Can someone explain to me the settings my phone has as options?
    I know what LTE is so I have not selected that(Unless I am downloading something)
    The other options are HSPA+UMTS/GSM
    HSPA+/UMTS
    and GSM

on my old Curve, it was simply "mobile network", Wifi, and was 3g etc I wish to know which does what so I can eliminate unnecessary battery drain

if you could give me a breakdown of each and what it does, as well as some basic info
    02-06-13 02:49 PM
    LTE = 4G
    HSPA+ = H+ (Faster type of 3G)
    UMTS = 3G
    GSM = 2G (EDGE/GPRS)
    02-06-13 02:51 PM
    LTE = 4G
    HSPA+ = H+ (Faster type of 3G)
    UMTS = 3G
    GSM = 2G (EDGE/GPRS)
    Thank you sir. Could you explain to me which I should have on for maximum performance/Battery usage
    I as understand, it will needlessly search for a signal with LTE even when i am not using it, and only to turn on LTE when I am looking for a quick dL.
    02-06-13 02:55 PM
    Thank you sir. Could you explain to me which I should have on for maximum performance/Battery usage
    I as understand, it will needlessly search for a signal with LTE even when i am not using it, and only to turn on LTE when I am looking for a quick dL.
    You're Welcome! 2G(GSM) will save your battery the most, but it's the slowest type of Data connection. It's suitable for BBM but not for browsing ever.
    UMTS is the 3G, Don't think you can select it without having HSPA+ on with it too. on older devices HSPA+ drained the battery but on a 4.2inch screen device HSPA+ should be ok and it's excellent for browsing too.
    LTE is the deal breaker here. It kills the battery assuming your carrier offers 4G LTE but it really offers insane speeds that it loads pages instantly!. If your carrier doesn't offer 4G LTE disable it or your device will drain the battery looking for LTE coverage.
    02-06-13 02:58 PM
    does that mean the 'H' on my phone means I am NOT on a LTE network?
    but i am with bell...
    02-06-13 03:01 PM
    does that mean the 'H' on my phone means I am NOT on a LTE network?
    but i am with bell...
    Yes H+ /H is HSPA+ It's not LTE. In case of LTE it will write LTE all in upper case to be easily noticed. Maybe there is no LTE coverage where you are, or Bell is disabling LTE of your account for a reason.
    02-06-13 03:07 PM
    Yes H+ /H is HSPA+ It's not LTE. In case of LTE it will write LTE all in upper case to be easily noticed. Maybe there is no LTE coverage where you are, or Bell is disabling LTE of your account for a reason.
    oh boy. i will be adding that to my list of complaints. this is horrific, they have no idea what they are doing.
    02-06-13 03:13 PM
    Keep in mind, if you're on Telus (Koodo) or Bell (Virgin), GSM will not work as those carriers don't have an old EDGE/2G network as their CDMA network was the precursor to their 3G network.

I find that using HSPA is optimal for me. I don't need LTE speeds. LTE is faster than most home internet connections in Canada (unless you're on way high end cable or fibre op). Also, the big thing for me with LTE turned off is that I bounce in and out of LTE coverage during the day which seems to chew up battery (on my iPhone too) as it switches between networks. Added benefit too is that HSPA will result in better battery life. You'll notice that more than you'll notice your phone not going lightning fast when loading webpages.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    02-06-13 03:15 PM