I had always thought that I would want to stick with a QWERTY phone, but after seeing the delay for the Q10 and also the Q10 style (not my taste), I decided to try a Z10 instead. So I picked one up yesterday.

Overall the Z10 is good, although there are some quirks. It is an OS 1.0. But really, it feels fine to me in general and I am happy with my purchase.

But the reason I am posting here is because the keyboard is AMAZING! If you are thinking about waiting for the Q10 - don't. I occasionally use an Iphone at work and I find the keyboard a bit challenging for my fat fingers (6'3", 210 pounds). However, the Z10 has a fantastic keyboard! It is easy to use. And the word prediction works great. Anytime I am going to type a word longer than 3 or 4 characters then I know in advance that I will be 'swiping up' the word instead of finishing it. The learning curve is very short (30s?).

Honestly, the Z10 probably has a better keyboard than the Q10. Plan to try it in the store for 5 minutes first and you'll see what I mean.

(PS. The autocorrect on the space bar is a nuisance and I still need to figure out a way around that, but it just means an extra one or two key presses for now.)
    02-06-13 04:44 PM
    Many around here plan to try out the Z10 of course. If you are planning to buy such an expensive device, you should be considering multiple options. However, I for one am not actually on the QWERTY for speed alone, but rather the better typing experience. A flat surface can't replace the feel and feedback of actual keys.

I also think it is quite interesting to say the Z is better than the Q without having even tried it. The Q has some unique features which puts it apart from the Z - besides the keyboard.
    02-06-13 06:33 PM
    Q10 hands down. 9930 keyboard allows me to type and not ever look down. people have said it is freaky when i am typing on my phone and looking/talking to them as well. harder to do on a touch screen but not impossible. im a big fan of QWERTY ever since the 8703e
    chadecoen likes this.
    02-06-13 06:40 PM
    I've got to say that i was going to get Q10 but Z10 keyboard is really good. comfortable to type and prediction text works great.
    02-06-13 06:43 PM
    I presume that the Q10 experience would be the same as 9900 except for the predictive Algorithm. I am glad you can type on Z10 but I am doubtful. I would need more than 5 min to decide however and since no one I know has or will have a Z10 ...I would be going Q10.
    02-06-13 06:47 PM
    ya. it's real good... the auto correction is almost freaky how accurate it is.
    02-06-13 07:04 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    both will be amazing! .. but i just went from bb9900 to bbZ10 .. love it!!!! ... may also get the Q later too! ....
    02-06-13 07:13 PM
    i have never used a keyboard phone... but with the Z10 i feel like a magician...
    it is crazy at how well it works.
    02-06-13 07:19 PM
    I know that some people are set on the Q10 and that's totally cool. It's your phone so it's totally your choice. I just wanted to get the word out that, in my humble opinion, the keyboard on the Z10 is *better* than the physical keyboard on something like a Q10.

Of course get you want, but I'd strongly suggest taking a closer look at the Z10 while you're waiting.

two cents.
    revtech, RoboticGolem and artttom like this.
    02-06-13 07:58 PM
    Well the Z10 ain't out here in my country for the. Neyxt 4 weeks anyways, if the Q10 really hits in april, it would just be roughly another 4-6 weeks of waiting. Besides IMO once you got the phone, it didn't really matter if you got it two days or two months ago.

I have watched a lot of videos and the Z10 keyboard is really, really nice. If it works just half as good as shown in those vids, it is a real winner. However, one shouldn't only look at the keyboard:
    The Q10 has a 2100mAH battery, combine that with the smaller screen size/resolution, and the Q10 *should* blow the Z10 out of the water in terms of battery life.
    The Q also has this Type 'n Go feature, which is a universal search on steriods. Since the 9900, I am an avid fan of this search function and 50% of the time I use my phone just over this feature. Now the Q improves it even further, if it works how I imagine, it should really rock.
    That AMOLED display, love it or hate it, should have better blacks and colors in general. Also you can actively use it to save battery life. Of course the pentile matrix and the question how good the performance will be outdoors darkens this a bit.

So the Q10 simply has a bit more packed with it than "just" your QWERTY keyboard. I can't wait to try a Z10out myself, but I surely won't buy it till I tried the Q10 too.
    Neely2005, revtech and retomex like this.
    02-06-13 09:07 PM
    There is only one reason why I'm thinking on passing on the Q10. With the Z10 I only have to type a few letters to write a complete sentence. With the Q10 I would still have to write the whole thing.
    02-06-13 09:10 PM
    There is only one reason why I'm thinking on passing on the Q10. With the Z10 I only have to type a few letters to write a complete sentence. With the Q10 I would still have to write the whole thing.
    The Q10 will also feature word substitution, however it will work more like it does on the Playbook rather than the Z10 (of course). So you most likely will be able to write (much?) faster on the Z than you could on the Q. But that shouldn't be surprising anymore. However maybe I am old fashioned, but I mostly like to actually type my sentences and words in a whole, without too much aiding from the system itself.
    02-06-13 09:15 PM
    I know that some people are set on the Q10 and that's totally cool. It's your phone so it's totally your choice. I just wanted to get the word out that, in my humble opinion, the keyboard on the Z10 is *better* than the physical keyboard on something like a Q10.
    I think you are overstating the case for the z10's keyboard since the q10 will have one that is at least as good as the 9900 and my z10 while easily being the best virtual keyboard I have ever used is not quite as good for churning out those longer messages as that one.

I would definitely agree with you that people should consider not waiting on the q10 though, the keyboard on the z10 is going to be good enough for a lot of people and when they do not need they keyboard they obviously regain a lot of screen real estate for other uses.
    Geeoff and Neely2005 like this.
    02-07-13 12:32 AM
    I think the important thing for people to consider is how they tend to use their phone currently, work out how much time they spend inputing vs viewing on their phone, the longer they spend doing the former then the less of a loss is the reduction in screen size since the vkb takes up half of that when it is active after all.
    Neely2005 and revtech like this.
    02-07-13 12:43 AM
    Thanks for your input! I was thinking of waiting but the more and more I saw the z10 in action I liked it until I loved it. Now I'm pretty concrete to getting the Z10
    02-07-13 12:44 AM
    Good points but I'm still waiting for Q10. The constantly tag backcover as ugly, now it looks so hot to me. Maybe because it's that "ugly" that I like it. Doesn't matter to me. I like the OS, even if it's still in early age, and the physical keypad.
    02-07-13 12:48 AM
    #1 reason to get a BB. QWERTY!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-07-13 05:23 AM
    I had always thought that I would want to stick with a QWERTY phone, but after seeing the delay for the Q10 and also the Q10 style (not my taste), I decided to try a Z10 instead. So I picked one up yesterday.

Overall the Z10 is good, although there are some quirks. It is an OS 1.0. But really, it feels fine to me in general and I am happy with my purchase.

But the reason I am posting here is because the keyboard is AMAZING! If you are thinking about waiting for the Q10 - don't. I occasionally use an Iphone at work and I find the keyboard a bit challenging for my fat fingers (6'3", 210 pounds). However, the Z10 has a fantastic keyboard! It is easy to use. And the word prediction works great. Anytime I am going to type a word longer than 3 or 4 characters then I know in advance that I will be 'swiping up' the word instead of finishing it. The learning curve is very short (30s?).

Honestly, the Z10 probably has a better keyboard than the Q10. Plan to try it in the store for 5 minutes first and you'll see what I mean.

(PS. The autocorrect on the space bar is a nuisance and I still need to figure out a way around that, but it just means an extra one or two key presses for now.)
    i agree completely.. z10.. great keyboard.. im typing as fast as i did on my 9900...blackberry really did well..

a solution for your autocoreect ... type your word out... if it autocorrects to another word after pressing space, swipe backwards on the keyboard (as if you were deleting a world) and the word changes back to what you wrote initially...
    revtech and Geeoff like this.
    02-07-13 05:31 AM
    Yeaahhh, I'll wait for the Q1 because I need the keyboard too and like a poster above I can type without really looking at the keyboard. I've never liked the predictive text and hope there's an option to shut that off on the new phone too.
    blicked likes this.
    02-07-13 06:30 AM
    Many around here plan to try out the Z10 of course. If you are planning to buy such an expensive device, you should be considering multiple options. However, I for one am not actually on the QWERTY for speed alone, but rather the better typing experience. A flat surface can't replace the feel and feedback of actual keys.

I also think it is quite interesting to say the Z is better than the Q without having even tried it. The Q has some unique features which puts it apart from the Z - besides the keyboard.
    What is the diff set of features are u referring to?
    02-07-13 08:02 AM
    What is the diff set of features are u referring to?
    See post # 10 . . .
    02-07-13 08:22 AM
    I have always been a physical keyboard person. I can comfortably say, Z10 is the best virtual keyboard I've ever used (and I've used the best of the best on other platforms)

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-07-13 08:39 AM
    #1 reason to get a BB. QWERTY!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spot on that man. I've not tried a Z10, it's too far to a phone shop in nasty weather, but possibly I know all I need to know about it. It's a touchscreen phone in a world awash with some very good examples of that type. The artist formerly known as RIM has had bites at that cherry before, and what good did it do them? How many Storms/Torches did they sell? However good the the Z10's simulated keyboard is, it isn't real, and you can't feel the keys.

For me, Blackberry is email and a physical keyboard in a quality package. But gmail polls all your email accounts and delivers them to one inbox very efficiently, and with the Z10 the Blackberry email experience has fundamentally changed for the individual consumer, from what I read. I'll be very interested in the Q10, but I can't see why I should want a Z10. After all, it ain't cheap.
    jegs2 likes this.
    02-07-13 10:06 AM
    I've got a 9930 and no real reason to get a Z10. Honestly speaking, I would prefer the look and feel of a Keyboard phone anyway, there is something elegant about having a phoen with a Keyboard on it.

Now, of course the Z10 is a gorgeous phone, but after seeing pictures of the Q10, I'm pretty convinced that is a winner for Me!
    jegs2 likes this.
    02-07-13 12:23 PM
    I cannot live without QWERTY!!
    CallMeNop likes this.
    02-07-13 12:49 PM
87 123 ...