So I got a z10 from Rogers yesterday...

Used it all day yesterday and today without problems. Now though, I'm being prompted to "Enter Device Password" in order to do anything. I never setup a device password, and I've never seen this screen before, I've only used facebook, bbm, and made some calls. I looked at the little manuals that are included and they don't say anything about this....

Did I do something wrong?
    02-06-13 02:04 PM
    This happened to me also.. The password ended up being the one I used for dev mode / sideloading.
    Adeeb Idroos likes this.
    02-06-13 02:12 PM
    Lol, didn't you guys know when you side load an app your BB10 gets password protected immediately? It's the same as the PlayBook.
    02-06-13 02:14 PM
    02-06-13 02:16 PM
    If that's a ported Android app then yes. If he used a USB / PC to load it then yes. Ask him what did he input in the password field.
    02-06-13 02:18 PM
    This happened to me twice now. After the first time the device should have been whipped already but now it happened again....
    02-07-13 12:05 AM
    Rogers told me to wipe my device to restore the factory settings... doing it now but just realize that my device has just been wiped twice (due to 10 bad passwords), and I am doing the third time now... can't be the problem.

Before doing the third wipe I did check the device password setting and it was set to off, so was the development mode.

After this wipe I am going to set the device password actively myself and see what happens
    02-07-13 12:16 AM
    Just to update that this issue has been resolved by setting the password myself. When the device was asking password again, I was able to use my own password to unlock the screen.

Haven't tried disabling the lock screen password yet... prefer one anyway. when I get the chance to try it, will report back.
    02-07-13 09:57 AM
    Same as me, 2-3 hours after sideload, it's locked
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    03-24-13 07:49 PM
    When you sideload apps onto your device you setup a password for your device. You have to, there is no way around it. So yes, it would auto-lock itself it the phone then set idle for the default amount of time. You may not have set a device password, but the sideloading password becomes the device password and can be used to unlock the phone at any time.

I hope this clears up the confusion you guys are having.
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-24-13 07:52 PM
    I haven't side loaded any apps and my z10 locked itself...Right now it's going through the security wipe. This is going on my third day with the phone...
    04-18-13 01:21 AM
    This is currently not an acceptable suggestion (i.e. reset )

My phone has worked fine for 10 days
    It took a S/w update last night
    and now Exchange connects (at last)
    This morning I come to look at it, swipe, and it asks for a password ?

If this is a coporate policy enforced - fine BUT tell me, and let me set a password
    in fact, tell me and make me set a password before enabling the Mail sync.

If this is a new S/w feature - Tell me, and let me set a password.

BUT ABSOLUTELY do not lock me out of 400 pound device with valuable data on it
    AND that I need as a valueable communications tool.

Currently, hours away from getting rid of it..
    (once I work out how to get into it)
    Cannot risk this happening again.
    06-14-13 03:57 AM
    update:
    worked it out (in my case)
    While setting up my exchange email...
    (NB it did several screen locks etc without re-prompting after setting up - else I would have put 2 & 2 together earlier)

Anyway:
    During the setup - it several times prompts for information and re-input of the same information,
    afterall you have to setup it , let it fail, then it asks for advance options etc

the last prompt was 'probably' not for exhange server password
    but for the device password !!
    but it Never says - 'you need to set the device password -> Enter a DEVICE password'
    it just prompts AGAIN for password (twice).

So this is bad Email setup,
    BB10 needs to be very clear, that 'you have no Device password'
    You must set one up, and are you ready. etc
    and if you refuse, Then it should either
    * Not sync email AND keep setup but disabled - IDEAL situation OR
    * delete the config (less acceptable - and what it was doing during the previous faulty release)
    06-14-13 05:12 AM
    Howdy, need some help with the PW problem. I never have used a PW before, but decided to used Development Mode for Android app, dry run, meaning only to go to Development Mode, put in the Ip address and a PW. Then it accepted it, so then I turned DM off.. set my phone down .. It went to sleep, when I came back at woke it, it wanted my PW to complete the wake up to have access. Now every time I to use my phone after it has gone to sleep, it asks for the PW. I do not want nor do I feel I should do a security wipe, so has anyone found or is there a way to clear the PW, etc..
    Thanks in Advance,
    Enjoy Your Day and Z10,
    ps. I now have 2000 hours of use, not one issue, unless you call this one.. Love My Z
    06-15-13 08:45 AM
    Settings -> security and privacy -> device password (2nd option from the top)

Turn device password off in there.
    CaptrfsBB likes this.
    06-15-13 08:57 AM
    Hey, thanks I got a call from the wife on her way to work, that is when I wrote the post. After we hung up, took a coffee break, came back to the Z and it was asleep. But it did not ask me for the PW.. ??? Go Figure that?? But I'm going to check behind for the future.. By the way I appreciate all the Forum BB help and CB. How do I post my Pic on this CB site? I know it's dumb question, but I like to learn, even if it is dumb.
    Thanks all you BB Addicts for making us all stronger to defend our rights and Americans, part of which is why I love my BB's for the past 25 years.. Cause you can do your Own thing with a BB, well almost .... oops, that did not sound just right.. don't take it the wrong way, or I'll have to *&*&&%
    Thanks - AHA
    Enjoy
    06-15-13 09:35 AM
    AFAIK, there are few cases that would enable Password on your device:
    - Enable Development Mode
    - Connect to Corporate Exchange account

I guess your device asked to enable password in one of those cases and you might forget it.

Turn off DM doesn't mean your device will turn off password. You will have to turn off it manually and must know current device password.

Posted via CB10
    CaptrfsBB likes this.
    06-15-13 09:56 AM
    Today I've got the problem - Z10 locked and asked for a device password. I never set up any password earlier and after failed 10 times, I swiped all data and reset the phone. Originally it works well...but after 2 hours, I realized the phone keep asking a device password ?! I've asked after reset the phone last time that no password is set....
    Can somebody advice what's happening...I'm really fed up...
    06-16-13 08:49 AM
    Hi Happy to find the solution. I've experienced the same issue and I found to be the password I use to sideload on Blackberry World. Try this one !!
    07-30-13 02:57 AM
    haha you saved my *** !
    FF22 likes this.
    04-05-15 08:51 AM