Hi,

I'm a 100% n00B to PB, ordered a 64 gig PB yesterday, which arrives today.

Any tips and tricks?

And anything to watch out for?

Thanks
    02-07-13 02:02 AM
    Hi,

Welcome, and congrats on getting a Playbook - shows you're a discerning user! Hopefully will give you many years of enjoyment.
    As far as tips and tricks go, see the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the Playbook Forum.
    You'll hear loads of talk about BB10 coming to the Playbook. My advice to you is to forget about that for now. It will come at some point, but no-one know when, so its best to just not worry about it for now, and get excited when an announcement is made.

Chris.
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    02-07-13 03:20 AM
    Hi,

Welcome, and congrats on getting a Playbook - shows you're a discerning user! Hopefully will give you many years of enjoyment.
    As far as tips and tricks go, see the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the Playbook Forum.
    You'll hear loads of talk about BB10 coming to the Playbook. My advice to you is to forget about that for now. It will come at some point, but no-one know when, so its best to just not worry about it for now, and get excited when an announcement is made.

Chris.
    Thanks Chris, i do have the sticky on my bookmarks now!!
    I do have a stupid doubt though, is the OS2.0 the same as BB10 for PB? Also, will i be able to load all Google Play apps on OS2 directly or do i need to do some fiddling or something??
    02-07-13 03:38 AM
    Thanks Chris, i do have the sticky on my bookmarks now!!
    I do have a stupid doubt though, is the OS2.0 the same as BB10 for PB? Also, will i be able to load all Google Play apps on OS2 directly or do i need to do some fiddling or something??
    Not stupid at all. To my understanding, although the BB10 is based on the OS that our PBs have (QNX), the two OSs are not really the same and we have yet to see it (BB10) coming to our PBs "later this year" (there is a plethora of posts on this topic).

You can always sideload android apps to ur PB. HOWEVER, they may affect your PB's performance and some of them will work and some will not. The easiest way to sideload android apps is using a chrome's plugin and a source of .bar files can be found here although not all of them work. But you can always download the .apk files (android apps) and convert them to .bar files (PB apps) by using this online converter and see if it works.
    ChrisMay, jmd.aKBar and r p1 like this.
    02-07-13 04:22 AM
    Not stupid at all. To my understanding, although the BB10 is based on the OS that our PBs have (QNX), the two OSs are not really the same and we have yet to see it (BB10) coming to our PBs "later this year" (there is a plethora of posts on this topic).

You can always sideload android apps to ur PB. HOWEVER, they may affect your PB's performance and some of them will work and some will not. The easiest way to sideload android apps is using a chrome's plugin and a source of .bar files can be found here although not all of them work. But you can always download the .apk files (android apps) and convert them to .bar files (PB apps) by using this online converter and see if it works.
    Thanks a lot dave... Will try this tonight when i reach home and let you guys know how it went, right now in the office..
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    02-07-13 04:37 AM
    Nice Post! Everything you need to know about SideLoading in 3 lines...!
    jmd.aKBar and dave_h_946 like this.
    02-07-13 05:21 AM
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    02-07-13 03:20 PM
    Welcome to the family and enjoy your new baby in the very best of health and good fortune.
    I would not know what your purpose and goal would be for your PlayBook, but, above all, ignore the louts who boast about the competing tablets having several hundred thousand apps compared to what the PB has. My usual reply is "Do you have them all? " Figure out what your needs and priorities are and check BlackBerry World for the selection, read the reviews, check out the appropriate threads on Crackberry.com and you should be able to find and buy most if not all that you need and want to turn your PlayBook into the most useful and entertaining tool you could get. Enjoy!
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    02-07-13 11:00 PM
    Welcome, and enjoy!
    Thanks a lot

Welcome to the family and enjoy your new baby in the very best of health and good fortune.
    I would not know what your purpose and goal would be for your PlayBook, but, above all, ignore the louts who boast about the competing tablets having several hundred thousand apps compared to what the PB has. My usual reply is "Do you have them all? " Figure out what your needs and priorities are and check BlackBerry World for the selection, read the reviews, check out the appropriate threads on Crackberry.com and you should be able to find and buy most if not all that you need and want to turn your PlayBook into the most useful and entertaining tool you could get. Enjoy!
    @pakerney thanks a bunch... for me it was a call between samsung galaxy note or the pb... and i got the deal of my life on pb, so ran for it. already have a 9780, and i kinda love it..
    and mostly this tab will be used for ebooks and music; and an occasional video or two.. :P
    02-10-13 12:50 AM
    Thanks a lot

@pakerney thanks a bunch... for me it was a call between samsung galaxy note or the pb... and i got the deal of my life on pb, so ran for it. already have a 9780, and i kinda love it..
    and mostly this tab will be used for ebooks and music; and an occasional video or two.. :P
    haha! thats what I thought I would use it for too, then it was used for GPS in my car when I got the car mount, then gaming when I pick up my wife from work when I wait for her which is connected through my car stereo and sounds amazing! LOL or streaming movies through the car stereo! LOL fun fun!
    02-10-13 01:59 AM
    haha! thats what I thought I would use it for too, then it was used for GPS in my car when I got the car mount, then gaming when I pick up my wife from work when I wait for her which is connected through my car stereo and sounds amazing! LOL or streaming movies through the car stereo! LOL fun fun!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Don't you dare! DON'T YOU DARE GO ON GIVING ME IDEAS!!!!

Even I'm pretty sure i will end up changing the use pattern..
    02-10-13 02:07 AM