settings. All apps along with their permissions show up there. You can even sort by all apps requiring a certain permission. Accessing your photos, for example. As a former Android user, I am thoroughly impressed with blackberry's implementation.
    02-07-13 08:26 AM
    This is FANTASTIC. I sorely missed the control I had over app permissions when I moved from BB to Android. I really can't wait for a Q10.
    02-08-13 03:06 PM
    After reading this thread during some development work, I felt the need to update it with some much needed clarification. The level of control you have over each app's permissions is dependent upon it's source. Native BB10 apps function as described in this article. Android apps that have been ported to BB10 are all-or-nothing. When you download the app, you'll be greeted with the list of permissions, and only an "OK" button. You're only option besides pressing OK is to return to the homescreen and uninstall the app.
    05-21-13 06:23 PM
    Sorry to bring up an old thread.

But to add onto this. Even for non-android apps. Even for apps purposely built for BB10, with the BB10 logo on the icon in app world, there are some programs that get access to certain functions, and it never presents itself as a choice to the user, nor can the user EVER change this under the Application Permissions setting.

For example, some apps get internet access. They never asked. And when you try to change it after you've installed it? Well you cant either. Its not there at all under the Application Permissions setting.

Some security.
    07-13-13 02:44 AM